Thread: Tailing gaffs?

Default Tailing gaffs?

Anyone use a tailing gaff?

Tried a couple and didn't like em. When you bring the fish to the boat, the tail is always the wrong end of the fish to be reaching for. No current and big halibut is even worse. The thing is hanging straight down below the boat.

Charterboat Operator

I used to have one of those sleek cable tailers, used it on the smaller penninsula rivers instead of a gaff for kings. kind of a PITA to use, but it landed quite a few fish.
    so, one day I am thinking "lets try it on some halibut" note:we were fishing from an inflatable, so up comes about a 20 pound halibut, lay it flat and slide the tailer around, in the boat it comes floppin and shaking, not bad. Next but is about 75 pounds, by this time I am thinking i am onto something, so we slide the fish up along the boat, slip that tailer over it and WHAM, felt like i was riding Brutus in a Rodeo! after a 15 second, felt like an hour, battle we get the tail of the butt up and over the pontoon, and now we have a pissed off hali in the boat still going about mach 3.
    by the time i was done, i had a bloody nose, bruises all over, a couple of goose eggs on my noggin, from the hadle pretending it was a billy club.
    beludgeoned the fish to death, removed the tailer, threw it into the depths of cook inlet and swore never to use one again!!

thats my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The thing is hanging straight down below the boat.
    Now, I'm asking because I don't know...how is that different than a standard lip gaff and the fish hanging straight down by the head?

The reason I ask is because as I get more into fishing solo, and out of a smaller boat, I'm working on getting fish over the gunwhale by myself on a fly rod. Anything of ling or salmon size, even the giants will fit in my net. (Frabil Big Game....has had 54" muskies in it with plenty of room...) But I see myself getting a halibut boatside and trying to get a lip gaff in it's mouth just inches away from a fly and I worry about knocking the fly out or tangling it on the gaff...either dead or alive. And I'm thinking the target of the tail gaff loop vs the tail is a larger target than a lip gaff vs a lip.

And also, while I love to keep and eat fish, I can't keep all of them. So if I've got a halibut, or hell... a shark or whatever up, and I'm not going to shoot it or get it in the net, I want to get it's tail out of the water and not pierce it's skull with a lip gaff.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I'm just trying to save myself some trial and error by asking here. Sounds like they're not popular....

Gaff, harpoon, gun, net, lip-gripping tool, and de-hooking tool should take care of everything. When in doubt cut the leader as close as possible to the fish.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Gaff, harpoon, gun, net, lip-gripping tool, and de-hooking tool should take care of everything. When in doubt cut the leader as close as possible to the fish.
    I'm good for everything there, 'cept the harpoon. I've harpooned fish before, but in my boat, I don't want to carry it around, all the rope and buoys....it's just a pain for me and I'd rather kill the thing or get it loose and back in the water. I'm pretty set on my fish hanlding...just trying to decide which end of the fish I want to gaff! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    Now, I'm asking because I don't know...how is that different than a standard lip gaff and the fish hanging straight down by the head?
    Can't get to the tail unless you have enough room in the boat to "walk" the halibut far enough and fast enough to get it laying flat on the water so you can tail it.

If you're soloing it, my pick is a flying gaff.

Charterboat Operator

I use a couple fathom chunk of 3/4 bottom shot crab line with a **** load of memory in it for tailing sharks! it will hold a big loop in it tell it's deployed.. Never tailed a hali tho......

PB- lmao! That was a good one!