Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good sign

Default Good sign

I was at a LGS today and they have about 150 20rnd boxes of .223 on the shelf. Its Independence for 11.99 for 20rnds of 55grn FMJ. I hope things start coming around.

I think it's hit-and-miss. I was at Sportsmen's in Fairbanks today and I've never seen the shelves so picked-over. They said that they got a shipment in on Thursday and put it out a little at a time to "give everybody a chance."
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

It starts with empty shelfs. then a few here and there and very expensive. then more on the shelf but still expensive. Then lots on the shelf but expensive. Then the shelf is well stocked and the price starts to drop. Lets just hope we see more and more on the shelf. I was at Cabelas and they had Herters .223 for 6.99 a box on the shelf

If people would stop buying the ammo people are flipping it would probably come back pretty quick. With the .22LR craze you would think people are firing off 100 rounds every morning before breakfast! Just hold off on buying it for 60 bucks per 550 for a month or two. I bet those prices from these scumbags who try to quadruple their money on it would drop pretty quick when they start sitting on a bunch of ammo they can't turn around. I'm seeing pics of guys selling this stuff in the front seat of their car right in front of the store they just bought it from 10 min ago, usually at double or quadruple the price they just paid for it. Stop buying it from the guy in the parking lot and they won't have a reason to go clear out the shelves every time a shipment comes in. Hoarders don't seem to be the problem these days, it's these cockroaches who are screwing everybody over to line their pockets.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    If people would stop buying the ammo people are flipping it would probably come back pretty quick. With the .22LR craze you would think people are firing off 100 rounds every morning before breakfast! [...]
    Waste not, want not. Last time I bought 22LR I paid $3.50 per hundred rounds, and what remains of that purchase will likely last me the rest of my life 'cause I generally only shoot them when something needs killed. If I just want to make noise I'll go to firecrackers; that's what they're made for.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    ,..... I'm seeing pics of guys selling this stuff in the front seat of their car right in front of the store they just bought it from 10 min ago, usually at double or quadruple the price they just paid for it. Stop buying it from the guy in the parking lot and they won't have a reason to go clear out the shelves every time a shipment comes in. Hoarders don't seem to be the problem these days, it's these cockroaches who are screwing everybody over to line their pockets.
    Man, seriously,...is that happening,...in Anchorage, or the Valley ??

That's depressing to imagine,...

I think you're right,... if we could only get smart, all together at the same time,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Man, seriously,...is that happening,...in Anchorage, or the Valley ??

That's depressing to imagine,...

I think you're right,... if we could only get smart, all together at the same time,...

Sadly yes, and in both areas.

I just get really ticked off when I see these people ripping everybody off. I guess the lesson my dad taught me about not taking advantage of other people isn't taught anymore.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

About a year ago SW had a pallet of Peters 22lr on special for 14.95 a brick and I bought a few. Today at the gun show I saw a table with a few bricks of the same for $95 per brick. Now, I like the Peters ammo but I don't like it at $.19 per shot. I can shoot small centerfires with cast for about $.05 per round. I expect to see 22lr back on the shelves in 6 months to a year for $20/$23 per brick with specials now and then for less. I have been to the range a few times in the last couple of months and it doesn't look like folks are buying to shoot right now. Looks more like lots of new gun owners and lots of others that don't want to depend on the stores having what is wanted when it's wanted. Ammo companies are cranking rounds as fast as they can and sooner or later folks will have what they feel comfortable with on their own shelves. So it will get caught up until the gun grabbers try another approach to remove guns or ammo from law abiding citizens. They just need another disaster to exploit.
    Anyway, wait this sillyness out and then stock up on everything you are short on now. I can see this happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If I just want to make noise I'll go to firecrackers; that's what they're made for.
    Yeah.....but firecrackers won't dance cans for a little boy........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah.....but firecrackers won't dance cans for a little boy........
    True enough, but BB/pellet guns will... There's much value in learning at an early age the difference between necessary practice, and frivolous entertainment; between knowing when to use a tool, and when to conserve resources. The value of conservation and wise use of resources is a lesson not lost on a young mind.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

True enough, but BB/pellet guns will... There's much value in learning at an early age the difference between necessary practice, and frivolous entertainment; between knowing when to use a tool, and when to conserve resources. The value of conservation and wise use of resources is a lesson not lost on a young mind.
    I tell ya what........I'll use my old 22 cal pellet gun before I ever pay the kind of money they're asking for 22lr. Besides, all I have are a couple bricks that I may have to make last for the rest of my life...!!!.......lol

I just talked to a friend who spent most of Sat. (04/20/2013) at the Gunshow in Portland, OR. said bricks of .22 LR $85.00

One good out come of this maybe young'ens being taught to shoot 1/2" groups on paper and not making cans move.

I was dialing in several CZ-452's this week, and was surprised (and Happy) to see that even at my age the open sights on CZ-452's grouped just 50% larger than w/ nine power quality scope.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    One good out come of this maybe young'ens being taught to shoot 1/2" groups on paper and not making cans move.
    Oh, so now it's a bad thing for kids to shoot cans? Give me a break! Putting holes in paper will never be a substitute for killing a can...........as far as a kid is concerned......

This is a good point,...
    as far as my boys go, I don't see the reason to freak out about Bricks,...because we make them last forever
    for a reason

I figure they'll be hunting with a bolt action, so I purposely got rid of any Semi auto .22 pistols with those ten rd mags
    that go blasting down range so quick,...
    make sure they are loading their own mags, so it's not all just trigger pulling,...
    and each shot, should be looked at a little, learned from,
    as well as learning things like maintaining sight picture through a scope, while you work the bolt for your next round

make sure their's no real Frivolity involved with shooting,...no Noise Making, for the thrill of it
    and teaching them about both,...
    "group making," on paper
    and, what seems to be much more rewarding to them,..."movement making," on something really small,
    (spent shotgun cartridges, stood up, or just picked out quickly at various ranges, etc., work out well, they love to see 'em jump)

and by the time they've gone through even 100, we make it a long enough time process, that they're well rewarded and advanced
    on far less than a Brick

I've got 'em Really Treasuring a new Brick of .22LR on Christmas Morning or similar,...it's not an endless supply
    and they get it,...
    and we have a Blast with all that "Conservation, and Wise Use of Resources"

when it comes to what they'll be doing with high power rifles later,...it only makes sense, to us anyway
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh, so now it's a bad thing for kids to shoot cans? Give me a break! Putting holes in paper will never be a substitute for killing a can...........as far as a kid is concerned......
    YES........It will teach them close is good enough. They learn that if you hit 9" low the can will jump. I also feel that "NO-ONE" child or adult should ever fire a scoped firearm........till they have Truly mastered Open or Receiver sights. Firearms are NOT toys to have fun with......(Sadly to many YOUNG adults still think "Self-loading" firearms are toys.......I see adults down the road at the gravel pit fireing 30 rounds from their AR-15 and then turn to their buddy and laugh and giggle like little girls), they are precession tools to be used skillfully.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I also feel that "NO-ONE" child or adult should ever fire a scoped firearm........till they have Truly mastered Open or Receiver sights. .
    Tell me more here AGL,
    I learned that way myself, and did figure that was a really good foundation
    but when it came to my boys getting started,
    I didn't have any Open Sight .22, and All my hunting rifles were scoped, which I figure theirs will be as well

So, on the first .22 rifle, I put a fixed 4x Nikon on top, with 40mm sight grab ability, to go ahead and teach them finding their goal
    in a scope (it's a Browning T-bolt, and doesn't have open sights as an option)

We do have a Single Six, that teaches them open sights some, but they have not mastered that yet,
    tho good with it, it doesn't really replicate an open sight rifle much, anyway, right ?

but does that make sense, or do you still think the open sight training is that critical to a beginner ?

had a guy call me about his 907 big boys article for bricks of 22 lr. he didn't post the price, so when I asked what his price was......he said 75 dollars.

I couldn't help it.....just kinda came out:

I said: Go F yourself! and hung the phone up. I'm sure he hears that alot........and I hope he continues to hear it. Not sure it it's the same little scumbag........but here on THIS forum, but I saw an add in our ammo dump forum for that golden "75 dollars". think he needs to be told it too.

Mainer, I understand completely, but it's his right to be an a hole if he wants. At the gun show Sat there was a petty lady selling bricks of 22 from $75 to $95. It was all I could do to not say something nasty. The wife being with me helped. Peters 22 that sold at SW less than a year ago for 14.95 a brick for $95.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

We do have a Single Six, that teaches them open sights some, but they have not mastered that yet,
    tho good with it, it doesn't really replicate an open sight rifle much, anyway, right ?

but does that make sense, or do you still think the open sight training is that critical to a beginner ?

IF I was recruited to teach someones children.........I would only teach them to shoot Open or Receiver sights. Scopes allow shooters to be very very very sloppy shooters and lazy unskilled hunters. Most so-called "Hunters" today are little more than animal executers or snipers shooting animals.

The real hunting skills have been lost to range finders (take the time to learn range estimating.....it a "Part" of the hunting skill set). Stalking skills have been negated by the use of excessively powerful scopes (NO-One needs more than basic skills with Open or Receiver sights to harvest a moose without a scope out to 150 yards).

I am ashamed when someone calls me a hunter.........I do NOT ever want to be grouped with other so called hunters. Call me an Outdoorsman or a Woodsman and I will smile with pride. Call me a hunter, or even a retired Professional Hunter.......and I will quickly advise that I am neither.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Mainer, I understand completely, but it's his right to be an a hole if he wants. At the gun show Sat there was a petty lady selling bricks of 22 from $75 to $95. It was all I could do to not say something nasty. The wife being with me helped. Peters 22 that sold at SW less than a year ago for 14.95 a brick for $95.
    We have a system of capitalism where supply vs demand and what the consumer is willing to pay determine cost. You can't really blame the scalpers; they epitomize what capitalism is all about. Currently we have a situation where demand has outstripped supply and sellers are charging what the market will bear. Eventually the irrational hoarding will subside, demand will slack, and supply will catch up. Eventually the market will no longer bear such inflated prices and in many cases those who paid extreme prices to the scalpers will likely regret having done so. And lots of foolish folks responsible for the shortages will be sitting on hoards of ammo which they will never use. So it goes.
    #Resist

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast