Thread: Research project on a plane crash

Default Research project on a plane crash

Hi folks,

If any of you remember a crash over in the Wrangells a few years ago... the case was a tarp that blew loose and was wrapped around the tail feathers during takeoff, if I remember correctly. If you have info on that, could you PM me with the details? I'm working on a project (nothing sinister).

Thanks!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Did it burn........???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Did it burn........???
    I can't remember, but I think it was a commercial bush flight, single engine (Super Cub?). I think there was a fatality, but I'm not sure. Taking off of a mountainside, if I remember right.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I can't remember, but I think it was a commercial bush flight, single engine (Super Cub?). I think there was a fatality, but I'm not sure. Taking off of a mountainside, if I remember right.
    The one I am thinking of involved a Super Cub (R.M. was the pilot) the passenger was his brother'inlaw who was killed in the fire. How long ago....???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The one I am thinking of involved a Super Cub (R.M. was the pilot) the passenger was his brother'inlaw who was killed in the fire. How long ago....???
    That sounds like the one. If it involved a tarp wrapped around the tail of the aircraft, it's got to be the one. I can't remember the year. Can you PM the info?

Thanks for the link, Pid. I know about the database, but my details are too sketchy to turn up anything that way...

-Mike

If I remember correctly
    Yentna Skwentna area,20? Years ago.

Default Wrangell crash

R.M's crash did not involve a tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    That sounds like the one. If it involved a tarp wrapped around the tail of the aircraft, it's got to be the one. I can't remember the year. Can you PM the info?

Thanks for the link, Pid. I know about the database, but my details are too sketchy to turn up anything that way...

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by airguide View Post
    R.M's crash did not involve a tarp.
    Yes......This is correct, it did not involve a tarp.

I think I found it. Or one that is surprisingly similar. It appears I was mistaken on the location. Completely. Here's what I came up with:

NTSB Identification: ANC86FA081.
    The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 31788.
    Accident occurred Monday, June 16, 1986 in LAKECREEK RIVER, AK
    Aircraft: PIPER PA-18-150, registration: N83377
    Injuries: 1 Fatal.

ACCORDING TO A WITNESS ON THE GROUND, THE PILOT-IN-COMMAND LANDED FROM WEST TO EAST AND AFTER UNLOADING THE SUPPLIES DECIDED TO TAKEOFF IN THE SAME DIRECTION. THE PILOT TAXIED DOWN TO THE END OF THE RUNWAY AND UPON TURNING AROUND THE WITNESS STATED THE TAIL OF THE AIRPLANE CAME OFF THE GROUND DURING THE TURN. THE WITNESS FURTHER STATED THAT THE END OF THE RUNWAY WAS MARKED WITH A TARP THAT WAS HELD DOWN WITH ROCKS PLACED UPON ITS CORNERS. AS THE AIRPLANE STARTED ITS TAKEOFF ROLL, THE WITNESS NOTICED THE TARP WRAPPED AROUND THE RIGHT SECTION OF THE TAIL OF THE AIRPLANE. THE WITNESS RAN OUT TO THE RUNWAY WAVING HIS ARMS BUT THE PILOT DID NOT SEE HIM. THE AIRPLANE LIFTED OFF AT THE END OF THE RUNWAY AND DID NOT GAIN ANY ALTITUDE. THE RIGHT WING STRUCK A TREE AND IT CARTWHEELED INTO THE GROUND. THE AIRPLANE WAS ON FIRE BEFORE THE WITNESS REACHED THE ACCIDENT SITE.
    The account is not clear whether or not a passenger was involved. Does anyone have additional details? Also, was it a commercial flight?

Thanks, all!

-Mike

Mike,
    The report I read indicated only a single occupant. Obituary of the registered owner ran in the Anchorage paper on 20 June 1986. You could track down next of kin to inquire details, I imagine.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist