Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a GPS please.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Default Help me pick a GPS please.

Ok, so I have finally decided that I need a GPS.

I would like to get opinions, suggestions, etc. on a moderately priced GPS.

I would like one that can be used in Alaska and the lower 48. One that could be used hiking, in a vehicle, river boat, and can be used to find corner posts on mine claims.

I am computer and gadget challenged so need something that is easy to use and that I can easily upload maps.

Thanks!

If you're running an Iphone or similar type device, the answer is in your hands.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If you're running an Iphone or similar type device, the answer is in your hands.
    If you have a good way to charge it available, that might work as long as you don't mind the somewhat rough accuracy. Other devices will typically have better accuracy, better battery life, and replacable batteries when you are out in the field for multiple days. The GPS function on an I-phone or other smart phone sucks the battery life pretty quickly. You also have to have a 3rd party app and download the maps ahead of time for where you will be if you are not within cell phone signal for the GPS on the phone to be of any use.

I really like my Garmin rhino. The higher end ones will be able to be used as a gps for the boat if you get the blue charts for it and it will also work as a vehicle gps giving turn by turn directions but you will have to buy the city maps for that too. There are several Garmin handheld devices that will do the same but I prefer the rhino because I can listen to the weather forecast. I know you can't use radios to hunt up here but the weather info comes in handy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If you have a good way to charge it available, that might work as long as you don't mind the somewhat rough accuracy. Other devices will typically have better accuracy, better battery life, and replacable batteries when you are out in the field for multiple days. The GPS function on an I-phone or other smart phone sucks the battery life pretty quickly. You also have to have a 3rd party app and download the maps ahead of time for where you will be if you are not within cell phone signal for the GPS on the phone to be of any use.

All very true, I run mine all season, and do have the ability to charge it in the evenings (until we drain the lithium motorcycle battery that is our charging station-which hasn't happened....yet).

I've just personally found that having the GPS, as well as iTunes, etc. makes it an All In One kinda device.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I really like my Garmin rhino. The higher end ones will be able to be used as a gps for the boat if you get the blue charts for it and it will also work as a vehicle gps giving turn by turn directions but you will have to buy the city maps for that too. There are several Garmin handheld devices that will do the same but I prefer the rhino because I can listen to the weather forecast. I know you can't use radios to hunt up here but the weather info comes in handy.

Those Rhino's are top shelf, especially when you have one for each person in a group. There's a lot of peace of mind in being able to see where everyone has scattered to at any given moment.

Those Rhino's are top shelf, especially when you have one for each person in a group. There's a lot of peace of mind in being able to see where everyone has scattered to at any given moment.
    So true and that include hunters from other hunting party that are also going after the same animal they know where you are. Also a LEO's can take your Rhino and use the information to give you a ticket for using a radio for hunting.

How can you prove you were not using the Rhino for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    So true and that include hunters from other hunting party that are also going after the same animal they know where you are. Also a LEO's can take your Rhino and use the information to give you a ticket for using a radio for hunting.

How can you prove you were not using the Rhino for hunting?
    Not trying to stir anything up or get around any regs by any means, but really, it is their responsibility to prove that you ARE using it for hunting rather than you proving you were NOT using it. If they are going to charge you, they need more than just the fact that you have them with you. Heck, if that was the case, they could nail anyone out there with a cell phone.

Last I checked, Law Enforcement can't "take" anything without probable cause.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

What's that?

Kidding, no iphone

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post

Which model Garmin do you have?

Boat use will be rivers. Do I need the blue charts?

He was referring to the Rhino by Garmin.

LINK

Any recommendations / anyone use one of these?

Garmin GPSMAP 62sc

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Garmin Oregon 450t

Thanks Hippie. There are several rino models, (including several with radios).

Last I checked, Law Enforcement can't "take" anything without probable cause.
    Check again. There is this pesky thing called Due Process but under an Executive Order that "consolidated" some authority under the DOJ last fall the BATF, in conjunction with local law enforcement can seize property (firearms, etc.) while they are investigating someone. No Due Process needed. I posted about this Civil Forfeiture in the old 2A thread. But, no one payed much attention to it. It's another govnt loophole they can use to justify whatever they think they need to.

Here's the legalize... http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fe...012/fr0912.htm

"SUMMARY:
    Consistent with Executive Order 13563, by this rule the Department of Justice (the Department) revises, consolidates, and updates its regulations regarding the seizure, forfeiture, and remission of assets"

and a perspective...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...eize-Your-Guns
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Garmin 76 CS, we have 3 of them. Blue chart is handy. They also make a topo CD that might suit you better if your not going on the ocean.
    Check out the Garmin store on Old Seward and he can help you with options.

Will robot be using it also??
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Check again. There is this pesky thing called Due Process but under an Executive Order that "consolidated" some authority under the DOJ last fall the BATF, in conjunction with local law enforcement can seize property (firearms, etc.) while they are investigating someone. No Due Process needed. I posted about this Civil Forfeiture in the old 2A thread. But, no one payed much attention to it. It's another govnt loophole they can use to justify whatever they think they need to.

Here's the legalize... http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fe...012/fr0912.htm

"SUMMARY:
    Consistent with Executive Order 13563, by this rule the Department of Justice (the Department) revises, consolidates, and updates its regulations regarding the seizure, forfeiture, and remission of assets"

and a perspective...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...eize-Your-Guns
    Thanks for the heads up Snyd. Always good to know when another "Patriot Act" type of legislation slides through......

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Right, I am really not a fan of phone-based anything if I'm out in the field, both because of reliability issues and power issues, and because for a lot of functions you need to be able to get mobile data at the time that you're running the app. There may be power packs that will take removable batteries but that's no substitute for a gizmo that draws less power and has removable batteries to start with. Also, I've got a dog team and phones die faster in the cold, plus in considerable cold there can be issues with the display (also, touch screens - geeze).

A cheap old eTrex way outperforms any GPS app I've tried on my phones.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Any recommendations / anyone use one of these?

Garmin GPSMAP 62sc

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Garmin Oregon 450t
    I have had the 60csx and it did all I mentioned earlier. I sold that o e for the 540hcx rhino the only real difference between the two was the rhino had a radio. I will keep using the rhino if fish and game has a problem with it they will have to prove it in court.
    Those laws they have are ridiculous my rifle will poach animals too but they can't give you a ticket just because it can.

Although with the rhino it is amazing that using radios is illegal but go out hunting and turn it on scan mode and see how many people you pick up talking about hunting. I use mine for boat to boat communication and like I said I really like the weather Channel feature.

Thanks for the heads up Snyd. Always good to know when another "Patriot Act" type of legislation slides through......
    Patriot Act... ugh..... dont' get me started. But this was not legislation. It was a very quiet Obama EO last October. Anyway.... I'll not hijack this thread anymore.

peace
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast