Thread: Comparing Rifle Scopes

Default Comparing Rifle Scopes

I am starting to research a new scope for my Ruger 30.06. Does anyone have an opinion on the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 or Cabelas Alaskan Guide Premium 4-12 x 40? At this point I just moose and caribou hunt. Thanks for any input you guys have.

Stick with Leupold, life time warranty

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I do like that they are made in the USA too.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

+1 on the Leupold...warranty is outstanding...but then again I have NEVER had to use it...but had a friend that had tube that got tun over with a vehicle and it was fubar.. Tube replaced and repaired for the shipping cost...

Leupold would be my choice of the two mentioned. Lately my rifles seem to wind up with Vortex for the budget rifles and Zeiss conquest tend to sit on all my favorites.

Leupy hands down.

Vx-2 for sure. Can't go wrong. Watch for deals at Freddys. I got my last one there for 179.99. That's 150 off normal price.

You will not go wrong with the VX-2. They are a great scope with an unbeatable warranty. Not that I intentionally abuse them but...... Let's just say they are very durable!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Can't beat that warranty! Until my disposable income outpaces my fishing addiction, leupy's will be the only scope topping my rifles (5 and counting)

You may also consider Burris.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Leupold vx2s are terrific scopes. I love my 3x9 on the 338 wm. if you are looking cheaper though, I'd say I'm pretty impressed with the new Redfield scopes. The Revolutions are made in the Same factory as Leopolds, by leupold. I have a 2x7 Revolution that seems nearly as nice as the vx2.

I looked at Leupold and Nikon. Went with the VX2 in silver! Looks awesome on stainless steel rifle. Best warranty, can't beat it. Customer service is second to none as well.

I to was on the look for a new scope a couple of years ago. I had it narrowed down to a few different ones and decided on the 3x9x50 vx2. Then after a couple of years went by I used a buddy's 4.5x12x44 zeiss. The difference was amazing. That extra little difference from 9 to 12 was huge. The vx2 was a good scope and I still have it on a rifle but for most of my hunting I use the 4.5x12. That is not to say that if some one told me the 3x9 leupold has shot more game than any other scope that I wouldn't believe him. It is a great scope I just think that extra little zoom really helps to sight in and gives you that little extra bit of confidence. That being said the last four animals that I have taken have been at 20 to 150 yards. But you never know when you are going to have to reach out there.

I'll throw in another vote for the Leupold, even though I've never owned one. I've had two of their Redfields though, and I love them. I imagine the ones they put their name on are even better.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Not to jack this thread, but I'm also considering a new scope and looking at the VX-R. Kind of like the idea of the FireDot on it considering my eyes aren't what they used to be. Any comments on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Leupold would be my choice of the two mentioned. Lately my rifles seem to wind up with Vortex for the budget rifles and Zeiss conquest tend to sit on all my favorites.
    I agree with Lujon that of the two Leupold all the way.. Personally speaking I am a swarovski nut and right now all my optics are swaro but My next rifle scope will likely be a Zeiss... I am amazed at the pricing for some of thier scopes and they are high quality as you can get...

My eyes aren't what they used to be either. The firedot might be nice. Any thoughts on that?

Some big money folks here for sure... All I can afford anymore is bushnell banners scopes you guys with Swaro and ziess are ballers for sure..

Between the Cabelas Guide Premium and the VX-2 I think I would go with the Cabelas. Leupold makes very quality scopes but I feel you're paying more for the name and warranty than for high quality glass and coatings. The thing is, lots of manufacturers are now offering lifetime warranties and many scopes in the VX-2 price range offer better optical quality.

I haven't bought a Leupold in a few years so maybe they've stepped up their game to compete with Zeiss, Vortex, and the list of others who have came on strong and taken a big bite out of Leupold's market.