Thread: Last Years (2012) Kenai Silver Run...

Default Last Years (2012) Kenai Silver Run...

We fished the middle Kenai for about 2 weeks late last September/Early Oct. targeting the second run of silvers. In spite of the historic flooding we were able to catch some very nice fish but there didn't seem to be very many in the river compared to years past. From what I was able to read about the early run, it sounds like it never really materialized either.

Am I correct in thinking that the entire coho run was extremely weak? If so, is this a natural cycle or something to be really concerned about? Any beliefs as to the cause?

We didn't do very well either, silvers were WAY down in Seward (have been for a couple years) and seemed to be down in several other Cook Inlet waters. Don't know if it a trend yet, guess we'll see this year...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    We didn't do very well either, silvers were WAY down in Seward (have been for a couple years) and seemed to be down in several other Cook Inlet waters. Don't know if it a trend yet, guess we'll see this year...
    Pretty slow in Valdez as well. I've only fished the run once before that but from what I was told while I was there, it was one of the worst, if not the worst year many of them could remember.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

The first run wasn't bad, I did real well until the flood. Bings and down was normal for a humpy year but didn't fish the kenai after that.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    While last year the silver run in Seward was pretty much a complete bust, 2011 was fantastic. Some of the hottest silver fishing I can remember, but we only fished 4-5 days, so perhaps we simply got lucky. One trip in particular, we limited the boat in 45 minutes, including two kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    While last year the silver run in Seward was pretty much a complete bust, 2011 was fantastic. Some of the hottest silver fishing I can remember, but we only fished 4-5 days, so perhaps we simply got lucky. One trip in particular, we limited the boat in 45 minutes, including two kings.
    2011 wasn't as bad as 2012 for us in Seward, but it was definatey worse than 2009/2010 for us, both early and mid season, we don't normally fish out that way after mid/late july.

Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    The first run wasn't bad, I did real well until the flood. Bings and down was normal for a humpy year but didn't fish the kenai after that.
    Good to year that the first run showed some fish in the lower river. According to the weekly reports on the ADF&G site the run never really developed. We will be there this year targeting the early run so hopefully they show up in decent numbers again.

Coho were basically a no-show during my 2 wk 2012 stay in the lower river. Sockeye and pinks saved the trip
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

it was a poor year alround for Silvers.

hoping this year is better.

Yeah I think it was a bust for silvers, I don't think they had the numbers they usually do plus the high water didn't help things much either to hard to target them in the normal haunts.

We were fortunate enough to find limits of very nice (some real slobs) slivers on most days once we were able to get out on the river but they were almost non-existent in their usual haunts. They fish that were in-river seemed to be concentrated in a few small areas, I suppose they were waiting for the water to recede prior to spawning. Once the fish vacated these areas and spread back out it was clear that there were not many in the river as they were extremely few and far between.

I wonder what is to blame for these low numbers? Is it a natural cycle or a trend?