Thread: Finding GUN value?

Default Finding GUN value?

Lol I have a actual pre '64 300h&h that I'd like to find a value on. How do I go about doing this?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Lol I have a actual pre '64 300h&h that I'd like to find a value on. How do I go about doing this?
    Jake I usually try to look on ole google to see what things are sellin for and compare to what I have.. SW also has a gun value book but not sure if that is very accurate.. I am sure there are plenty of experts round here to steer ya in the right direction though.. not sure exactly what you have but here are a couple from gunbroker I found on a quick search

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...e+64+300+H%26H

The gun I have has the sling stud as a built in barrel band, not added later. Looks like the barrel was built around it.
    Master guide 212

Midway has the blue book of gun values on sale I think. Certainly you don't need to sell it now that your making the big money on the slope, eh?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Lol oh ya us roustabouts are kill in' it up there!! Thinking about buying a little island this summer, like afognak or something.
    Master guide 212

Checking out gunbrokers.com to see what guns have sold for is a good start. I bought a Remi model 721, 300 H&H about 5 years ago, I think I paid $350-$400. Not sure what they are selling for today.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Midway has the blue book of gun values on sale I think. Certainly you don't need to sell it now that your making the big money on the slope, eh?

I'd check and see if you can't figure out if the gun you're looking for is in the book before you buy it! I have a pistol and can't, for the life of me, find a value anywhere. I've seen a handful sell on gunbroker over the years, but every time I search there and gunsamerica, there are none for sale and there haven't been any for sale in a while.

I sold the one that I had for $750 to a guy from McGrath and instantly wished I had kept it. 300 H&H is a sweet round for handloaders.
    That one was re-blued and the stock was refinished so it didn't have the originality value but was in good shape.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

A general average figure for pre 64 M70s is about 1000$, this of course is an average, counting both the really hacked one from Sleetmute as well as the pristine specimen someone found in the back room of the old hardware store someone forgot to sell. Magnums usually bring a premium, unfortunately the 300 h&h adds the least value of the 6 magnum chamberings offered. Super Grade guns will generally bring around 30-50% more money than standard grade guns in comparable shape.

Now for a few things to watch for with M70s, cracked stocks, especially in magnum cartridges pre 64 M70s will almost always be split through the guard screw holes in the stock. This lowers value, but if the stock is a replacement it can totally kill the price unless a proper factory stock can be located, better a repaired factory stock than a Fajen. If you haven't fired it make certain it hasn't been rechambered to 300wby or some other "improved" case, this was very common back in the day and is very undesirable. The other thing that is worrisome or the comment you made about the barrel band, unless it was a custom shop special order item, no M70 left New Haven from 37-63 with a banded swivel, Africans had an island swivel soldered to the underside of the barrel, but no band.

Anyway that's not exactly what you asked for and maybe doesn't help your cause at all. But without looking at it and not knowing what to make of the barrel band question I will offer this for you to take or leave. In decent factory shape without any goofy alterations, including non original recoil pads, 800$-1200$, is a good estimate. If it is in great shape or has some special order options, there's lots of room for the price to rise. If in non original shape, new stock, refinished wood or metal, rechambered etc, whatever someone looking for a project or a sporter wants to pay, remember though that pre 64 actions are almost always a 400$ item as a start to a custom rifle, unless they have extensive pitting.

Just to add on to what the Kid has posted, I'm looking at the 2009 (so a little old) Standard Catalog of Firearms:

300H&H was the 5th most common/popular chambering for the pre 64 model 70's, with just over 35k made.

Prewar (pre 1945) guns seem to claim a price premium. Check your serial number. This website is a good reference for that http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Pre-war value range was from 500-1600 and post-war was 500-1150 (as of 4 years ago.) But I agree with the Kid; if the gun has some added-on stuff, modifications, etc., or any kind of reblueing/refinishing, that always detracts from the value.

I rarely seen a decent, collector grade pre 64 Model 70 go for less than a grand. I see beaters, cut stocks, modified sights, reblued/refinished guns go for under 800 (sometimes even less) back east. (Don't know about up here.)

If it were me, I would shoot and hunt with it regardless of the value. I hunt with, or carry in the field, several of them, and I wouldn't want to own anything else. Nothing in this world beats a pre 64 Winchester; they're better than sex.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Nothing in this world beats a pre 64 Winchester; they're better than sex.
    Now I sure love me an old Winchester but I think, maybe, you ainít to full potential on the other thing.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

your right on the barrel band, i got it out and double checked, it was like a barrel band under the leaf sight....seems it sould be a shade upder 2 grand if you had to put a number on it.
    Master guide 212