Thread: Rock Island 10mm?

Default Rock Island 10mm?

Has anyone shot the new RIA 10mm 1911? Wondering how it would do with heavy loads.

I'm interested as well, I was looking at buying or trading for one. My buddy has a RIA 1911 in 45 ACP, and it's a solid gun. Shoots just as well as my ruger anyway. I can't imagine the 10mm would be much different.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I picked up a new RIA Tactical in 10mm this week. My first impression was wow. Incredible pistol for the money. I have owned several 1911's, and this one is as nice as I have ever owned. Ordering a new recoil spring this week, so I can shoot some Buffalo bore 220's through it. It shot great with some plinking ammo. I will post again when I get the spring changed over.

I'm really curious too,about the RIA 1911 in general. How tight is this gun fitted? How crisp is the trigger? What groups at 25 yards will it produce? I have no idea what the "tactical" model is. How are the sights?
    What does " shoots good with plinking loads "mean?
    The epitome of 10mm in 1911 is the now defunct DW point man. And it's a fine shooter but does not shoot with even lower priced 1911's in 45 ACP. I'm wondering why one would choose a RIA 1911 in 10mm over. G20SF or Gen 4. Not trying to insult 1911 lovers as I am certainly one but they generally require upwards of $1500 for one fitted so well as to be reliable and accurate. And along with that I'll say the Springfield line if 1911 gives the best of both those criteria for the dollar.
    Also I have no idea of the price of this RIA Tactical 1911, care to share that?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I rather like the 45 Super

It is fitted as tight as any new 1911 I have handled. I could use a few upgrades though. I don't have a trigger gauge, but the trigger is ok. I will be getting a new one soon. Groups @ 3" at 25 yds with Blazer 200 gr ammo. The front fiber optic sight is good, and the rear 2 dot sight is adjustable, but it is a little cheesy. I will probably replace that also. I have ordered some springs and will shoot the buffalo bore 220's as soon as they get here. For $590, my opinion is I couldn't have done better for the money. I sold my G20sf to get this. Nothing wrong with the glock, I just have smaller hands, and it seemed to big for me with the heavier loads. You can get a better 1911 for sure than the RIA, but I could buy the rock and then upgrade it for far less than the better ones.

Default 10 mm info.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I'm interested as well, I was looking at buying or trading for one. My buddy has a RIA 1911 in 45 ACP, and it's a solid gun. Shoots just as well as my ruger anyway. I can't imagine the 10mm would be much different.
    I have a Colt Delta Elite 10 mm, I got one of the first ones in 1989. I really love it. at 25 I can shoot a tight circle. But I like to shoot from a little longer distance and with a little practice where you can judge your drop you can to. I normally shoot a 210 grain when I can find them, if your going to shoot very much it is well worth buying a reloader, I think all the ammo went up 7% yesterday.

Rock. I have a Colt Delta elite 10 mm, got it in 1989 and I normally shoot 210 grain with it and have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopspa View Post
    It is fitted as tight as any new 1911 I have handled. I could use a few upgrades though. I don't have a trigger gauge, but the trigger is ok. I will be getting a new one soon. Groups @ 3" at 25 yds with Blazer 200 gr ammo. The front fiber optic sight is good, and the rear 2 dot sight is adjustable, but it is a little cheesy. I will probably replace that also. I have ordered some springs and will shoot the buffalo bore 220's as soon as they get here. For $590, my opinion is I couldn't have done better for the money. I sold my G20sf to get this. Nothing wrong with the glock, I just have smaller hands, and it seemed to big for me with the heavier loads. You can get a better 1911 for sure than the RIA, but I could buy the rock and then upgrade it for far less than the better ones.
    I'd say you have a winner. And 3" at 25 is good enough. Blazer ammo, brass or aluminum is not that good. As you say plinkin'. The BB's won't be more accurate but more umph! I think if you grip the 1911 as intended, riding the safety you'll need a short trigger to get you well. Your old G20sf is not any larger in circumference but wider and that seems harder for some to get around.
    I looked at an RIA wide body this week, a 9x19 with an extra barrel and magazine for the 22 TTM. (I think that's what it's called). A nicely fitted gun with good trigger. Other than the wide body it was not true 1911 though. In their price range, the RIA is probably a great gun. If money were no object, anyone could have a good 1911 but budget guns that work are sorely needed.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Most of the new "budget priced" 1911s I've examined are fitted much better than the military surplus 1911s we were all using back in the 60s and 70s and it is gratifying to hear how well this RIA Tactical shoots. My 10mm is a Colt Delta stainless purchased new in the late 80s. Box stock it worked just fine, but was not quite what I wanted so like Murphy mentioned above, I ended up adding $1200 a year later on top of the $800 for the pistol. Videcki trigger, low mount bo-mars, checkered front grip strap, checkered mainspring housing, checkered front of trigger guard (a habit picked up in IPSC competition and which really works, if you learn it) dovetail front sight, beavertail grip safety with bump, slide/frame fitted, long link, etc. Cuts cloverleaf groups at 25 yards with DT 200 grain WFN at 1300 +/- depending on temperature, etc. After market magazines add an extra round. It is way faster for the second , third, ...9th shot than my 4" .41 or .44 mag N frames are for 6 shots, and when running them all as fast as I can, it is simply easier to place the shot exactly where I want it with the 10mm. And lets be honest - that's all that counts as long as there is enough penetration to get in where it has to go to stop the problem. And no, I'm not intimidated by a .44 mag - I've worn out an N frame in .44 magnum shooting heavy loads (Smith rebuilt it twice for me) before switching to .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk for heavy cast bullet shooting in a handgun. Ross Seyfried once commented that "anything that goes bang is better than your fingers" when it comes to picking a backup handgun, and I think this RIA 10mm is a good bet for anyone looking for an inexpensive handgun that is relatively easy to shoot with more oomph than a .357. I think I may have to get one for backup to the Colt.