Thread: Loking for some Frankford Arsenal drop out mold release.

Default Loking for some Frankford Arsenal drop out mold release.

I have been using drop out mold release by Frankford Arsenal in my jig making for awhile now.
    It works great and has helped a lot. It is a long lasting graphite spray in a 10oz aerosol can.
    The problem is I cannot find this stuff on the Peninsula. I found some spray at home depot that is similiar but not quite the same.
    This stuff is made for spraying bullet molds before casting.
    The last ones I bough were on EBAY but they do not have anymore listed.
    It is a spray can product so I am having trouble finding a vendor to ship this to Alaska.
    Has anyone seen this anywhere in AK? It would be in the gun section with all the other lubes and sprays I believe.
    If you have let me know as I would like to pick up a few more cans of it.
    The peninsula would be great but even if it is in Anchorage the valley or even fairbanks I could make it work.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop out.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	70006
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've used Aerokroil as a mold release and it worked very well on both aluminum and iron molds. You can find it at almost any parts supply store.

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    I've used Aerokroil as a mold release and it worked very well on both aluminum and iron molds. You can find it at almost any parts supply store.
    I have used Kano Aerokroil for many things in the oilfield and at home. I have no intention of using it as a mold release. Definetly not what I am looking for at all. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    I am specifically looking for some Drop Out as it is the product of choice of professional and amature lure makers and bullet casters who use aluminum and steel molds.
    I have tried a Home depot product that was similiar and it does work. The home depot product just does not go on as smoothly as it was not designed as a mold release but is essentially made from the same type graphite.It ends up with excess material in the mold because it sprays too fast.
    Drop out goes on nice and evenly and dries quickly it is also a longer lasting product lasting for many pours before it wears out.
    When I got the last stuff I pretty much used up the first can coating all my molds(I have a lot of molds)because after the first mold I was sold on the product.
    Now every new mold gets a coat of drop out and I reapply as needed. Which is why I need some more.

Are you having trouble getting the jigs to fall out of the mold? I have only cast a few different jigs and halibut weights but I haven't had any problem with them releasing from the molds. I also cast with a bunch of different bullet molds but wouldn't use that stuff on a bet for bullet molds. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't sold in Ak. I would go to "cast boolits" and ask the good folks there if they know how to get some sent to AK. and where to get it.

I actually found some yesterday from one of my regular supply vendors it wasn't listed under its name just under "mold release" with a picture. I will have to wait and see if they will ship it.
    I would use drop out in a bullet mold no problem. Thats what it is made for. It is really great stuff.
    I don't neccessarily use it as a mold release but more for the way it helps the lead flow into the mold. I get more complete pours especially on molds that are harder to pour longer stuff or stuff with small nooks and crannies. It does helf with the sticking also on some of my molds.

If you have a good mould you should not need any mold release agent, some of the lesser quality molds need it - have you tried to soot up the mould - that works pretty good, but probably doesn't last as long as the graphite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    If you have a good mould you should not need any mold release agent, some of the lesser quality molds need it - have you tried to soot up the mould - that works pretty good, but probably doesn't last as long as the graphite.
    I did find a vendor who is shipping me some right now. It is a bit spendy costing $30 in shipping to send me 4 cans. But at least I will have some.
    Like I said previously I mostly use it because it helps the lead flow better and fill small nooks and crannies in certain molds. For instance the small barb in my big mojo bullet head molds.
    Or molds that do not fill out easily like some of my longer jig molds. I did figure out that tilting certain molds a certain way does help them fill out.
    I have all manner of molds from cheap sandcast molds to custom cnc machined molds. With jig molds it isn't always as easy as buying a better mold. There are only a limited number of mold makers.
    So in some cases the only way to get a better quality mold would be to have a custom mold made. That means instead of a $30 mold you are now looking at $300 for the same thing. Or I can spray the $30 mold with drop out. Make sense now?
    Heck even my best quality cnc machined jig mold from a guy regarded as the worlds best mold maker requires a good whack with a piece of wood for all the jigs to drop out of the mold.
    I have heard from guys who make jigs for a living smoking a mold is similar to using drop out but that drop out is 10x better.
    I guess you can do it your way and I'll do it mine. I will continue to use drop out.

Hey Kasilofchrisn... a complete hijack of your thread but thanks for the memories... I seen this post the other day and Frankford arsenal is and old armory in Phila that is in the neighborhood I grew up in,, and after seein this I looked up a bunch of pics and stuff and it brought back some great memories... I am glad you found what you were lookin for and thanks again....

Adding a little tin to your melt and getting the melt and the mold hotter will help with fillout as well. Sooting a mold helps dropout and fill out but must be redone every 50 pours or so. Most folks that cast bullets don't use it as there are ways to fix a bullet mold that won't drop easily and don't fillout and the stuff reduces the cast size of a bullet which is a lot more important with bullets than fishing jigs and weights. Anyway glad to see you could find what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Adding a little tin to your melt and getting the melt and the mold hotter will help with fillout as well. Sooting a mold helps dropout and fill out but must be redone every 50 pours or so. Most folks that cast bullets don't use it as there are ways to fix a bullet mold that won't drop easily and don't fillout and the stuff reduces the cast size of a bullet which is a lot more important with bullets than fishing jigs and weights. Anyway glad to see you could find what you need.
    Yes I know it is easy to polish a bullet mold with toothpaste and a drill to alleviate many issues.
    unfortunately that method will not work for jig molds.
    Playing around with my alloy by adding tin is certainly more hassle than spraying them with dropout.
    Getting pure tin probably costs as much or more than the dropout anyway.
    I easily go through hundreds of pounds of lead making sinkers or jigs. Way too much hassle in adding percentages of tin. I use scrap so each batch is different based on what scrap I have.
    Like you said the key thing is I found some so I have what works best for me.
    I just wish a local vendor would carry it so I wouldn't have to spend so much in shipping charges.
    Next time I am in need I may ask a local store to get me some and see where that goes.