Thread: Loving the recent snow!

Default Loving the recent snow!

One more from last month:

So you're one of those studs that climb for hours to ski for minutes? Not one group admitted to being hunters in the "off season". I have watched many groups this winter taking the dog for a hike along Turny.

It seems most parties take the dog with. My question is...how long does it take the dog to get back down? Do you wait for him or let him find his way?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Yep, I'm one of those (but certainly not a stud), and each of the guys I skied with this winter is more of a hunter than a skier. I really, really enjoy it - but from a hunting-specific perspective, it's an excellent way to stay in sheep shape. Folks spend just as much time on treadmills and ellipticals as I do climbing, but I get to be in the mountains instead of in a windowless box and I get the added benefit of skiing (usually) untracked snow. I'm really hoping to chase bears on skis at some point, but that hasn't happened yet.

The dogs are usually not more than a couple of minutes behind. Often we'll stop mid-way down to let the dogs catch up and rest, then we'll do the same at the bottom. I don't personally own a dog, but I've skied with lots of them in the past and they never seem to be too far behind and they sure do seem to love the climb and subsequent chase.

I'll add that it provides a good way to chase birds in the off-season as well. Combining powder turns with coveys of birds makes for a sweet day in the mountains.

Nice pics Brian!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Gotta agree with you Brian. Been guiding a lot of spring bear hunts on the peninsula on snowshoes when I longed for a pair of skis. Often wondered about the Karhu meta type ski, kind of a sliding snowshoe which I think would be ideal for spring bear hunts in areas that aren't too alder choked. Once harvested a black bear on the Kenai up in Ressurection Pass on skis. Fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Once harvested a black bear on the Kenai up in Ressurection Pass on skis. Fun day.
    Very cool. I was scheming with a friend yesterday about just such a hunt. We figure next spring might be an ideal time to ski into the Kenai Mountains since it will be open for brown bear. Being as browns pop out earlier while the snow is generally still good for travel, we'll hopefully make it work. In the meantime, we sure did enjoy the sunny day yesterday. 50 degrees and blazing sun made for some soft snow, but it was still pretty dang fun and a nice way to make lemonade out of the slow spring we're experiencing.