Thread: Camping pillow, win-win

Thumbs up Camping pillow, win-win

Just thought I'd share something with the masses ...
    I've been camping my whole life and just now figure this out.

I recently bought an uber light-weight dry bag to use as a stuff sack for my down sleeping bag. The idea was to keep the down dry. The bonus is that if you partially fill the dry bag with air and seal it up it makes a great camp pillow. The outside of dry bag feels like nylon so it not the typical stiff material. No more stuff sacks filled with dirty laundry for me.

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to think of this but chances are there are a few people it could help. No doubt everyone knows the value of a good pillow after a long day in the BC.

What are you using for a dry bag? The usual ones that I've tried can be quite water tight if rolled down well, but don't hold air under a little pressure for 8 hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    What are you using for a dry bag? The usual ones that I've tried can be quite water tight if rolled down well, but don't hold air under a little pressure for 8 hours at a time.
    I got a Outdoor Research Hydrolite Dry sack. I haven't try out the idea for a full 8 hours yet to see if it would hold water ... I mean air.

Campmor has them on sale. I've found these guys to be pretty good. Reasonable shipping cost and FAST. On my last two orders the package arrived within a week. Not bad for AK.
    https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...0226&langId=-1

Default one additional suggestion

Not sure what temperature your camping in, however if your in camping when its cold, you will want to stuff it with clothing for insulation. An air pillow would act just like an airmattress, they are comfortable but will suck the heat out of you faster than you can believe.

I use this same type of setup and on a cool evening, no clothes stuffed in that sack will make for a very cold night.

Default Dry Bags w/ air valves

Many companies make dry bags with an air valve built into them-Cabela's has them called XPG Dry Sacks I believe and Simms WX-Tex Dry Creek sacks. They are built flat and work extremely well for a pillow in the small sizes. Bigger ones are a bit much-unless you are tent-bound for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
    Just thought I'd share something with the masses ...
    I've been camping my whole life and just now figure this out.

I recently bought an uber light-weight dry bag to use as a stuff sack for my down sleeping bag. The idea was to keep the down dry. The bonus is that if you partially fill the dry bag with air and seal it up it makes a great camp pillow. The outside of dry bag feels like nylon so it not the typical stiff material. No more stuff sacks filled with dirty laundry for me.

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to think of this but chances are there are a few people it could help. No doubt everyone knows the value of a good pillow after a long day in the BC.

I wonder what effect the mosquito repellant residue on my face and neck would have on that plasticized dry bag? Hmmmmmm....

Simple-none. Trust me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    I wonder what effect the mosquito repellant residue on my face and neck would have on that plasticized dry bag? Hmmmmmm....

I use those "Platypus" water bladders. (I like them because you can squeeze the air out of them. That way, they don't take up any more room than necessary, and they don't slosh). Anyway, if you partially inflate them, then wrap them up in a sweater or fleece or whatever, they make pretty good pillows.

Well, I've had a couple chances to test out the dry bag as a pillow.
    .. 4 nights out in Harriman Fjord last week. great trip, btw.

I was happy to find out that the bag I got did hold air for the night and kept my bag dry while stuffed in the boat. I ended up putting some fleece in it at night to act as a firm core but the added air cushion was nice. Especially with a sore neck from paddling all day.

And if I kept the pillow in the hood of my sleeping bag it stayed warm. Id guess the temp dropped down to the high 30s to the lower 40s at night. I don't do much winter camping so this should work out well.