Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Seat?/ Take Me Dipping!

Default Open Seat?/ Take Me Dipping!

Since the hunting/ fishing forums have this available, I figured why not post here also. With the King Season in the toilet, there might be more action at the Copper for table fare....

Me too... Me too... Have gas money.... Free wed/thurs/fri...

I always have gas money as well!!

Now all we need are folks with boats that want to take our gas money

There's also a boat rental place that has a couple of Copper River worthy boats. If 4 or 5 guys go in it wouldn't cost too much per person.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    There's also a boat rental place that has a couple of Copper River worthy boats. If 4 or 5 guys go in it wouldn't cost too much per person.
    This isn't my business, yet i would think real careful before just jumping into the copper River with a boat. I dipped it for years and it's a real swift, surging, eddy filled river. May i suggest ya use the charter service for one year to get a real look at the river before taking a boat out on your own..

Quote Originally Posted by lak View Post
    This isn't my business, yet i would think real careful before just jumping into the copper River with a boat. I dipped it for years and it's a real swift, surging, eddy filled river. May i suggest ya use the charter service for one year to get a real look at the river before taking a boat out on your own..
    For sure. It's definitely doable, but not recommended for novice boaters.

Why not Rent a boat and go down the kp?

KP = 25 Reds + 0 Kings
    Copper (above Bridge) = 195 Reds + 5 Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    KP = 25 Reds + 0 Kings
    Glennallen Subdistrict
    BAG & POSSESSION LIMITS

The total annual limits for this fishery are 30 salmon for a household of one and 60 salmon for a household of two or more, of which no more than 5 may be Chinook salmon if taken by dip net. For a household of more than two, 10 salmon for each additional person may be added to the annual limit. The number of Chinook salmon (5) taken by dip net does not increase.

Upon request, permits for additional salmon
    will be issued with the following limits:
    1) no more than a total of 200 salmon for a permit issued to a household with one person, of which no more than five may be Chinook salmon if taken by dip net;
    2) No more than a total of 500 salmon for a permit issued to a household of two or more persons, of which no more than five may be Chinook salmon if taken by dip net.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...nSub08Regs.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    KP = 25 Reds + 0 Kings
    25 reds- what a single man needs/can eat in a year.

195 reds+5 kings- a freezer full of wasted fish come next springtime.

Seriously I cannot possibly utilize that much fish. Do you really NEED that much?
    Not trying to hijacked just being realistic and trying to make sense of what you would legally do with that much fish.
    Or is it "because you can"?

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Our family of three can, and has, used our Copper PU and Kenai PU limits in a winter, which is roughly 100 fish. Plus some I catch on rod and reel. We do share quite a bit with local family and elders (wife is Native). That said, I would never keep more than 100 fish, even if my limit is 500 for our family. That's just too much for us to use or deal with, frankly. We also tend to utilize way more of the fish than your average joe, who fillets and tosses the rest.

Having said all of that, I would rather take one trip with a high limit than having to making multiple trips to multiple rivers in order to harvest what we need, so I like the idea of using the subsistence permit on the Copper. It also allows retention of more kings, which is my personal favorite. There have been some trips on the Copper where every third or fourth fish I caught was a king and where I haven't been able to keep any. It's very difficult to release a fifty pound king from a net on the cliffs without destroying your net. If they do the death roll and wrap their jaws tight you're in a real pickle.

Just because you have a high limit doesn't mean you will use it all. I wonder what the actual retention rate is for the subsistence permits. I'm sure F&G knows, but I'd bet the average isn't anywhere near the allowable limit.

I'm looking at the copper this year over the Kenai but not so I can take home 150 fish. Simply because they taste better. We eat what I kill be it fish or game and hardly ever have left overs. In fact my freezer is empty now. Lol Time for chicken until the fishing comes in.

Default Room for 1: Copper 6/10-13

PM me. Split boat rental and gas 3 ways.

Leave ANC Monday evening 6-ish. Return Thursday by 11am. If we stay longer, it would be back by Friday 11am.
    Last edited by gr8fl; 06-08-2013 at 12:14. Reason: corrected date and details

Spot now taken...

leavin in an hour from Palmer if anybody wants to split gas

With only 3 fish on the first trip, I'm going to need more. Looking for an open spot on a boat in the first two weeks of July upstream of bridge....

I'm going up with a few boats and we have an open spot if anyone wants to go. We fish down through canyon. Leaving Friday 21st plan is to limit friday night Saturday morning as usual should be good fishing that weekend according to numbers

Daniel,

You can't get pm's yet. But I would be interested in that open seat. Let me know. armington.matt@gmail.com or 715-413-0263

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Daniel,

You can't get pm's yet. But I would be interested in that open seat. Let me know. armington.matt@gmail.com or 715-413-0263

Hey, I tried calling you the other day, let me know if you still want to go spot is yours if you want it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast