Thread: Sharpening AT Impeller?

Default Sharpening AT Impeller?

I have a AT jet, wondering if these aluminum impellers can be sharpened. I have 3-4 A & AA impellers laying around. I had gotten into the habit of just buying new, wasn't sure if it was worth it to touch the blades up considering the cost of gas and the risk of loosing efficiency.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

They can be touched up and I have done it on a outboard jet as well as my Kodiak three stage. The way it was explained to me is that the leading edge of an impeller should be made to look like the leading edge of an airplane wing. Mainly I just try to smooth out some of the rock dings and even things out a little.

I take my AT impellers to professional automotive on Potter and they can "touch" it up. By having the pro's do it they can keep it in balance. I finally got tired of the alum impeller and went to stainless steel. it was a remarkalble difference. They are $$$ but IMO it was worth it.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    They can be touched up and I have done it on a outboard jet as well as my Kodiak three stage. The way it was explained to me is that the leading edge of an impeller should be made to look like the leading edge of an airplane wing. Mainly I just try to smooth out some of the rock dings and even things out a little.
    Which edge should I give it the angle when sharpening, or does it matter? I touched up a few o/b impellers but I can't remember which side I had to file after getting the nicks out of the blade.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default By the book - Marine Jet Drive by Joan and Clarence Coles 1961 - 1991

img004.jpg

Hope this helps.