Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some good places to buy some gear in Anchorage.

Default Some good places to buy some gear in Anchorage.

I am going to be in Anchorage for a couple of days this week and want to buy a few odds and ends for fishing this summer. What are the better stores to go to in Anchorage?

Sportsmans, B&J, Freddys....what ya shoppin' for? To one man, "odds and ends" is a couple lures and a fillet knife, to another it's a new boat!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

The new boat is on it's way so I am shopping for stuff I can fit in my luggage on AK Air. But pretty much trolling gear and some bottom fishing gear.

sportsmans probably has the widest selection although you will find better "off the wall" stuff at B&J's IMO. There are just a few things sportsmans wont carry because they wont sell enough of them.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Sportsmans has better prices than B&J's.
    Customer service is also better at Sportsmans......I have been ignored 2 times lately at B and J's, nobody but me and the family in the store.
    BK

The staff at Sportsman's seems a little "hungrier" while I run into a lot of complacency at B&J's. Kinda striking to get cheerful help at Sportsman's and get ignored or deep sighs for being such a PITA when you can even find someone to ask for help at B&J's.

Looked at both before buying, then I went back to Sportsman's and bought all I could there. Only went back to B&J's to pick up the handful of things I couldn't get at Sportsman's.

Sad to see a local store out-done by a big box store, but unless management kicks some hiney over at B&J's, they're gonna lose out bigtime to Sportsman's.

Yep, Sportsmans has about everything you need. But I still like going to B&J. Just don't expect ANY help downstairs or with one of the kids. The rod and reel counter is about the only place where you get great service in that store.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Sportsmans has better prices than B&J's.
    Customer service is also better at Sportsmans......I have been ignored 2 times lately at B and J's, nobody but me and the family in the store.
    BK
    I am sorry to hear that about B&J. I have always had outstanding customer service at B&J. They showed me how to make my own Halibut set ups. as well as ling cod and salmon. They have everything you need and know what they are talking about because the actually go fishing, not just talk about fishing. The last time I was at that Big box store, I was buying an A2 Bouy for my anchor system, They could not even blow it up for me. I was also going to buy a Halibut reel but they would not put my line on the reel I had to buy the line from them also. needless to say, i ended up buying nothing from them. They must have hired this guy from the toy department at Walmart. This happened a few years ago, hopefully they have got better, but If you want people that know what they are talking about and have the right gear Go to B&J
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    I am sorry to hear that about B&J. I have always had outstanding customer service at B&J. They showed me how to make my own Halibut set ups. as well as ling cod and salmon. They have everything you need and know what they are talking about because the actually go fishing, not just talk about fishing. The last time I was at that Big box store, I was buying an A2 Bouy for my anchor system, They could not even blow it up for me. I was also going to buy a Halibut reel but they would not put my line on the reel I had to buy the line from them also. needless to say, i ended up buying nothing from them. They must have hired this guy from the toy department at Walmart. This happened a few years ago, hopefully they have got better, but If you want people that know what they are talking about and have the right gear Go to B&J
    Yup, that's the way it used to be. Sad to say, the times appear to be achanging. Complete flipflop in the last year from my experience.

A month ago I went in to buy a high end halibut rod/reel combo and the guy behind the counter at B&J's was too busy for 45 min's while we patiently waited, stood at the counter, etc... to even hang up his cell phone and ask if I needed help. He was too busy catching up on gossip on the other line.
    2nd time we wanted some rain gear for the wife and the front counter girl was too busy texting on her phone to help.
    We even walked around by the register making comments about how we would like to buy some equipment but she completely ignorged us.
    Both times the store was empty, my lil family of 3 were invisible to them.
    I enjoyed the store when it was downstairs and friendly, now I have sworn the place of my list of options.
    BK

Its totally sad to me about how down hill it has gone since the new store front has opened. I was a very loyal B&J customer, especially when Tom was managing the place. I still go in there and buy stuff but I don't expect to get much help or valid advise. Through several experiences I have learned who's advise to take and who's not to. They still have some good selection but I think its time to clean house and change a few things. My 2 cents....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I used to like wandering around downstairs checking out stuff, and I've certainly bought a bunch of stuff, but I like to be left alone when I'm looking around. I actually found it a bit irritating when they would follow me around and offer to help me with everything I looked at.

I'm not loyal to a store, I'm loyal to my wallet.

A month ago I went in to buy a high end halibut rod/reel combo and the guy behind the counter at B&J's was too busy for 45 min's while we patiently waited, stood at the counter, etc... to even hang up his cell phone and ask if I needed help. He was too busy catching up on gossip on the other line.
    2nd time we wanted some rain gear for the wife and the front counter girl was too busy texting on her phone to help.
    We even walked around by the register making comments about how we would like to buy some equipment but she completely ignorged us.
    Both times the store was empty, my lil family of 3 were invisible to them.
    I enjoyed the store when it was downstairs and friendly, now I have sworn the place of my list of options.
    BK

If you do see or in this case are a victim of this level of customer services, you should absolutely call or write the owner of said/any/all establishments and let them know, especially small locally owned businesses. As mentioned before, without the small shops like B&J's or Mt View, our selection for the high end gear via the box stores will be limited if available at all. (Terminal tackle, Avet/Accurate/FinNor/Seeker etc)

For what its worth... I personally would rather have to ask for help finding exactly what I need versus having 8 people who know less than my big toe about what I am looking for ask me if they can assist me in some way ( Best Buy). The irritates the crap out of me!!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Thanks guys. On my way to sportsman's now.

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    If you do see or in this case are a victim of this level of customer services, you should absolutely call or write the owner of said/any/all establishments and let them know, especially small locally owned businesses. As mentioned before, without the small shops like B&J's or Mt View, our selection for the high end gear via the box stores will be limited if available at all. (Terminal tackle, Avet/Accurate/FinNor/Seeker etc)

For what its worth... I personally would rather have to ask for help finding exactly what I need versus having 8 people who know less than my big toe about what I am looking for ask me if they can assist me in some way ( Best Buy). The irritates the crap out of me!!
    I go to the local store for knowledge and opinions. If they don't have customer service, then all I need is the internet to get my order filled.
    I DON'T like being ignored when I go to a shop, especially when I am looking at high dollar stuff.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    versus having 8 people who know less than my big toe about what I am looking for
    Agree 100%, and unfortunetly this describes some of the people there now. It drives me nut when someone acts like the are the most knowledgeable person about something when you know good and well what they are saying is wrong or you take the advise and it ends up burning you. Had a chat with one of the manufactures you mentioned last month and they have about had it with the advise being given out as its giving them as the manufacture customer sat issues. I was just glad to hear it wasn't just me. On another note it is specific names and not B&J in general. There are some people there that I think are great, and I love the new store which is why I still buy there. I am just cautious about who I listen to is all. I would rather buy from the local small guys like B&J, Barney's, Wiggys, Mtn View Sports, etc. when its reasonable.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I go to the local store for knowledge and opinions. If they don't have customer service, then all I need is the internet to get my order filled.
    I DON'T like being ignored when I go to a shop, especially when I am looking at high dollar stuff.
    BK
    Agree with both points.

Something I read on the back of the employees' shirts worn at a restaurant, actually just around the corner from B&J's. "Not trying to please 100% of the people, just a solid 75%". (or something close to this.) While it is true you will not please everyone, the 25% you don't will tell everyone and their buddy's and in this case the Internet that you failed.

Customer Service is what gains my repeat business. I would give the owner a call (regardless if it was B&J's or Dewey's, or Capt Andy's outfit in Seward) and let them know about your experience. If nothing changes, maybe give them a chance 3 or 4 years down the road if they still exist. Sour apples shouldn't kill the whole basket; and the farmer can't remove the bad ones if they aren't aware they are sour.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Soon Cabelas will be here, they have never let me down in customer service.
    I think this will "wake" up a couple of the local retailers.

BK

Soon Cabelas will be here, they have never let me down in customer service.
    I think this will "wake" up a couple of the local retailers.

BK
    Cabelas is awesome. Ive gotten a few products from them that werent right or whatever and they take it back no questions asked. Always seem to find knowledgeable people in there as well. Can't wait for them to be up here. If they put the store on the north end of town so I dont have to go downtown to skankorage that will be even sweeter.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Fishing desk at BJs is slow if there is someone in front of you but once you are at the front I don't know of better service anywhere. Have started making it my primary stop locally and always happy with the advice I get.... but maybe I don't know when I am getting bad advice as well as some of you with a lot more experience. :-) I will admit you have to search out help there, but I like that, I hate being hounded when I am browsing. Agree with others that if they are lacking its in the downstairs help. Even whem I am sent downstairs its ages before anyone comes to my aid. But upstairs is perfect for me. Variety and quality of their items is pretty awesome too.

I am not a fan of Sportsmans, not much there that I am looking for, terrible service imho, especially at the gun counter.

Can't wait for Cabelos. Awesome everywhere I have ever been to one. Sportsmans may fold when they come to town but if BJs keeps what they have but steps up the service a little bit, I bet they will be just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast