Thread: Tannery

Default Tannery

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to sent a hide to be tanned? I would like to keep it in the state if possible. Itís a huge moose and is quite heavy so the postage/freight is going to be high.

Thanks

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.com

I can only recommend one place from my own experiences and, that is Alpha Fur in Anchorage. Turn around time was like two months, but the quality of work was good.

Default Moyles

I know its out of state but there is a HUGE difference in quality from Alpha to moyles. Also in price. A buddy this year sent a reindeer hide to Alpha and one to Moyle. THe one from moyle was done first and was cheaper even with shipping than Alpha was. When it comes to the quality of work there was NO comparison. I have always used Moyles, and after seeing the reindeer out of Alpha I would never even consider them.

There is also a tannery in Fairbanks. If interested get back with me and I'll look up his name and number.

It's Fairbanks Fur Tannery owned by Al Barrette.

Talking tanneries

I would recommend either Alpha or Fairbanks Fur...I've used both and very happy with their quality and their turn around time. Moyles? I've used them and my turn around time averages 7-9 months and fur tanning is great, but other tanning can vary greatly in quality. Prices will be close, figuring in the shipping costs.

Default Address Please

So what is the final thought? Do you guys have a phone # and address? I am out in Kotz and the phone book works for Noatak but not Fairbanks!

Thanks for your help guys!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

I've had decent luck with Fairbanks Fur the first four years I used them but the last year and a half haven't been so good. A buddy got back a caribou hide that he paid to have fleshed and tanned and the ears didn't get split. The hair slipped on one of the ears. Two blacks and one brown took over a year and a half to get back. My opinion is he's getting too busy and can't keep up. I'm going to flesh my own from now on and mail them to another tannery.

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    So what is the final thought? Do you guys have a phone # and address? I am out in Kotz and the phone book works for Noatak but not Fairbanks!

Thanks for your help guys!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

I used Alpha fur last fall for my black bear. I dropped it off at kenny jones, skulls and bones near soldotna and he dropped it off at Alpha fur a little later. I got it back in mi before thanks giving and I didnt drop it off till the last week of september. As far as I know they did a great job on my black bear hide. without seeing any other tannery work, I will say I will use Alpha fur dressors again. Come to think of it, Kenny Jones has my black bear skull still... I guess I better give him a call.

http://www.alphafur.com/

there is the link to there page on the net.