Thread: RV.NET - Packing Fish Out of Alaska

The Peninsula, Kenai & Olympic

Default RV.NET - Packing Fish Out of Alaska

Just foerconversation, here is the link to a current thread on This has been debated before.

Question: If a visitor plans to spend the time and funds for two or three weeks of guided fishing for various species, and understands the daily limit and abides by it, is there a reason they should not take it home? The same question would apply to big game.

The cost of a license, guided fishing, processing and transport far exceeds the cost of just buying it in the local market, wherever that may be.

Example: Guided trout fishing on the upper Kenai.
    Example: Charter for Halibut, co$t of charter, filleting, freezing, transport.

The situation may be different for Reds, but the problem there from earlier threads may be there are too many of them anyway.

Good link, interesting to read. Nice to hear that people are willing to travel all the way up here for good ol' Sockeye. Listening to some, you'd think the only reason people pay to come to AK is to catch a Kenai King. Mark one more point for a diverse fishery!

As for taking home their catch - as you said they will spend a lot of money getting here, staying here, and paying for charters and fishing equipment. If I was them I would want to take as much home as possible. But I have to say that I've gone fishing in other states where you pay for the fishing experience, not the fish. You pay to go fishing, and then the charter operators sell the fish on the fresh market. Not suggesting that we should do that, just saying that some states do it different. I've seen the amount of fish that gets shipped out of AK in the summer, and it's pretty unbelievable. I tried to buy an insulated shipping box last July only to find 3 Bears sold out. The guy before me bought them all and PACKED an entire Suburban full. Many of the charter operations on the Kenai have full processing facilities complete with commercial vacuum packers and walk-in freezers.

As for saying its a good thing because there are too many Sockeye... I am a firm believer in science, so yes I believe that overescapement diminishes future returns becuase that's what the data and the biologists say. Using the inriver fishery to control escapement is dangerous from an environmental perspective. Too many boats and boots in the most confined and delicate ecosystem that our salmon spend the most vulnerable parts of their lives in.

Our salmon are a valuable resource. If I lived somewhere else, the fact that I could come here, go fishing, and take the fish home with me would definately help me decide to come here over somewhere else. But setting a reasonable limit on how much of our resource nonresidents can keep is not unreasonable. We could go two routes - seasonal limit for non-residents, or an exise tax on shipping fish out of state - something like the first box or X amount of pounds is free, and $X after that. People would still come here, and they'd pay it.

Interesting thoughts smithtb…

If today’s surplus is shipped away from Alaska by sportsmen from abroad or commercial fisherman (private or corporate) who benefits and who suffers? Having visited and taken fish and big game meat back home, I believe I was content with the experience and belief that I helped to sustain a local economy. I purchased groceries, lodging, fuel, F & G licenses, barber services, etc. for a family of four (4). Or a hard working commercial fisherman could have caught the salmon, shipped it to my local grocer and several middlemen long the way would receive compensation for processing, transportation, etc., thus not affecting the local Alaskan economy as greatly as a tourist would.