Thread: Trying to move back

Default Trying to move back

Having a struggle this go around. I remember taking the ferry from Bellingham, to haines in 2004, and driving to Sterling. Then drove all the way down to to Lynden, WA in 2010. Been in WA 3 years and 2 years ago I drove across to fish the fraiser valley. No criminal history changes all that time. Then one day I was driving over to meet someone for lunch. Because I didn't know the person's last name, (a gal I met online) the gal in the booth sends me inside. They run the make on me and then pull up my history going back to freakin college man. Never a felony, never a dui, drugs, no sex offender. I do have a WA CCL pistol lic. but that doesn't help. Guess I should have sent them the money when I had it a year ago and sent off my request for admission. I can' t drive through Canada, so my only other options are to ferry all the way to whittier at 2300 which I don't have, barge household goods probably cost me another grand if Im lucky. OR, I say the heck with it and sell my truck for 8300, fly up, rent a car from the AP, hopes that I can find a good running rig for under 7k. Get my housing situation going which shouldn't take me more than a month, IF, I can find the right rental in Mat Su then Barge my stuff up. I'd be homeless so that would suck but I've been homeless 5 months in the last 3 years and it is not fun. so, that ought to be enough excitement for me and my 3 yr old black lab 'eh? At 55, anyone think I would be crazy to attempt this? I know "it depends how bad I want to get back to AK" I mean I do, but I'm not as hungry for it this time around. I don't think this lower 48 is gonna survive 3 more years. I seriously believe it. Well, wish me God Speed, and maybe i'll have a road report when I make it back.

bigcans, From your post on another thread you sounded like the most screwed over person that ever set foot in Alaska, Like you were unhappy with the price of things and the service that you got while you were here. Things have not changed ,prices are higher , so could I ask why you would come back to a place that treated you so bad? Did you run out of anything to complain about down there ?

We're at capacity sorry .

Being Homeless in AK is not a good thing.
    If you cannot afford to do this move then I would NOT under any circumstances do this. There is no guarantee you will end up in a better situation come winter.
    There are just to many "ifs" in your situation.
    When I moved up here I did not have a lot of money but I had family who provided me a place to stay and fed me until I could get on my feet up here.Without that I never ever would have moved up without sufficent funds to do so.
    Homeless people die up here every year for various reasons.
    So yes I definetly think you would be crazy to attempt this.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Im with Big Bend here,..
    All that stuff you mentioned in that other post are still happening
    Gas prices HIGH,...etc.

If the lower 48 is not going to survive,...I imagine you mean civilization?
    and you had found the greatest outfitter down there, I imagine thats Cabellas ?

Why not,...Just do your escape down there ??
    cause all fantasy aside,...it would be a lot less expensive down there
    and not so cold outside

if you were 25,....maybe,...come up start over, sleep in the woods if you have to
    but at 55,....
    dont do that plan
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by bigcans View Post
    after living in AK for 6 yrs, I think I had some of the best living ever. Quiet, all to myself. I had it good and will never forget it. those who own their homes, also have it darn good. The rent in anchorage is a joke! What you get and what you pay for is a complete rip off. If those crap dwellings in Anchorage were to be down here in the lower 48, they would be at least 200.00 less. I couldn't believe the rent prices in Anchorage. they are carving up renters something terrible. How they get away with it I don't know. I also don't understand that if the state has 2 oil refineries, why are Alaskans charged at least .50 to .75 cents more per gallon compared to the national average. Why congress in Juneau, allows this, I don't know either. I think, since most people enjoy Alaska, for everything that it is; it's my opinion that so many businesses still try to take advantage of the people by charging more. Less population= charge more to make up for lack of peeps. plus, their desires to live in the last frontier as well. Most business do quite well. Heck, I saw that one car wash raised their prices over 2.00 for a standard wash in the 6 yrs I was in this town. Plus, they offered a lousy air dry service. Then, you can see the wife driving around with the 2nd new Lincoln catalack 4wd. 100K in vehicles, my goodness. I don't think anyone could tell me that their supplies and expenses cost way more than what it would be for a car wash in the lower 48. If they charged that much down here, they would no customers and they wouldn't last. Just my observation. I remember buying a new 20ft boat up there with a 50hp Yamaha and had to make adjustments to the motor but they sold it for 22,500. said they saved me 500.00. 500 bucks? for what? giving me a 50hp motor when it should take at least a 75? Down here I bought a 2011 1760 CC Lowe Roughneck, duck, fish boat. from cabela's. I asked them if they could take the 60hp merc off and give me a 40hp. to save me money. They said sure. But, down here it's a different story. Plus, your dealing with one of if not the best outfitter company in the world. Not only did they give me $300.00 worth of free merchandise of my choice to outfit my boat, but they also didn't have the parts that exchanges out the lower unit to convert to a jet, so instead of me having to drive 70 miles back to the store, they gave me a 50hp instead and didn't charge me the 800.00 difference.
    And you wanna move back..??? Why bother...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    And you wanna move back..??? Why bother...???
    No Kidding,..

Bigcans,...considering quotes like this one,...

"Heck, I saw that one car wash raised their prices over 2.00 for a standard wash in the 6 yrs I was in this town. Plus, they offered a lousy air dry service. Then, you can see the wife driving around with the 2nd new Lincoln catalack 4wd. 100K in vehicles, my goodness. I don't think anyone could tell me that their supplies and expenses cost way more than what it would be for a car wash in the lower 48. If they charged that much down here, they would no customers and they wouldn't last. Just my observation."

as "Just an Observation,"of yours,...

as much as I hesitate to break your bubble,...

you're probably gonna have to buy yourself a bucket, and a sponge,...(it's no doubt, going to be at gouging prices now)

and wash your own car,.... (the wind can work pretty good as an air dry service)

It's tough up here in the Wilderness,... are you sure you're up for all that ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

so what about my other post. it's just a truthful observation that I don't consider a deterant. I would have a monthly SSA income of over 1000.00 Rent will not be an issue. I was homeless in AK, for a few weeks and got on Section 8, so I can take that anywhere. so someone gonna complain about people being on section 8? Anyone can get on it if you make under 31k per year.

so, should there be a vote to make Big Bend, the official thought police of the directory? welcome to the forum alligator mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    bigcans, From your post on another thread you sounded like the most screwed over person that ever set foot in Alaska, Like you were unhappy with the price of things and the service that you got while you were here. Things have not changed ,prices are higher , so could I ask why you would come back to a place that treated you so bad? Did you run out of anything to complain about down there ?
    Usually, the guy who doesn't put where he's from on a forum is the biggest twit in the bunch. It's obvious you didn't wish to take into consideration my started thread post here. Looks like your just looking for someone to complain about

Wow, first the OP slams Alaska in a previous post. Now she wants to come up here, live on Section 8 housing, and attacks folks for voicing an opinion.
    Yeah, um big-cans, we're plum full of folks like you, but I guess there's always California if you're seeking handouts and pats on the back.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

After 40 + years here I know where I am from and where I am at . I am at a place in my life that I am not looking for a place to bed down and let everyone chip in for my comforts in life.If life is such a struggle I would think that it would be much easier to do in warmer weather. I guess my question to you is why do you want to come to Alaska ? Your rant about all of the money that the car wash owner was making is very simple to explain. Some one worked hard and saved their money and then went to the bank and put their ass on the line and took a chance that it would pay off. He has something because he is able to buckle down and work for what he gets. If it does not work out then in most cases he stands to loose it all . So life goes on I guess that you just need to decide just how much you are willing to invest in your future.

Usually, the guy who doesn't put where he's from on a forum is the biggest twit in the bunch. It's obvious you didn't wish to take into consideration my started thread post here. Looks like your just looking for someone to complain about

Big Bend, don't you live at Big Bend?

I'm relatively familiar with life in Washington, and intimately familiar with life in Alaska. Based on my expert opinion, you have the best life YOU are going to have right where you are.

BTW, I live in Homer, AK
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

so what about my other post. it's just a truthful observation that I don't consider a deterant. I would have a monthly SSA income of over 1000.00 Rent will not be an issue. I was homeless in AK, for a few weeks and got on Section 8, so I can take that anywhere. so someone gonna complain about people being on section 8? Anyone can get on it if you make under 31k per year.
    I don't think anyone here is looking for someone to complain about. We have seen those types around this forum and thats why they are not here now.
    I think we all can see whats going on here Bigcans. Many of us have seen your type before in person.
    It sounds like you want to move here on the cheap and live off our welfare systems and other government programs. All the while complaining about how much it cost to live in Alaska and collecting a PFD. Sound about right?
    And we should welcome you with open arms right?
    Maybe I should put you up in my house and feed you for free until you get on your feet. It is only fair right? I mean I have a roof over my head plenty of food and even a few boats, snomachines, and other toys so( which I earned every bit of myself) it is obvious I have more than someone such as yourself right?
    Having seen more than one person get "stuck in Alaska" when they ran out of money and friends I cannot in my mind welcome you back here with open arms.
    So rather than get bi**hy with some of our forum members for seeing the truth in what you are saying maybe you should think really long and hard about moving back here and really really consider what you have where you are at now as not being all that bad.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

LuJon, The cabin is at Big Bend ,I could be your neighbor in Palmer depending where you live!!!!

anyone think I would be crazy to attempt this?
    A wise man once told me, Don't ask questions you dont want to hear the answer to.
    You asked and got several answers as to why this would be crazy and have gone on the defensive of why you should and on the offensive of why they are so wrong.

Why did you even ask the question