Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Surfcast thread.

Default 2013 Surfcast thread.

So I have recieved a couple of Pm's lately regarding surfcast fishing. I know there are some forum members on here much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. I figured we should start a new thread on this topic.
    Locations,gear,bait basically anything related to surfcasting would be good to post up here.

So here is my setup.
    I have two surfcast poles one is a 15' ugly stick with a Penn Fierce 8000 spinning reel spooled with braided 60# line on it. My other rod is a 12' alvey surfcast rod with an Alvey 550C5 side cast reel on it and the same braid. I was going to use 40# but decided to buy a bigger spool of the 60# just in case I hook something big and I also have more abrasion resistance rolling around in the surf ,sand, and rocks.
    You can easily use a salmon rod or even a Halibut rod and do just fine. I got a good deal on the surfcast rod and reel so that why I have that one. The Alvey I bought on a whim just to try.
    I made a couple of rod holders by using hose clamps to secure some 2" PVC to the tops of some short metal fence posts. Leave the posts sticking up a bit higher than the PVC so you have something to hamer on to pound the rod holder into the sand.
    You don't need rod holders but it is nice to have and keeps your rods secured when you need to use the bathroom or eat a sandwhich or whatever. Most reels don't like the sand so you want to keep them out of it. The Alvey reels really don't care and can be rinsed out in the surf and put back to use right away but I still like to keep them out of the sand anyway.
    My set ups include using some monofilament leader line in 40# tied singly or in tandem using a salmon egg loop knot. I like to use 5/0 -9/0 circle hooks but also keep a few J hook setups handy as well. These I secure around a chunk of the foam Pool noodle kids toys.
    I put a sinker slide on my line then add a quality swivel. I then tie my leader setup to the swivel.
    For The sinkers I have found the storm sinkers in 4oz-8oz to work the best for me. I also have tried the Hilts Claw sinkers but preffer the storm sinkers. You won't find these in most Alaska stores so I mold my own.
    If I were to use store bought sinkers I would use pyramid sinkers. Whatever kind you use you do not want it to roll on the bottom.
    Now for bait I usually pack along a gallon bag of Hooligan. They are cheap and seem to work fairly well.
    Herring works Ok but can be a bit soft. Using chunks of inedible parts of other fish such as Salmon and Halibut can work great.
    Especially fishing the end of the Homer spit. Sort of matching the hatch. If they are pumping out salmon guts then that is a good bait to use same with halibut,cod etc.
    I have caught Halibut and all manner of other saltwater fish off of the end of the Homer spit by the ferry dock.
    I have also caught fish off the Kenai beach. This year I am going to try the Kasilof beach off of Coho loop.
    I have heard whisky gulch can be good too.
    I think my first trip will be May first to the Kenai beach and I will try and post up some pics afterwards.
    Any one else have something to add please do so. Tell us what you use or where you have fished.
    If you have some advice or pics post them up.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default beach fishin

beach fishin.JPGMy wife, a friend and myself went out Sunday for the first go of the year. Perfect sky and seas. Enjoyed a good sunset but no fish and no bites at my regular spot. The beach structure has not leveled out this spring yet due to so much bluff erosion this winter. My spot had much rock and gravel in it yet. Normally it would be a sandy flat. I'm sure it will go back to normal after a few weeks of ripping tides.
    I have a couple Okuma 12 ft Tundra surf rods and reels. White rods w. blue wraps and labelling. I went with the 12 ft (over 14) cuz I have a 6 ft pickup bed and wanted to be able to always carry them w me in the bed of the p/u. They are a pretty stout rod and can toss some pretty good wt. The Okumas are ok but after a couple seasons the tips corrode and come apart. I changed one last yr and now Sunday I noticed the other is ready for replacement. I think I have 35 lb test braid on my Okuma reels.
    My first cast of the season Sunday I was reminded of things early in the season that need tending to. I cast hook line and sinker to the sea.....except my line parted. Always cut your first 5-10 ft of line off the end of your reel at the start of the season or make sure its good line. I'll retrieve my parts on a low tide if still there.
    I also have another 12 ft rod that is much springier and I like it better. It was bought at a good sale clearance price at Freddies. It has an Avenger 80 reel on it and 35 lb braid line. Its lighter and I like fighting the fish on it more than the stout Okumas. It will also still toss the bait and sinkers good.
    Sometimes for butts I also will use a 10 ft med heavy Lamiglass that has a nice Penn Battle reel on it. I try to keep that with me on the beach in case I see kings rolling. Its great for tossing Krokadiles at them, so I like to keep it with me and still works for a backup butt rod.
    Pyramid sinkers in 5 and 6 oz are mostly used. However, if its a big tide and I'm set up early I use my 8 oz. pyramids. At slack tide you can get by with a two oz pyramid if you want.
    I fish herring. Green label on a double hook setup. 4/0 -5/0 works good for that. I also use halibut bait herring cut up in 3 inch slabs on 9/0 - 10/0 double hook setup. If they steal one they still have another chance to meet me.
    I have a sliding sinker setup and like to put a corkie or colored float on the line just above the bait to give it some visual attraction and maybe hold it just a bit off bottom.
    All that being said, I first started catching butts from shore with a regular 6 ft spinning reel and 12-14 lb test mono. As much sinker as I could stand throwing and a 30- 40 yard toss. After catching a few that way I figured I'ld do better with better gear. That is maybe somewhat true. But dont let lack of surf gear deter you. You dont need it.
    I expect I'll be posting a catch real soon. Tight lines...........
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Haven't had much success so far but I will be doing a bit more surf fishing this season.

I have a 12ft ocean master that I pair up with either a Penn 750ssm or a 950ss.
    It's heavy but works well for bait and wait.

I get bored just waiting sometimes so like cod, I have a light back up rod with a heavy Kroc at the end of the line.

Have you had much luck with the kings using Krocs Cod? Always wanted to get a king on a spoon.

Im thinking of tossing the Kroc with a some herring/gulp on the hook and doing a slow retrieve along the bottom so see if I get more action than just waiting. Maybe bouncing it off the bottom like I did with bucktails when I used to fish out east.

I'll be doing this year's first surf fishing trip around April 25th.

Good luck everyone.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

I get bored just waiting sometimes so like cod, I have a light back up rod with a heavy Kroc at the end of the line.
    Have you had much luck with the kings using Krocs Cod? Always wanted to get a king on a spoon.
    I landed one king from the beach with a Kroc. I landed another king with halibut gear and lost 2 other kings on halibut rigging. I have landed several dollies from the beach casting Krocs while trying for kings. I know a guy who fishes them in a particular place that does REAL GOOD for kings with em. In fact, he has landed a 70 lber from the beach. He goes home if he doesnt have one in 30 minutes.
    By the way, the last few times I was at whiskey gulch beach we did well in yrs past. I think it may be a sleeper beach. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I landed one king from the beach with a Kroc. I landed another king with halibut gear and lost 2 other kings on halibut rigging. I have landed several dollies from the beach casting Krocs while trying for kings. I know a guy who fishes them in a particular place that does REAL GOOD for kings with em. In fact, he has landed a 70 lber from the beach. He goes home if he doesnt have one in 30 minutes.
    By the way, the last few times I was at whiskey gulch beach we did well in yrs past. I think it may be a sleeper beach. Try it out.
    Hi Cod,
    I've been to whiskey Gulch several times in 2011 but kept getting those bucket mouthes. I caught so many that the worms on their tongues don't even disgust me any more . But you mean you did well for Kings or Halibut?

I mostly tried soaking bait over there. I did catch a 4lb halibut there. 4 as in, four.
    I think I also had a bigger one on for a few seconds but it got off the hook. I felt a lot heavier than a bucket mouth, but I don't know. I could have been anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi Cod,
    I've been to whiskey Gulch several times in 2011 but kept getting those bucket mouthes. I caught so many that the worms on their tongues don't even disgust me any more . But you mean you did well for Kings or Halibut?
    Sorry, my bad. To clarify, I meant to say for butts. I met up w another military forum family and friends and got them into a few. So I went down a couple more times w the wife and scored each time.
    Go down the hill, turn left and go down the beach 50-100 yards and throw out. It worked for us.
    In rereading my other post I noticed I forgot the 12 ft "springier" rod brand. It was a "Black Beauty", for what it's worth.
    I'll try and get some good iPhone pics of rigging this spring to post on this thread.
    Thanks for starting this thread, KK.

I figured since the questions were starting to come in we needed a thread for people to read and learn from without having a million people asking the same things.
    Hopefully I can get some more surfcast sinkers made and get out and catch some fish off the beach this next time home.Couldn't seem to find the storm sinkers I made last year.
    It sure is a lot of fun. No boat required either.
    I hope everybody has a good summer and catches a lot of fish off our beautiful beaches this summer.

great thread have to watch this one.. Its very sad on my part anyway but I brought up a surfpole from back east over 15 years ago thinking it would be possible to catch halibut and such from the beach and have yet to use it.. Reading this thread may be the kick in the arse I need to get out there...

Default More incentive...

Here's what you're after, Bear!edit butt.jpgpics more 013.jpg

Surfcasting on the Kenai Peninsula is a great. Lounging on the beach in a folding chair, watching the little ones run around with the dogs, talking to other fisherman (but not overly crowded because you will need at least 25 ft between each rod if there are more than two fishermen so you do not tangle every retrieval in a current) and of course catching fish that would have cost you a minimum of $60 a fish (half day charter plus tip).

Every fisherman here already has appropriate gear to catch a fish or two, and can upgrade at their own pace. A couple of days last year our 15ft Whuppin' Sticks were going head to head with a couple guys next to us fishing 6.5ft spinning reels. You do not need to get out their 100yds to catch fish, even as close as 15yds will produce shore hugging halibut. What does seem to make a significant difference is what tide you are fishing.

High slack tide has proven to be the peak halibut fishing time from shore. An hour before and an hour and a half after are similarly great times. One thing you will have to get over is the notion that halibut find the deepest spots along the shore and that fishing the shallows (under 10ft, as the tide dictates) will not produce. We successfully pulled out halibut (singular) in as little as 4ft of water four hours after high tide, with that said 15ft-25ft of water around high tide is more productive.

Some easy spots to access for fishing are the Kenai River mouth (north side), Kasilof River mouth (south side), Clam Gulch (though I have not caught any halibut there yet), Ninilchik beach, Whiskey Gulch, Anchor River mouth (south side), and I guess I should mention Land's End out the end of the Homer Spit but I've fished there a lot only caught one 1/2lb halibut (great place for kids to catch cod on every cast at low tide though, try a pixie you won't have to rebait every 5 seconds and it is more fun to feel the hit).

When rigging up stay away from circle hooks as a rule, though they will work (and once you do hook one with a circle hook it almost never comes off) they seem to prefer vertical pressure like you would see on a boat and the horizontal pressure exerted from shore fishing more often than not pulls the hook out of their mouth. Many people have great success with circle hooks shorecasting, but in my opinion a pair of J Hooks set a hook shank length apart is the best medicine. After some experimenting we found that a 10/0 J hook at the end of the line with a 7/0 ahead of it worked the best.

Now for how to hook a nibbling halibut. The halibut seem to take their time when biting your bait and will initially hold it in their mouth in a position where your hook set rips the bait off and does not hook the halibut. These tentative halibut require a little slack and at least a 5 second count before they can be successfully hooked many times. So stand up, pick up your poll from the rod holder (pvc pipe, two clamps, and some rust resistant metal rod, you won't want to hold it the whole time) aim the tip at the fish take a step forward and wait for a more aggressive pull then hook 'um. Sometimes, like all fish, they head at you, so if you don't feel them any more reel like the dickens till the slack is gone then set the hook.

Like others have said a pyramid weight is much better than a ball weight as they do not tend to roll as much. 6-8oz should work. And make sure you have a slide attached to the weight, this will make the light hits much more noticeable, unless there's tons of wind or high current and a rocky bottom, in which case you can just get used to hook setting the water a bunch after imaginary fish hits.

As for bait, start with herring but don't be afraid to try other stuff because there are much better attractants out there, if you want to know what I use pm me.

And Soda it sounds like you hooked yourself a skate... so much fun to catch even if they are not what your going after.

Hope this helps guys and gals and I look forward to seeing you out there. The way I see it there is enough beach and halibut for all of us and if more people get into it then maybe Sportsman's Warehouse and others outfitters will find it worth the shelving space to carry a better selection.

Good luck to all of you.

Great thread Kasilofchrisn..
    I have caught some kings beach casting, Happy valley and Twin Falls..
    My first was a 43# on 14lb test,,1 1/2 kroc,,same thing I used pier casting in Wi..
    I never tried the butt from the beach thing,,this is the year!!

I am in Ninilchik,, if any of you folk are headed down this way,,speak up..rw

Great thread, I have asked this question in my own thread a few days ago and got some good advice. I think I am going to have to get me a surf pole and try a couple of my longer salmon poles. I just got stationed here in Aug and never made it down to the salt water yet. I have a three day weekend and am itching to go fishing. Has anyone been catching anything yet this year or is it still to early. I really want to go give it a shot but have know idea where to go this time of the year. I called down to a bait shop in Homer and he said nobody has been catching anything off the spit yet.

awhx4, I was at the spit in March and caught one flounder and fished for 3 hours. Not much action, come early may does the action heat up?

When you talk about surf casting for kings, are you throwing out bait and letting it sit or throwing out lures and reeling them in?

I have no idea, I have never done it. I think it would be better for me to use bait and letting it sit. But not sure what kind of bait either. The guy at the bait shop in Homer said the same thing, to wait till the beginning of may. He also said the grinders were not operating either so it wasn't attracting any fish

Quote Originally Posted by r dubya View Post
    Great thread Kasilofchrisn..
    I have caught some kings beach casting, Happy valley and Twin Falls..
    My first was a 43# on 14lb test,,1 1/2 kroc,,same thing I used pier casting in Wi..
    I never tried the butt from the beach thing,,this is the year!!

I am in Ninilchik,, if any of you folk are headed down this way,,speak up..rw
    Never been to Happy Valley but a friend from a few years back said he had some luck there for Kings.
    Is there easy access? I'd like to try for a king from the beach. I'm sure it would take a lot of hours but its something to do in early May.

AWHX4 - You can use several different baits depending on what you're fishing for.
    At the end of the spit, if you're fishing for cod, pollack or flounder, you can use anything. Squid, octopus, herring, salmon guts etc. I think someone on here wrote he used small chunks of pork chops. Im sure that would work.
    For halibut, I think you could use the same bait, just larger. Well, maybe not the pork chops but who knows.
    For Kings, I think the herring is the only bait I would use but I don't really know much about king fishing.

I also got a good deal on gulp! herring last year, so I try to leave a chunk of that stuff whenever Im tossing bait out in case a fish takes my natural bait.

Great thread. Any of you folks surf cast in Seward?

Seems like it would be a little harder to find the bottom over on the PWS side. I've wondered about trying though.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I've heard of people surf casting from Seward and Whittier for halibut. I was interested in doing this, but didn't know where to go.

Since I was at the Kenai beach for another function last night I decided to bring along my rods and some bait to give the surfcasting a try.
    Only fished for an hour or so. No bites. I did have fun though and met some nice people.
    I also realized my surfcasting was a bit rusty. The storm sinkers I cast did well though and I am liking them a lot. Better than a standard pyramid in my opinion.
    I am guessing it is still a bit early for any serious action.

Im heading down next week to give it a go. Its gotta be better than sitting inside. Hopefully we will see some action.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast