Thread: Increasing weight capacity?

Default Increasing weight capacity?

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about different styles of boats, and their uses. Everything I've read tells me that canoes are the most efficient design in terms of fuel economy when using a small outboard. The only drawback I see with a canoe is they have a relatively low weight capacity. As an example, my 17' Coleman square stern has a max capacity of 770 lbs. I couldn't take a buddy out after moose and stay within that capacity if we were successful in harvesting one.

I recall reading references to where folks have added buoyancy to boats via various means though - have any of you here tried anything like that? I'd be interested to hear how it worked if you have stories.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

AKsoldier

you can't judge canoes by your coleman....that's rediculous, to justify a grossly false misconception that canoes can't haul large loads.

I've paddle 1000 lb loads in a penobscot royalex, this was supplies, tools and people to stake my remote property.

Likewise, I've hauled in excess of 1800 lbs up/down the yukon river with a measely 12 hp.

This past season, my largest load was a very large bull moose, nothing boned out, a 100 lb boy, 100 lb malamute, 12 gallons of gas, two rifles, 40 lbs of tools, and myself.

Take a wild guess what a load like that would weigh?

Bouyancy won't make your coleman a different canoe.......get a different canoe.

At 700 lbs, some canoes are just warming up, while others have no freeboard left.

Mainer, I can appreciate your experience with canoes - I've read quite a few threads with your input in the area. However, I don't have the money for a different canoe. I have a 17' Coleman scanoe and I'm looking for ways to potentially increase it's weight capacity in order to make it safe for hauling loads that exceed it's advertised limit. I know people have done this before. That's the info I'm looking for.

Buy a different canoe? Not going to happen. Build something myself using affordable materials to increase the weight capacity of the canoe I already have? Yup - that's what I'm looking for. If it can't be done - so be it. I'll be happy to use my canoe the way it was intended to be used. Still though, it can't hurt to ask.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

770 lbs is close to where my double-ender 17' michicraft aluminum canoe was. But Mainer is right about getting a different canoe. (Although, I'm in the same boat with you on budget concerns.) In the end, I wouldn't go moose hunting in a Coleman Scanoe. Hell I won't even go fishing in one.

That said, try these guys out: http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/boat-foam.htm

They sell an expanding, pourable foam that is Coast Guard Approved structural marine floatation. Good stuff. Problem is, you need something on the scanoe to pour the foam into. you could try boxing in the area under the seats or something and then filling that area with the foam. (Or some variation on that.)

Why wouldn't you go hunting or fishing in one? I thought that the Ram-X material is suppose to be "indestructible"?

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Why wouldn't you go hunting or fishing in one? I thought that the Ram-X material is suppose to be "indestructible"?
    It kind of is, and they are "tough" boats. I don't like the Colemans because a)the ram-x material is really flexible, so much so that the seats have to have their own support structure-the thing won't hold it's shape without all of that aluminum tubing. b.)they're god-awful heavy (see my other thread on my wrangling with the decision to try a kevlar square stern) c) I find them lacking in secondary stability, and d) they're god awful heavy-my 17' michicraft alminum (a FAAAAR superior canoe) weighed the same as a Scanoe.

Don't get me wrong, they have their purpose. (Livery, Scout camp etc.-in fact, Camp Carlquist has DOZENS of them for the Cub Scouts to just bash all to h#77) and my girlfriend's dad bought one for a $100 at a yard sale to leave at the cabin lake for the kids to play in, but they're not what I could consider a serious canoe. Maybe I'm being elitist, but I wouldn't go "Into the wild" with one.

I was just wondering was all.

Hmm OK to answer you question about increasing capacity. Maybe you could fab something like this up out of some 2X4 and some foam or something? Just an idea.

You can't add what it will hold by adding stuff inside,it has to be outside making it wider or longer. You could check with your local fire department and see if they have some old four or six inch hose you can have. You can then split the hose and screw it along the gunnel of the canoe. Make holes along the the hose so it can be laced closed. Get your lacing started squirt in foam and lace the length as its expanding. Not perfect but once you get to four inches of freeboard you have added eight inches of width and probably added three hundred pounds hauling weight.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Or you still can do this..... lol :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocRSOqaR3eI

Thanks for the info and pics folks. AllAK - I'm still considering that, but it would be a temporary arrangement for bigger lakes, etc. I'm thinking of something more compact for smaller streams to use for float hunting - Amigo Will's idea would be perfect. I bet something similar could be done with some PVC....

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Or you still can do this..... lol :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocRSOqaR3eI
    That's exactly what the old canucks used to do all the time....Calvin Rutstrum wrote about this technique quite a bit. The cool thing is it can be taken down for portages and whatnot.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

There are many ways to skin a cat without a high dollar knife.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Amigo Will again."

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Amigo Will again."

Well said.
    Agreed - got him for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    So thats what you made your outrigger out of.....how interesting.... lol jk jk