Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy gear?

Default Where to buy gear?

Will be arriving in Anchorage June 27 for two weeks of fishing on the kenai peninsula we are wondering if we should try and buy our gear in Texas before we leave or would it be better to buy it in Anchorage and if so where to go to buy it ie boots waders raingear etc

thanks for all your help

Mike

For boots, waders, and raingear, I doubt it makes any difference where you buy it. For tackle and fishing gear, though, buying it in Alaska will give you a better idea of what kind of stuff you'll actually use.

There are a couple of local shops like B&J Commercial and Mountain View Sports. The folks there will have more fishing advice & tips for you than at Wal-Mart or Sportsman's Warehouse. Bottom line, though, there are decent prices and lots to choose from in Anchorage.

On the Kenai, I go to Ken's in Soldotna when I lose all the stuff I brought with me and need to restock. They know where to go and what's working, too.

buy gear in alaska. it's less of a hassle, and the employees will be able to direct you to what you need much better due to their local knowledge. you can stop at sportsman's warehouse on your way out of anchorage, and trustworthy hardware and fishing is the place to go in soldotna.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Pick it up here for two reasons. One, the best way to "enjoy" air travel is to take as little stuff as possible, preferably carry.

Two, you can get exactly what you need here with expert friendly advice. I'd also echo B&J commercial, Mountain Sports, and Sportsman's warehouse, though the advice at Sportsman's is hit and miss.

B&J on the conner or C and Fireweed.

Sportmans' warehouse Diamond blvd and old seward.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Fishing Gear

Buy your gear in Soldotna on the Kenai River. Good bargains at Fred Meyer, and Trustworthy Hardware. I am like a kid in a candy store when I go in those places. Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage is a good place too.

Default Thanks

Thank you guys for all your info This forum is awesome !!

I really like Eagle River's Boondock's sale prices. Their regular prices seem okay to so-so. The sale prices are where it's at. And every time I've been in there they had tons of tips, jokes, and were very helpful!

+1 on B&J's. Those guy s will set you up with the right stuff and point you in the right direction. Just don't expect them to tell you where any honey holes are. That you'll have to figure out the hard way.
    Good luck!

Default Trustworthy Hardware

In soldotna is pretty hard to beat price wise. B & J is good but pricey sometimes.

Default Good Sport

"Be a good sportsman and buy local. Support the community for which you take from".......Elmer Clavell 1935-2002 (my dad and best freind)

Default get your gear here

Either the Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage or Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna. Over all cheapest place I have found with a good variety. Ask a lot of questions. Welcome and have fun!

Are you active duty military or retired military, Mike? If so, you can rent just about everything you need at Outdoor Recreation on Elmendorf AFB.

Default nope

Not a vet married in Kodiak in 1975 left Alaska in 1977 really a dumb move have not been back Really looking forward to this trip I can't imagine how different things will be Thanks for all the help

Gotta second the motion for Trustworthy... one stop shopping for EVERYTHING you need to outfit your KP fishing adventures.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default No Doubt about it!

If you are looking for quality gear, HUGE selection, absolutely best prices, you have to go to Trustworthy Hardward and Fishing in Soldotna. They are the #1 dealer for G-Loomis and Lamiglas rods! The savings you get for rods in Soldotna will more than pay for your gas from Anchorage (for complete outfits that is... last year up to $40 difference per rod from Sportsmans... in fact, even the crew at Sportsmans say that they cannot compete with Trustworthy!).

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    If you are looking for quality gear, HUGE selection, absolutely best prices, you have to go to Trustworthy Hardward and Fishing in Soldotna. They are the #1 dealer for G-Loomis and Lamiglas rods! The savings you get for rods in Soldotna will more than pay for your gas from Anchorage (for complete outfits that is... last year up to $40 difference per rod from Sportsmans... in fact, even the crew at Sportsmans say that they cannot compete with Trustworthy!).
    I call BS on that one. Both loomis and Lami have set pricing that No dealer can undersell another. You pay the same price from Cabelas, Sportsmans, Trustworthy or Mountain View.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Builder View Post
    I call BS on that one. Both loomis and Lami have set pricing that No dealer can undersell another. You pay the same price from Cabelas, Sportsmans, Trustworthy or Mountain View.
    Not exactly, from what I understand Loomis does set the prices, however Trustworthy takes used but usable rods of any value in trade for a $50 credit towards the purchase of a Loomis rod. Don't quote me on this part but the trade in rods are donated to less fortunate kids to promote fishing to youth or something to that effect. Therefore they do have the best price on Loomis rods anywhere. BTW I have traded in old rods (multiple) myself. I forgot to mention that they do have some good deals on reels and they used to be the cheapest place to get FishOn rod holders by quite a bit. Every time I go south, I do my best to stop in there as it seems I never have enough fishing gear.

Talking Yah what they said

I have to say get it here you will have a much easier time. Too many times I've seen people break their gear from home that just dont stand up to the mighty kings.
    Last edited by wild4ak; 05-16-2007 at 05:20. Reason: crappy typing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast