Thread: Chris "supertramp" McCandless strikes again

Default Chris "supertramp" McCandless strikes again

News story out of Oregon

Stuff like this makes me wonder about a lot of things.

One of those things is the value of exposing children to the natural world at an early age. Show them that the real world has teeth and claws that do not look dangerous, but can mess you up just the same.

Another of those things is why do people not understand that a GPS is a navigation tool and not navigation itself. Too many people follow a GPS manufactured line on a screen to their demise. Navigation is pretty simple and GPS makes it harder when you don't know how to navigate.

Life is an IQ test......Some folks just flunk sooner than others...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Wow. And a vegetarian of all things.....yeah.... That's not gonna work out to well. It's pretty stupendous what people don't think about when they decide to do such drastic undertakings.

Release Lake Trout

"...his son had called him while lost on a remote road in the southern part of the county, and needed help."

Called from what? If there is a landline phone or a cell phone, then he couldn't have been very "remote." Then again, what passes for "remote" in the L48 is anything more than a mile from a 7-11.

"...also planned to join the Church of the Holy Light of the Queen, a South American religion that uses hallucinogenic tea as a sacrament."

Yeah, this guy was REAL stable.

You can get cell service in parts of Harney county. Outside of AK that is the least densley populated county in the US. I spent a good portion of my life tromping around the Steens. It is still pretty wild there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    You can get cell service in parts of Harney county. Outside of AK that is the least densley populated county in the US. I spent a good portion of my life tromping around the Steens. It is still pretty wild there.
    Depends on where they've put the darned repeaters.

Locate the place in the US where the last horse still employed by the original Pony Express carried mail, just before they sent him, the very last of his breed, out to pasture. That's some very very rough country where cell phones are useless.

I got a cell call through well over 30 miles from the nearest cell tower once. I was up high enough to get a semi-clear line of sight, but I was quite surprised. Also, CDMA type cells work over a longer distance than GSM types.

I don't think he watched "Into the Wild" all the way to the end. If he had, he might have realized how his adventure was going to end.

If he watched it like I did then he fell asleep about 10 minutes into it and woke up after the credits started. Worst 10 minutes of my life. Sometimes mother nature places her own form of bleach in the gene pool.

Not to hijack but... speaking of Mcandless.... the bus nearly claimed more victims.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...a4bcf6878.html

They thought break up would be a good time for this trek???
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Have not been there before cant you drive to it?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Have not been there before cant you drive to it?

Ron
    In an ORV, or snowmachine, when the conditions allow.

I've Mt. Biked into it many times, but not recently. Before the book came out, it was actually a nice lil spot to hold over and hunt or fish the area around it.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Jeep maybe?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Yep. I've seen various off road rigs out there in the past, but those rivers, especially during the heat of the day, get deeeep and faaaast quick. Rule of thumb for us on bikes was to always cross super early in the morning, going and coming.