Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Those Who Reserve the USFS Cabins in Alaska

Default To Those Who Reserve the USFS Cabins in Alaska

If you don't mind, shoot me a PM and I'll respond privately with a few questions. Just gathering some info, trying to get my arms around the current process.

I'll also post this in the Camping Forum to reach out to the non-hunters.

Thanks,

Michael

what questions do you have? I have done it several times.
    You just log on to their website and check for availability. If it is available when you want to reserve it you do so and pay with your credit card. You can reserve them 6 months in advance. It is so easy a caveman can do it.
    this is the reservation website.
    http://www.recreation.gov/
    Maybe others can benefit from asking your questions on the open forum.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just as Kasilof stated, it's pretty easy.
    BK

I will say for those cabins off the beaten path if someone is in it when you arrive be polite and work it out.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I will say for those cabins off the beaten path if someone is in it when you arrive be polite and work it out.JMOFO

Agreed Will, tho' once I was staying in a boat accessible only cabin out of Seward when at around 0230 a group (6 or so as I recall) of sea kayakers showed up and just walked right into the cabin. I'd reserved the cabin months in advance (this was a stay in January), and after being TOLD by the kayakers that they weren't leaving......They left. I won't get into the details of why they changed their minds so quickly, but suffice it to say, they did, and good riddance.

To the OP, as others posted, the process for booking is pretty painless, just print off all receipts.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Agreed Will, tho' once I was staying in a boat accessible only cabin out of Seward when at around 0230 a group (6 or so as I recall) of sea kayakers showed up and just walked right into the cabin. I'd reserved the cabin months in advance (this was a stay in January), and after being TOLD by the kayakers that they weren't leaving......They left. I won't get into the details of why they changed their minds so quickly, but suffice it to say, they did, and good riddance.

To the OP, as others posted, the process for booking is pretty painless, just print off all receipts.
    Good ole bush case of how bad do you really want it On the flip side if they had the paper I would have said come on in and let me move my stuff out of the way.I'll head out in the morning.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have never had an issue with others being in a cabin I had reserved.
    I have heard of people who thought they could just use one for free. Fire started and plenty of wood cut and split. Getting all settled in when the people who reserved it arrived. They just left as it was the right thing to do.
    If you are there and I have it reserved unless it is an emergency I will not be staying with you. You will leave. I didn't pay to stay with a bunch of strangers in the woods. Thats why they have the reservation system.
    I will also not be found staying in one without a reservation unless it is a true emergency.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Depends on the location. Especially with some of the closer-in cabins it's not uncommon to find "squatters" when you arrive. Some have even had the gonads to try to to BS me that they were legitimate renters for the night. Be sure to bring your receipt/reservation papers with you, and give them the boot.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Everyone has pretty much covered it but I would add if you are looking to get into one of the more popular USFS cabins you have to book it really early...like many months in advance. For example, one of the busiest cabins in the Chugach National Forest is the Crescent Lake cabin. I checked the reservations and there is currently only one day left open in the prime months of June, July and August.

Also keep in mind there are other public use cabins available in the system too that are not USFS. Kenai National Wildlife Refuge has several you can reserve on recreation.gov too.

Also there are state DNR cabins
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/index.htm

In my experience it has been very rare to encounter hassles at public use cabins. Most folks are very good about leaving on time, replenishing wood, etc.

Thankfully theres nothing like that system here.

No Money involved, so no 'dibbs'. If moneys involved, a whole different set of rules enters....

If we have folks come into the shelter cabin, they are as welcome as we are, and vice versa. Besides, if they are in the same cabins I use, they are there for a good reason and with our weather, any reason is good.

Probly visit, match and talk all the night long anyway, most likely hunting the same grounds.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Everyone has pretty much covered it but I would add if you are looking to get into one of the more popular USFS cabins you have to book it really early...like many months in advance. For example, one of the busiest cabins in the Chugach National Forest is the Crescent Lake cabin. I checked the reservations and there is currently only one day left open in the prime months of June, July and August.

Also keep in mind there are other public use cabins available in the system too that are not USFS. Kenai National Wildlife Refuge has several you can reserve on recreation.gov too.

Also there are state DNR cabins
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/index.htm
    Yes, there are some cabins, during some seasons that you need to be ready to click on at midnight, 6 months before you want to use it or you might find yourself crap out of luck.

If you look at the rules for most of the USFS cabins, you are renting the cabins for the night. During the day they are "warming cabins" and are open to the public. I can't remember what the times were each day but I am sure somone on here could figure it out. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    If you look at the rules for most of the USFS cabins, you are renting the cabins for the night. During the day they are "warming cabins" and are open to the public. I can't remember what the times were each day but I am sure somone on here could figure it out. Just an FYI.
    I'd like to know where you got the above information. Below is what I found in a quick search of the DNR website.
    It is unlawful to use a public use cabin or its facilities without a permit. Each day of unauthorized use of a public use cabin is a separate offense, subject to a $50 fine.
    The earliest you may check-in to all cabins is 12:00 noon. Check-out time is 12:00 noon the following day or last day of reservation.
    Ice hut rental check-in is 12:01 am to 11:59 pm the day of the rental. No overnight camping.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I'd like to know where you got the above information. Below is what I found in a quick search of the DNR website.
    It is unlawful to use a public use cabin or its facilities without a permit. Each day of unauthorized use of a public use cabin is a separate offense, subject to a $50 fine.
    The earliest you may check-in to all cabins is 12:00 noon. Check-out time is 12:00 noon the following day or last day of reservation.
    Ice hut rental check-in is 12:01 am to 11:59 pm the day of the rental. No overnight camping.
    Does anybody actually know of anyone that has been cited for not adhering to "the rules"....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

DNR (state owned) does not equal USFS (fed owned) AKBighorn

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Yes, there are some cabins, during some seasons that you need to be ready to click on at midnight, 6 months before you want to use it or you might find yourself crap out of luck.
    And it's 7 months for the State Parks cabin. I mark may calendar to the exact day 1 can make the resvo and always score.

We have a coupe cabins that are about to be torn down because no one uses them that pays money. We also have one that gets rented a couple times a year for bear hunting but mostly by folks just passing by to spend the night. Even on the fed cabins when rented its for the cabin all the ground around it is open for tents same a state cabins.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Does anybody actually know of anyone that has been cited for not adhering to "the rules"....???
    Yes ... I remember several over the years, on Prince of Wales. Cited by the USFS. I remember a couple young trappers staying out at one of the Karta cabins during the winter, trapping out of and when the USFS found out they busted them pretty hard. Now days they keep an eye on those cabins on the Island and the ones over out of Ketchikan also.

We had our paperwork checked by rangers a couple of summers ago at the Devil's Pass cabin (USFS) on the Resurrection trail. We had all of our paperwork in order, so it was a pleasant experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast