Thread: Garman 795 & synthetic vision

Default Garman 795 & synthetic vision

I bought one of these with the help of the PFD last fall and have used some over the winter. I thought I would like the synthetic vision feature. On the big scale it works well, moutian passes and general orientation. Two days ago flew to Seldovia from Birchwood and on the way back followed the bluffs back up the inlet from Homer. In this situation I did not get a clear idea where the bluff was and where the ocean was and a lot of red and yellow warning, not too useful and a bit of a dissapointment.

I'm getting ready to pick one up myself. I don't think you are suppose to zoom in so close. I think it was doing it's job of warning you that you were below terrain with the red and yellow, but then again I plan to test it in those type of senarios. Not sure it can tell you how far off of the water you are. Need to read up on that one. Also thought about getting an IPad mini with foreflight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I've been using an iPad with Foreflight for 2 years now - great tool! I'll switch to the mini this year as it fits the cockpit easier. Don't forget an external GPS - even though the 3G iPad has GPS I've found that the external GPS (I use a Bad Elf - there are more options now) significantly improves the GPS performance.

As for Foreflight - one word - "Cosmic". You'll wonder what you ever did without it - if you do a lot of airport to airport work. The only paper I carry in the cockpit is the Alaska Supplement, as there is info in there not in Foreflight.

"only paper I carry in the cockpit is the Alaska Supplement, as there is info in there not in Foreflight"

I used an iPad plus foreflight on my trip to Alaska this past summer. Will never fly again without it. I was able to download the Alaska supplement onto the iPad in the documents section of foreflight. I also had a paper copy, but eventually just used the one on Foreflight. The airport/facility directory info is displayed on the airports tab, and all the rest of the info in the supplement is viewed from the documents button.

I bought a garman 795 and really like it. Good info on airports, telephone numbers, places to eat, cab services you name it. Really like the moving map point and click your waypoint and a line marks the way. Simple. Can see flight instruments at the same time, way faster than the airplane instruments. Also has charts lots and lots of charts. No more paper charts, great device. First garman owned was a 90 I think. Screen was about as big as a postage stamp. Used it so much the numbers turned into faded lines across the screen. Garman has come a long way.

Picked up a Garmin 795 at the airmans show this weekend. 200 bucks off with the rebate. Can't wait to play with it.

Foreflights next.

Happy birthday to me!!

Anyone loaded better topo or google earth on to their 795??

Same topo card that the other Aera units use, right? I had Northern Lights Avionics load the Alaska maps in my 500 before I left the store.

Does the garmin have a moving sectional like the ifly? Are the actual sectionals loaded in the garmins? I have been thinking about the ifly because I dident think that the garmin had full blown sectionals loaded in.

Looks like full blown sectionals r loaded into the 795. I think for a fee u can have them updated and is approved to replace paper sectionals.

Ran my 795 for a while without the topo card. Then purchased the Alaska topo card for $100 bucks. Really zooms in Alaska.

Thanks! I will check Northen Lights Avionics regarding the topo card.

I thought I saw a program that would also load google earth but I could be mistaking.

Can't wait to get the plane in the water to try these out.

Picked up the Alaska Topo. Now I can see the lakes I plan to fly into. Makes a big difference!

Is the garmin 795 better than the ifly? As I understand the ifly already has everything preloaded and you dont have to keep buying cards (perhaps updates, but I understand the inital purchase comes with a year or 2 of updates). I understand the ifly has a better screen as well.

Does anyone have any expereince with these 2 units, what are the advantages of the garmin over the ifly?

The ifly also has street mode to use in your car as well (there may be a card purchase for that feature but its avalible).