Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: upgrading to DPH-C on both boats!

  1. #1
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default upgrading to DPH-C on both boats!

    We put about 2000hrs on the DPH-B 1:63 powered with a single 370hp and spun a top bearing, this drive was sent out to Indemand every year for a go thru. On one of regular oil changes we notice grey glittery oil! we put a 1:69 DPH-C on. THe other boat has a DPH-b 1:96 powered by a single D4 225 and after the guys at indemand went thru it they say it has pitting in gears and can go any hour and recommend a replacement. I would rather have identical drives to swap back and forth from boat to baot as needed. We put the DPHC we had here on the D4 and tried G6 props on and it couldnt reverse of the trailer, we then put the smallest props volvo makes on G2 and it worked! 3600 plus RPMS at 31 knots(loss of 4 knots) but at cruise 3000rpms 25knts and 6gals hr, 2500rpms 18knts at 4.5 gal hr. Today we will put the G3s on and see what happens.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  2. #2
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    I'm not knocking your boats, their beauties !! but why do you need outdrives ?? all they are is trouble. Wouldn't a boat with shaft and big prop be better for a long lasting trouble free life ?? Just asking not trying to start anything.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  3. #3
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm not knocking your boats, their beauties !! but why do you need outdrives ?? all they are is trouble. Wouldn't a boat with shaft and big prop be better for a long lasting trouble free life ?? Just asking not trying to start anything.
    Enlighten me, I have not been sold on trouble free, I grew fishing on a shaft boat, and I see shaft boats all in the harbor and we all lug tools and parts up and down the docks. I like the volvo duo props for efficiency and having had outdrives with singles and duo props I did see the difference, but yes I been sending outdrives out to get "checked" over ever year for along time and they still go out. Show me a boat that can cruise at 18 knots with 4500lbs of fish aboard burning 18gals an hour and the same boat can be used as a charter boat burning 12gals an hour at 18knts or go like 25kts at 18gals an hr and not have things wear out. I want a boat like that.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  4. #4
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Maybe not as fast as you want but it will do the job
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...new-price.html

    You need to go talk with a few of the builders of downeast boats, put the horsepower to them and they will do pretty close to what your asking and i know big slow turning diesels with big transmissions, big shafts and big props will sure outlast any outdrive. Those guys back there seem to be getting 5-7000 hours out of their engines with just normal maintainence. Go a little slower and last a lot longer. I sure wish we could of had a good chat at the sportsmans show it would of been fun. Not doing the fairbanks show? are ya ??

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  5. #5
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Maybe not as fast as you want but it will do the job
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sa...new-price.html

    You need to go talk with a few of the builders of downeast boats, put the horsepower to them and they will do pretty close to what your asking and i know big slow turning diesels with big transmissions, big shafts and big props will sure outlast any outdrive. Those guys back there seem to be getting 5-7000 hours out of their engines with just normal maintainence. Go a little slower and last a lot longer. I sure wish we could of had a good chat at the sportsmans show it would of been fun. Not doing the fairbanks show? are ya ??
    When we purchased the Roamer we also had a purchase agreement with Cory Giumond with Mellinium boats pending a signiture from eastern canada for a 32X11 with a cummins, we decided with the Roamer for Constructions technique, vacuum packed core cunstruction vs hand laid over wood. we are done with shows for the year and getting the boats ready for bear hunters and king trollers. I puut around in the winter with the Roamer 2.5gals hr at 8 knts when Im by myself.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  6. #6

    Default

    The other thing to consider is the trailer aspect. Not saying you can't launch inboard boats with one but usually requires the boat sitting higher on the trailer (keel), and thus having to really get the whole thing way into the water to float the boat?
    Not unsurmountable with an extended tongue trailer but they don't seem to be popular here. All the better to keep the truck from touching the water.

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    The other thing to consider is the trailer aspect. Not saying you can't launch inboard boats with one but usually requires the boat sitting higher on the trailer (keel), and thus having to really get the whole thing way into the water to float the boat?
    Not unsurmountable with an extended tongue trailer but they don't seem to be popular here. All the better to keep the truck from touching the water.
    not a problem for me, 6' extendable tongue, tires only touch the water and brakes never get wet.
    boat trailer 8.jpg

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    When we purchased the Roamer we also had a purchase agreement with Cory Giumond with Mellinium boats pending a signiture from eastern canada for a 32X11 with a cummins, we decided with the Roamer for Constructions technique, vacuum packed core cunstruction vs hand laid over wood. we are done with shows for the year and getting the boats ready for bear hunters and king trollers. I puut around in the winter with the Roamer 2.5gals hr at 8 knts when Im by myself.
    Get away from the canadian boats they like wood with fiberglass over it, the mainers can build you a all composite boat, no wood at all.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  9. #9

    Default

    Great pic Steve. Tongue extensions are almost mandatory for Hawaii waters, the salinity & corrosion factor is something to behold. I was amazed to move here and find that it's fairly common to not rinse boat, trailer, truck (if it touches the water). Going to add an extension to mine.

  10. #10
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Great pic Steve. Tongue extensions are almost mandatory for Hawaii waters, the salinity & corrosion factor is something to behold. I was amazed to move here and find that it's fairly common to not rinse boat, trailer, truck (if it touches the water). Going to add an extension to mine.
    My trailer has a brake flushing set up also. Trailer was custom built for my boat then hot dipped galvanized all in one piece, should last awhile.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •