Thread: the caribou hills

Default the caribou hills

It was a nice couple of days in the Caribou Hills on Friday and Saturday. I hauled in some gear to make some improvements on the old cabin so some chores actually got done too. 25 years ago we used to have a lot more black bears in the spring come through here and trash the cabins. Mine got broke into a total of 8 springs and so I didn't put much into making it real nice because it wasn't paying out. But that doesn't happen any more so I'm fixing the old joint up a little better. I'm looking awfully low rent district compared to my neighbors. I remember one year I left a box of wine in the cabin. It was unopened but when the bear broke in and found the wine he bit the box and drank it. That year when I came in after breakup was the absolute worst I had ever seen. Its like that bear partied in that cabin for days and systematically destroyed everything inside. He even ripped the insulation out of the walls. What a mess.

On waterhole trail looking up into the high country. There is a stream at the bottom that some of us use to get drinking water. Its good water too. It looks a lot different now since the fire came through here. You can see forever.

Friday night at the cabin...sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Friday night at the cabin...sunset.

People in the lower 48 pay millions for a view like that.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thats insane...we paid about $250 an acre back in the day. I heard down at the lodge there was a lot of property up there for sale right now, but I haven't checked into it. People get tired of doing something and then they move on to something new. We're going to pass this one on to the grandchild thats on its way so as soon as the kid is big enough we will be taking it up to the hills. While views are nice, I've always liked property that had a value of some utility like waterfront, trees, tillable...you can't drink, heat, or eat with a view. I guess thats the practical side of me....But still its nice to watch the boats come up Cook Inlet. Good views abound in the Caribou Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Thats insane...we paid about $250 an acre back in the day.
    Well when you think about how much people pay for a small lot on the Kenai river, it's really not so hard to believe.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!