Thread: Brass for 6.8 SPC - small or large primers?

Default Brass for 6.8 SPC - small or large primers?

Anyone here have experience reloading 6.8 SPC? It's really tough to search for some calibers because of the "less than 4 characters" search rule, so I browsed back a bit, but couldn't find anything, so I posted. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Most of the new brass for sale has small primer pockets, however Remington factory has large primer pockets. Any thoughts one way or the other??

I think I would personally prefer the large primer pockets, but as of yet, I can't find a source other than once fired Remington.

I would recommend the small rifle primers type such as used by SSA and Federal.

LWRC is selling once fired Federal brass for $280/1000

Here is the link:
    http://www.lwrci.com/p-327-68-once-f...s-casings.aspx

Given a choice I would choose the small primer pockets. With the limited case capacity the small primers will be more consistent just as they are in the PPC and BR lines of cartridges; and consistence is the key to accurate ammo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I handload for the 6.8 SPC and started with Remington brass with the large primer pocket. I bought Remington brass because that was what was available at the time. Having said all that I have found several loads in my rifle that are sub MOA and very consistant.

Depends on the make of brass some use large some use small primers
    Alaska

What kind of rifle? I load Hornady once fired with 95-110 grain bullets over AA2200 sparked off with CCI 41's in my AR15. CCI 41's are the consensus best pick for primers in the AR platform due to their harder construction.

The 6.8 SPC is a lot of fun but in the beginning Remington got it all wrong! The large primer pocket, short throat and to fast twist barrels nearly doomed the cartridge.

I am shooting a Bison Armory upper in 6.8. My load is 95-110 grain barnes TTSx over a charge of Reloader 10X ignighted by a Federal match primer. interestingly enough I have found a load for the 95 gr. BarnesTTSx and one for the 110 gr. Barnes TTSx that have the same point of impact at one hundred yards. Each load utilizing a different weight charge of Reloader 10X. Nice to be able to switch between bullet weights and not have to make scope adjustments. Obivously the farther out you get the more effect the bullet weight difference makes on point of impact. Have not shot farther than 100 yards with these loads yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What kind of rifle? I load Hornady once fired with 95-110 grain bullets over AA2200 sparked off with CCI 41's in my AR15. CCI 41's are the consensus best pick for primers in the AR platform due to their harder construction.

The 6.8 SPC is a lot of fun but in the beginning Remington got it all wrong! The large primer pocket, short throat and to fast twist barrels nearly doomed the cartridge.
    CCI 41 are the same primers as CCI 450 magnums, the REM 7 1/2 are also recommended fro the AR's.

I would watch the 68forums Equip. Exchange forum. Brass is often for sale there.
    Doesn't hurt to have some of each. Once you find a load you like the other brass can be for practice.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!