Thread: 150 ttsx rl17 30-06

Default 150 ttsx rl17 30-06

My rem 700 shoots 168 tsx with 60gr of rl19 pretty darn well, but I have four pounds of 17 I would like to try with some 150's. I will be dropping down to the 150 ttsx to try and gain a ill speed and to try and help them open up better at distances over 350yds. I realize its burn rate is comparible to 4350 and plan to tinker with it and see what it likes. Just seeing if anyone has a good load their rifle likes to maybe help save me some time and powder/bullets . Thank you

What about using a more reliable/predictable bullet to save on components ? As far as loads go, I have none with any Barnes bullet design. Noslers, Speer and Hornady I have several, and fortunately for me they all shoot to the same POI with the same charge. Also, all bullets have performed reliably and predictably out to 300 yards. Never had a reason to shoot any farther.

Enjoy developing a load, it is one thing that keeps shooting interesting to me.

I shoot the 30-06 and the 155gr Scenar with RL17. It was a hammer on SE AK deer this last year, and I have little doubt you will be left wanting with the 150gr TTSX. (My old computer crashed recently, that had all my load data on it) Good luck with your load work-up. RL17 did excellent in my 30-06.

Alliants web site has load date for 150 grain Speer Boatails and at 58 grains is a good starting load to work up from. I use 180 gr TTSX in my 06 and the Speer data works fine for me, think I even bumped it a bit and had no problems at all.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I'm shooting 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds in front of 54 grains of Re17 and CCI 250 LRM primers. I am getting 2877 FPS average MV and 1/2 groups at 100 yds. This is my new go to load. It is close to max pressure so start at a lower charge and work. 53grains gave me 2800 FPS and the same 1/2 inch groups, 53.5 grains opened up to 1 inch.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

In my 06 with 180 grain TTSX's I'm running 54.5 grains as Alliant recommends on a starting load, but haven't developed up from that. When the weather gets a bit nicer I'm gonna bump it up a couple grains at a crack till it matches factory load speads. Tested the load a year and a half ago agains't federal factory on my chrono and the recommended RL17 load is actually slower than a factory Federal load, so you have some room to work with on Alliants safety starting load factor. Just don't go more than a grain up at a time and check for pressure indications on your loads as you shoot them. I built a shooting table 2 years ago for Birchwood that fits between their benches and can anchor my rifle rest on ( Lead Sled), but also have a quick mount Lee Press mount on to actually make loads onsite and test them till I get the right stuff set up. Then I go home and mass produce loads. Just start with Alliant load specs and work up from there. Don't try to push anything out of a 30-06 faster than 3000 feet per second and you may live to hunt another day.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I finally ordered a box off cabelas last night. Looks like they are somewhat stocked up again in the Barnes department. 3000 is my goal, which I don't think will be to difficult with a 24" barrell. I was reading that 58 was max charge and planned on starting around the 56 gr area and goin up from there. Man I really like the 168's in the 06 but part of the reason I want to try 150's is to save them 168's for the wby. I'm sure the 150's will pack quite the punch at those speeds and should be an awesome all around hunting load.

IMR 4064 pushes 150s out of my 22" barrel at 3000fps, you may want to consider that powder if you have no success.

Finally got out and shot. 58.5 have me a three shot average of 2998, and extremely tight groups