Thread: new boater...what do i need!!??

Default new boater...what do i need!!??

Looking into get a flat bottom 19' G3 with a 50hp prop...what do i need in or on the boat to be legal or are there any boating regulations i need to know about for lakes and rivers in south central ak?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yes the cost guard require some things cant think of everything BRWNBR I know Gary at greatland welding has the list also you can look it up on the net. Some of the thing are flares,life vest whistle,first aid kit and so on hope this helps have fun I love my boat
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Are you buying a new one from deweys? If so , they should fit it with everything you need.. the list is pretty extensive and adds up quick if you purchase each item individually..

For legality, you will need insurance and registration on the boat and the trailer..
    other things and im sure other can chime in are things such as:
    Lifejacket for everyone on board
    square life ring or floatatin device to throw
    whistle
    first aide kit
    fire extinguisher
    UHF radio
    GPS
    Flares x 3, not expired
    some sort of Bilge pump
    and a bunch of other misc things..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Ya I've been talking to Dewey's on their boat packages. Got the insurance stuff all figured out today and working on the other costs and unforeseens I am unaware of. Do all boats need a bilge pump? Or is the ol' pull the plug and drive still used? I've for a VHF radio how is that different than a UHF?
    Master guide 212

Deweys will get ya going with all the basics. A bilge pump might even come already installed. If it doesn't, it sure is a good thing to have. Pulling a plug on some of our rivers isn't that easy while running on step. Yes boaters use VHF. Get a good handheld. SIMRAD make some great ones. Waterproof and floating. I have a rechargeable model that even has GPS built in.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Go to the Coast Guard office get the list of required items, that will save you time and money! The list of things you will like to have will cost the most

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Check dates on all items requiring it. I went to buy some flares and they were only good for 6 months.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I've got a uiden VHF that works really well. I suppose that will work. Dewey's has a pretty inclusive pile of the requirements needed it sounds like.
    Anyone have experience with piranha props with the inter changeable blades?
    Master guide 212

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Last time I checked the CG makes the requirements, not the people selling the stuff to meet them. If money is not a problem buy all the stuff you want. I like a top of the line dry box to hold the Coast Guard required equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I've got a uiden VHF that works really well. I suppose that will work. Dewey's has a pretty inclusive pile of the requirements needed it sounds like.

1. Set up a boating fund. 2. Put money in boating fund. 3. Put more money in boating fund.
    Be safe. Use common sense. Have Fun.!!

It is the FEDERAL Small Boat Saftey Act of 1971 that lists the equipment required on boats.
    Here are the items as listed in my old copy of CHAPMAN PILOTING...

Life Jackets - You need a Class I, II or III for every person on board, and you need a type IV (throwable)
    (If you are boarded or checked by the USCG or State Troopers and have a cut, torn or damaged PFD, they can ticket you)
    Fire extinguishers are NOT required on any boat under 26 ft and powered by an outboard
    Whistle - Boats up to 39.4 ft (12M) require a device capable of making "an efficient sound signal" audible 1/2 mile away
    Bell - boats up to 39.4 ft require any device capable of making "an efficient sound signal"
    Backfire Flame Arrestor (not required on outboards)
    Visual Distress Signals - 3 flares but there is a garbled list of alternatives.
    There is no Federal requirement for a GPS, UHF or VHF Radio (but a VHF is nice to have) (UHF if you want to talk to Airplanes)
    There is no Federal requirement for first aide kit (but they are very nice to have)
    Bilge pumps - kind of a personal preference thing.

Jake all the "requirements" aside I almost always treat it like when we get dropped out of a plane and at the very least have some sort of emergency gear on the off chance you have to spend the night out...especially with the kids. Dont need much or anything too bulky just little shelter,fire starter stuff,emergency blankets or something,and I always have a few freeze dried stashed on the boat with my little sheep stove...

ya i figured there was practical alaska gear to have like you said bear, mostly don't know about any legal stuff i have to have or the like....this has been an informative thread.
    Master guide 212

Check out this link, it gives you a test of sorts to see what you have and then tells you what you would need for whatever boat you have.

http://vdept.cgaux.org/vve/launch.htm
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Those are good links for info. Short list.
    Life jacket for everyone aboard. Wearing or not. Kids under 13 must wear at ALL times
    Registration. Decals on boat plus paper registration. Make copy & keep at home in case you lose original
    Whistle or horn
    Flares that aren't outdated or other visual distress signal that meets requirents
    Looks like fire extinguisher
    I don't think the state requirements add anything over the federal
    The rest is whatever makes you feel comfortable. Kitchen sink if you want
    Enjoy your new boat !!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Jake,
    I have run Pirahna props, they are cheap and easy to replace blades on. Really nice to swap pitch's on when the load changes.
    That said, I have only run them on a boat down in Oregon that was mainly used on lakes or the coastal waters. We switched the blades according to our load (water skiing or crabbing).
    Not sure how they would hold up in our silty rivers if thats your question. If your running lakes and ocean, it's worthy.
    pirahnaprop on this forum is a local dealer I think.....
    BK

thanks bk, i doubt i'll be in much silt....not till i get a dent in my new boat and adventurous....
    Master guide 212

If you are running rivers save the plastic prop for a spare and go aluminum. My first time on the Kenai in known waters I killed a Pro-Pulse prop. Also, go for an aluminum that will get you the best hole shot if you spend most of your time on the rivers. The plastic will work great in salt water when you will likely be a bit heavier and want to attain more speed for longer travels.

State of Alaska Boating Requirements...

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/pdf/boatrequire.pdf

Don't forget that inflatable PFDs don't count unless they are worn.
    Coasties will want to see a bailing device such as a bucket, manual pump, or electric pump.
    Be sure when purchasing #s for your hull registration that the numerals/letters are at least 3"s tall and a contrasting color to the hull.
    As mentioned keep a dry box for all of your safety stuff just in case you end up in the water...if you make to shore with a radio, flares, knife/gun, fire starter, space blankets and such, you will be a much happier survivor.

I failed an inspection with the Coast Guard for not having an anchor light. So plan to do the navigation/anchor lighting as well.

Most of all, use your head, give others some room, be safe, and enjoy the new ride!!!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff