Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you charge to clean someone's guns?

Default What would you charge to clean someone's guns?

A guy I work with approached me the other day and asked if I would clean his guns for him. He doesn't have the time and they need some attention. He says he has 11 long guns and 7 hand guns. I told him I would have to think on it because I didn't know what to charge.

So what would you guys charge to clean some one else's firearms?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    More than it would be worth to him if he doesn't make it enough of a priority to do it himself.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

50 per gun, not including materials.

$35 for a bolt action or ss, $50 for pumps, revolvers and autos, complete tear down and clean.

More than he could afford.

A guy too lazy to clean his own guns is just the kind of guy who would turn around and accuse you of doing damage to them while in your possession. Furthermore, a guy too lazy to clean his own guns strikes me as an irresponsible gun owner, and irresponsible guys shouldn't own guns. JMHO.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    More than he could afford.

A guy too lazy to clean his own guns is just the kind of guy who would turn around and accuse you of doing damage to them while in your possession. Furthermore, a guy too lazy to clean his own guns strikes me as an irresponsible gun owner, and irresponsible guys shouldn't own guns. JMHO.
    Good grief the folks around here have gotten toxic. All those lazy people that go to car washes, dog washes, nail places,or hire window washers, house cleaners are forever accusing people of damaging their stuff. <rolls eyes> I think it would be a great service, if I found someone I trusted I'd bring my semi-autos in for real good cleaning once a year to augment the cleaning I do. These aren't religious relics we are talking about they are tools for making holes in things at a distance.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Unless you have an FFL it’s a very bad idea to charge for work on guns. I used to do it on a “ya owe me one” favor to bank for next tome I was moving or something before I got an FFL.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Good grief the folks around here have gotten toxic. All those lazy people that go to car washes, dog washes, nail places,or hire window washers, house cleaners are forever accusing people of damaging their stuff. <rolls eyes> I think it would be a great service, if I found someone I trusted I'd bring my semi-autos in for real good cleaning once a year to augment the cleaning I do. These aren't religious relics we are talking about they are tools for making holes in things at a distance.
    "Good grief", I didn't intend to sound "toxic"; I intended to sound expensive... Tell ya what; if the guy wants to pack all his guns over to my place, change my oil, wash all my dishes, clean my kitchen, then clean my bathroom so it sparkles....all the while singing the Oregon State Beavers song...then I would clean his guns.

But, if he stops singing "i'm a beaver, you're a beaver, we are beavers all....", then I stop cleaning his guns. Deal?

<rolls eyes>
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

, wash all my dishes, clean my kitchen, then clean my bathroom so it sparkles....
    Is it actually possible to make YOUR bathroom sparkle?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Is it actually possible to make YOUR bathroom sparkle?
    (You gotta polish the blue foam juuuust right).
    #Resist

I would discuss it with the guy and agree on a price and a time. That is quite a few guns to have to deal with.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

"Good grief", I didn't intend to sound "toxic"; I intended to sound expensive... Tell ya what; if the guy wants to pack all his guns over to my place, change my oil, wash all my dishes, clean my kitchen, then clean my bathroom so it sparkles....all the while singing the Oregon State Beavers song...then I would clean his guns.

But, if he stops singing "i'm a beaver, you're a beaver, we are beavers all....", then I stop cleaning his guns. Deal?

<rolls eyes>
    I guess your making a joke? Your joke is as incoherent as your post about irresponsible meaning expensive.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I guess your making a joke? Your joke is as incoherent as your post about irresponsible meaning expensive.
    No joke. Cleaning another person's guns for money is a bad idea, unless you hold a FFL. And I think a guy who has fouled 18 guns and wants somebody else to clean them, is, at best, accurately described as "lazy". Hope that sounded sufficiently coherent, but not too toxic(?).
    #Resist

How well do you know him? That would be the biggest factor for me. If you know him well then I would make it well worth my time (how much is your time worth?) then I would add about 50% YMMV

this wipe-out stuff got me lazy. put the darn stuff in the barrel.....three hours later it swabs out clean.

No joke. Cleaning another person's guns for money is a bad idea, unless you hold a FFL. And I think a guy who has fouled 18 guns and wants somebody else to clean them, is, at best, accurately described as "lazy". Hope that sounded sufficiently coherent, but not too toxic(?).
    I saw nothing in the OP about whether this person has an FFL or not. I guess everyone needs to be more self sufficient. Why would you want an expert to clean something that can blow up in your face. Gotta go now my portable portable power plant just came in gotta figure how hook it up and get more self sufficient.
    Unknown author

If you do this a lot you may need business license but not ffl.I agree with the $35-$50 and would say $100. for O/U's and SxS.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Over the years I have 'cleaned' many weapoms that were not mine, however the owner was with me as I was 'teaching' them the finer art of weapon maintenance. It does not hurt to help some one learn and if they want to provide some of the supplies that I use will.......
    I have also helped friends clean thier weapomns after an afternoon of shooting. I feel that the more I can teach them, the more of a responsible weapons owner they will be.

A guy I work with approached me the other day and asked if I would clean his guns for him. He doesn't have the time and they need some attention. He says he has 11 long guns and 7 hand guns. I told him I would have to think on it because I didn't know what to charge.

Is he a friend? Are you really good at tearing down and thouroughly cleaning the inner workings of various sorts of firearms, at least to the field-stripping level? I've been cleaning my guns for forever, but I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with a pile of someone else's firearms. If he is a friend, I'd just offer to have him over and "help" if he brought the chips and salsa. If he is not a friends, I might would suggest a good gunsmith shop. However, if you need the money, I think the going shop rate is $40-$75 per hour - if you are good. If you are good, then it shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes per firearm.

Good luck.

If you keep anyone's guns overnight to do work on them, and cleaning would count, then you need an FFL. If you do the work in his presence or same day my understanding is no FFL is required.

Some people have very demanding jobs and personal lives and hence don't have time to work on hobbies. Not having the time doesn't make one a lazy gun owner.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast