Thread: Warning...........................

Default Warning...........................

Nothing illuminating about that article. There are numeous things that create white smoke including various hydrocarbons of the petroleum kind if the ignition source is weak, or in the case of stop action photography, have yet to ignite. I am not a munitions expert by any means, but I seem to recall that diesel fuel and fertilizer is more destructive than black powder pound for pound, it is also much more common. The ploys mentioned in the article are old news as well.

The one thing I learned is that they choose to delete anti 2A rhetoric in the comments section.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Nothing illuminating about that article. There are numeous things that create white smoke including various hydrocarbons of the petroleum kind if the ignition source is weak, or in the case of stop action photography, have yet to ignite. I am not a munitions expert by any means, but I seem to recall that diesel fuel and fertilizer is more destructive than black powder pound for pound, it is also much more common. The ploys mentioned in the article are old news as well.
    The one thing I learned is that they choose to delete anti 2A rhetoric in the comments section.
    This is correct. Though the slightly orange flash and voluminous smoke, plus the sound and lack of distance, this was not a high-explosive used.

Many articles floating around right now about blackpowder/gunpowder, components ect. Even if it is something more exotic and has nothing to do with reloading powders, look for future restrictions/permits to buy ect.

One talking head show actually was telling the truth last night, "anyone could build one of these". Though the talking head in Boston tried to hype his spiel up by calling pressure-cookers "devices" and acting like they were some sort of esoteric appliance that very few would know about, let alone know how to use. His part was pure shlock. But the other two guys were spot on.

Truly low-tech would not need a primary (blasting cap), only an ignition source. ANFO needs to be mixed correctly and also needs a primary.

Smokeless powder, even if used improperly (filling the container, not leaving an airspace), would not have left such a large cloud. Blackpowder would have left a large cloud, but note there was very little carbon on the leftover pieces of pot photographed.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...