Thread: Ist Bear hunt

Default Ist Bear hunt

So I am a life long Alaskan killed alot of moose and Caribou but never officially went after bears. Growing up in Fairbanks I know the areas I would hun there but I have been in Anchorage for 2 years now. I would like to head out next weekend and start on my goal to finding a nice Black bear for the wall!!!

Problem I dont have an idea on where to go. I have read on here about Hope Area and that is where I was thinking of heading off towards but I have never been there. Does anyone have a little advice as to what direction or Area to start? Ill obviously start with South Facing slope anad let the Binos and spotter do a lot of the work.

Kevin

road is only so long. go about 6 miles look for old logging roads and start climbing. cant see much from the road. good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

ok cool i have never been down there that was kind of the info i needed.......unless someone wanted to steer me some other way!

Trout if you want to get out and about I will be heading out tomorrow I will be doing some glassing (as well as today) was going to set my baits up this weekend but a downed wheeler put a kink in that plan. shoot me a PM if your interested

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

You will for sure NEED good snowshoes & sun glasses. I would bring a small "OTTER" type sled & Predator call if you own one. Logging equipment and men working logging mile 9.2 Hope Road. Snow is 28" to 33" deep at road elevation for the first 10 miles.

It is a tough climb up to bears. Be careful of snow slides. Most bears are NOT moving. Look for cubs they are very ....Very small (about size of football)

Brown Bears out number Black Bears along Hope Road. Good Hunting & stay SAFE, Snow can and will KILL you.

Six Mile "Creek" is a Class 3 to Class 6 white water Hell........Do NOT shoot bears on otherside of creek unless you have skill and tools to cross.

VERY private driveways & homes Mile 7.2 till Mile 8.8 Hope Road.

It is "Illegal" to operate an ATV or a Car or a TRUCK or SNOWMACHINE off of the Paved Hope Road. Forest Service Cops and State Troopers are giving tickets.

Remember your Harvest Tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    ....unless someone wanted to steer me some other way!
    In my own experience, Hope Road is one of the least productive areas for spot-and-stalk hunting in the Kenai Mountains. The visibility is mostly limited and the climb through the forest can be miserable. It's not that there aren't bears there - there most certainly are - but you'd be better off hunting from the Hope Road junction down towards Tern Lake and surrounding locales. Better spotting, more accessible climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    In my own experience, Hope Road is one of the least productive areas for spot-and-stalk hunting in the Kenai Mountains. The visibility is mostly limited and the climb through the forest can be miserable. It's not that there aren't bears there - there most certainly are - but you'd be better off hunting from the Hope Road junction down towards Tern Lake and surrounding locales. Better spotting, more accessible climbing.

This is very accurate information. I would add that the Black Bear population in the Hope Road area has been greatly reduced in the last 3 years.

You'll pass some fantastic black bear habitat on your way to hope, no point in driving by it without looking. Getting to the bears is generally the problem, not finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    Ill obviously start with South Facing slope anad let the Binos and spotter do a lot of the work.
    That's it right there.....Pretty much anywhere you can view large expanses above treeline from one vantage point. If you don't find anything from that spot, drive a few miles down the road, stop, and do it again. Sooner or later it should pay off.....getting to them is another story......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks Guys Ill just throw some food & water in the rig next weekend binos & Spotting scope snow shoes sled knives ect extra clothes and explore!!!

And the pup she would be pissed to get left out.

pm sent.....

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Trout if you want to get out and about I will be heading out tomorrow I will be doing some glassing (as well as today) was going to set my baits up this weekend but a downed wheeler put a kink in that plan. shoot me a PM if your interested
    What'd ya see, What'd ya see?!?
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I went up last night, 3-4 feet of snow from about 1000 feet on up. No tracks, scat or bears seen. Looks like at least another week of sun is needed up there. I did see about 4 blades of green grass about 2 inches tall...

if you have a raft you can glass on the other side of the river at the multiple pull offs on the road to Hope. I have spotted tons of bears on the other side of the river that where in shooting range if you had a raft to get to the other side. The water can move pretty quickly though. Good luck

No Bears today saw several sheep mostly ewes one 3-4 year old ram...

Well no bears still went into Eklutna State Park and looked around trying to learn the area any one have advice on that area and wants to share pm me.