Thread: Oars For An Alaska Series Jet Ranger

Question Oars For An Alaska Series Jet Ranger

Posted this in the wrong forum the other day. Some looks, but no replies. I talked to Jim King about oars for a 450 & he gave me appropriate length & blade size for said boat. So, what brands are guys using & of what material? Is it even worth worrying about?

I am partial to break-down oars because they will fit in airplanes. Carlisle brand is good quality and some of my oars have been in use for more than thirty years. There are other, more light weight, oars on the market but don't go too cheaply here because your oars are one of the most important components of your rafting system.

Here's a link to a similar thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ngth?highlight=

Since then, I picked up a couple pieces of aluminum tubing and have made a pair of 5" and 7" risers to go along with the factory 12"ers.

I plan to test them all this spring and decide which oarlock height works best for me. I plan to use 8' Carlisle one-piece oars. I'd rather use two-piece oars (for the reasons cited above). But, I want black oars, not blue, and the take-down models are only available in blue.

Hope this helps with your decision.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Thanks for the replies! That link BND explains a lot. Let us know how you make out with those shorter risers. I also like the two-piece option.