Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point Mackenzie or big lake area

Default Point Mackenzie or big lake area

I Live off the Knick Goose Bay rd (just moved from Fairbanks this winter) and my son is 10 and is wanting to set up a bait site and I was hoping to keep it somewhat close because I moved here in the winter I havent had opportunities to scout at allwhen the bears were up. I looked at some maps and was looking at areas south of the goose bay state refuge or maybe off the banks of the little su I looked at the big lake area too but I dont know what has a black bear population as for access I have an ATV.I Just dont want to make plans for an area and have no access due to swamps or something everything changes after break up in the end I am looking sor something simple I was wanting a site that we could hunt with a little time and not have to take several days from school /work. I want him to have a site that he can atleast have activity on his trail cam I am letting him set the whole thing up himself and just would like for him to see the result of his work even if it means a couple little bears.any help would be great
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but this area has been devoid of bears for quite a few years. I have been here since 06 (I'm also on KGB) and I've never seen a bear, or even a bear track/scat and I've explored the area quite a bit. Point Mackenzie - I've hunted moose and birds out there. Never seen bear sign. Big Lake - I haven't spent much time there, so I can't help you in that area.

I recently talked to another KGB area resident, and he said the last time he saw a black bear in this area was over 15 years ago. Bears typically avoid people if they can find enough food in their habitat. That's probably why they moved out of this area - too many of us.

Maybe try going a little farther north near the mountains? You'd have better luck there, and from KGB you can take Vine to the Parks. It wouldn't be much more of a drive than going out Point Mackenzie.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

About 3-4 years ago while ATV riding with a toddler I ran across a brand new blackie cub on the main road (the year before it was blacktopped) at the very end where it leads down to the water. With no Mom in sight we eased away with one hand on the throttle and the other on the revolver. I had no idea if I was then already between Mom and cub, so I did not even wait to take a picture; too much cover for Mom to be in.

Same general area: Same timeframe there was a bait stand 1/4 mile from the far side of Lake Lorraine. Don't know if he did any good there; I ran across the bait station by accident; I was on it before I knew. If the owner is still working the area you'll want to stay clear of his area, but there are a lot of side path possibilities on the ATV trip there, from the main road.

Wish you the best.

Good info FM - maybe they are out there. I like to fish Loraine in the summer and I have a boat this year. I'll have to make it a point to go ashore on the opposite side from the boat launch (If you can call it that) and scout around for bear sign.

Roughneck - even if your son doesn't get any bears in his game cam, he's sure to get some kind of wildlife. I'd say pick a spot and go for it. He'll learn something, and at 10 - he'll be excited to even see a porcupine in his camera.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Good info FM - maybe they are out there. I like to fish Loraine in the summer and I have a boat this year. I'll have to make it a point to go ashore on the opposite side from the boat launch (If you can call it that) and scout around for bear sign.
    soldier, I think I can tell by your posts that you're not the kind of guy to go mess with another's existing setup. I am not sure what distance is recommended between stands, but there might very well be enough room to find a second spot on the way back; problem with that is that if you go left its lake and if you go right its a cliff almost that doesn't level off until its close to the Inlet in altitude. So I'd recommend Left of trail between the trail and the lake if you find a spot.

And watch out if you choose right, because it turns to private at some point. If you take the final left from the main road just before you get wet in the Inlet, you'll see the private property. Now if you go back up and take the trail we talk, you can then look down at the private prop (seeing it all from there; very very nice spot he has there) and that should help in staying off it - they patrolled the holy heck out of that private prop area last I saw; don't come close to it I recommend.

Boat Launch..... LOL

Before anyone pipes up asking what sort of trailer can access that "launch", let me defuse the question; there is no boat launch there. AKsoldier is talking about an area that ATVs use to access the lake, and sometimes its hard for the ATVs themselves to go, if its real wet.

The trail goes around the right/SouthEast side of the lake to a beautiful rough camping spot probably only 1/3 of the way around the lake. The bait stand I ran into was at the then-natural end to that trail.

While I haven't seen a bear since that sighting I mention, neither do I go to this area anymore since they paved the darn road those last 15 or so miles to the Cook Inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    soldier, I think I can tell by your posts that you're not the kind of guy to go mess with another's existing setup. I am not sure what distance is recommended between stands, but there might very well be enough room to find a second spot on the way back; problem with that is that if you go left its lake and if you go right its a cliff almost that doesn't level off until its close to the Inlet in altitude. So I'd recommend Left of trail between the trail and the lake if you find a spot.

And watch out if you choose right, because it turns to private at some point. If you take the final left from the main road just before you get wet in the Inlet, you'll see the private property. Now if you go back up and take the trail we talk, you can then look down at the private prop (seeing it all from there; very very nice spot he has there) and that should help in staying off it - they patrolled the holy heck out of that private prop area last I saw; don't come close to it I recommend.

Boat Launch..... LOL

Before anyone pipes up asking what sort of trailer can access that "launch", let me defuse the question; there is no boat launch there. AKsoldier is talking about an area that ATVs use to access the lake, and sometimes its hard for the ATVs themselves to go, if its real wet.

The trail goes around the right/SouthEast side of the lake to a beautiful rough camping spot probably only 1/3 of the way around the lake. The bait stand I ran into was at the then-natural end to that trail.

While I haven't seen a bear since that sighting I mention, neither do I go to this area anymore since they paved the darn road those last 15 or so miles to the Cook Inlet.
    Thanks for the multiple laughs in that post! Somebody rep him for me - seems I already gave him some too recently. Yeah, the "road" to the lake is little more than a goat trail, and the "boat launch" is the bank at the edge of the lake, where you're at the mercy of the water level. I placed a geocache there with a few flies and lures for those who want to trade. It's gotten a few hits, and a few flies and lures have been traded. One geocacher lamented that he had to walk the last half - mile because his 2wd pickup couldn't make it in - that should be an indication of the accessibility, or lack thereof.

I know about the private property, and I have always avoided that area. Now that I have a boat though, I'm interested in exploring the other side. And you're right FamilyMan - I would never mess with anyone's bait site. In fact, if I see evidence (tracks) of one in the area, I generally leave the way I came in, in an effort to prevent saturation of my scent.

I also remember when that road was gravel. I have a picture somewhere that I took years ago... 55 MPH speed limit on a dirt road. Only in Alaska, LOL.

I live at mile 4 big lake road. And I've been stomping around here for 20 years. There are a few bears around. I saw a big Griz cross big lake road at Mile 2 last summer jus behind my truck. Seen him in the rear view. There are some black bears along the lil sue. I could ( if you want) give you directions to a fairly decent area you can access with an atv.

i got him for ya soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I live at mile 4 big lake road. And I've been stomping around here for 20 years. There are a few bears around. I saw a big Griz cross big lake road at Mile 2 last summer jus behind my truck. Seen him in the rear view. There are some black bears along the lil sue. I could ( if you want) give you directions to a fairly decent area you can access with an atv.

i got him for ya soldier
    Thanks! I know most folks around here would be a bit nervous to see more bears around, but I sure wouldn't mind. With no closed season on blackies, I'd sure have a reason to get my bow tuned up if there were a few more of them around. My whole family favors black bear meat above all other meat.

FYI you can't bait within a 1/4 mile if the lil sue

Thanks! I know most folks around here would be a bit nervous to see more bears around, but I sure wouldn't mind. With no closed season on blackies, I'd sure have a reason to get my bow tuned up if there were a few more of them around. My whole family favors black bear meat above all other meat.

Haha n/p. I sure ain't too nervous. I'd like to see more around here but you kno in truth in the more remote hoods there are enough to hunt over bait. Anywhere along the lil su you'll find bears, and especially on lower reaches of lil su. Ifn only I had me a wheeler nowadays.......

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post

Hmm..... I don't bait, so no I did not know that. Interesting rule though wonder why?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post

I had heard someone say they were talking about changing that. I haven't ready any proposition or heard anything from BOG, so I have no idea, just hearsay.

I also remember when that road was gravel. I have a picture somewhere that I took years ago... 55 MPH speed limit on a dirt road. Only in Alaska, LOL.

Ever been to SoDak?

I am right off of PM RD and have been down there for several years and have seen only one bear in the area and he was a young 2year old. Had a brown come by the house but only saw tracks. There maybe more sign towards Little Sue but that is only about 8ml from me. Hope this helps

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Ever been to SoDak?
    I have to admit - I have no clue where that is. I'm guessing a place where there are only dirt roads? Plenty of those communities in AK.

I also live off of KGB, near the Hay Flats, and had a Brownie with cubs in the yard 4 years ago. Likewise have seen black bears every Summer/Fall since moving there 13+ years ago. Have an old, non digital pic, of a lynx out back from '04, and cut it's tracks every Winter or two.
    Neighbors lost a pup to a coyote the year we moved in, and we see em infrequently around the area.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have to admit - I have no clue where that is. I'm guessing a place where there are only dirt roads? Plenty of those communities in AK.
    SoDak = South Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    SoDak = South Dakota.
    Hah, funny you should mention that. South Dakota is one of only four states I haven't been to. The other three are Delaware, Hawaii and New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Ever been to SoDak?
    ahhhhhh yup

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I also live off of KGB, near the Hay Flats, and had a Brownie with cubs in the yard 4 years ago. Likewise have seen black bears every Summer/Fall since moving there 13+ years ago. Have an old, non digital pic, of a lynx out back from '04, and cut it's tracks every Winter or two.
    Neighbors lost a pup to a coyote the year we moved in, and we see em infrequently around the area.....
    thats funny you say that hippie. I've got a lynx prowlin around here too. And I see yotes pretty often. There are a small pop of hares that live here. I see them all the time. Last fall I shot a ruffed grouse on my porch. Pretty neat. I think there is alot more wildlife than people realize around here.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast