Thread: Mosin Nagant adnausum.....

Default Mosin Nagant adnausum.....

Only accurate rifles are interesting, aint they?

The wife and I have been at our doings, and shes been doing the shooting.
    She put her PU to the test, Head shots on Arctic Jacks at 300 yards all the do da day........

Seals are on her mind, we saw one up, but unfortuanatly only 500 yards out from the sons house,, lying on the sea ice, but bad form for shooting so close near the village, as bullets that hit or miss on ice often ricochet, so I watched her shake he head and laugh....maby a buncha PU Seal's soon though, the weathers getting mucho better.....or a Brown Bear, as we cut tracks on a big ol Fat One a week back ina warm spell,, so who knows.....and some more Caribou before its all done.
    Shes actually shot quite a few Caribou as of recent, we butcherd and divvied with the oldest son, though we could use some more for drying while the suns up 19 hours and the weather breezy and in the mid teens, and no flys, so perfect drying weather for sure....

She caught this guy with her M-39 and over open sights, a perfect shot up the pazzuza!
    I dont think she has a preference yet, but time will tell.

The oldest Son, who hunted with us and split the chores and butchering with me, uses a Mosin himself. We Hunted/Trapped the mountains from his sea side village among the WACH Caribou herd and on repair/bad weather days, we hung with the grand kids, in all for a couple three weeks...and I got no Wolverine....and theres very few Rabbits down yonder.....

Our yesterday, the wife towing her light 440 ride and sled with a spare ride, with her locking guncase tarped up and a frozen trapped Fox I didnt have time to thaw bungied down on that. My ride had two sledswere one with gear, fur, poles and meats, the second had only gas. Took 6 hours to get home, but 130 miles on a fairly smooth trail aint so bad, consittering we huged the coast and made great time doing so. Lotta Caribou headed our way from those southern shors, looks like the spring Caribou migration is forming up........well make our meats closer to home, but the son has plenty to dry for spring, I'll vid that and post, hopefully soon, before were busy again.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Awesome! Good one on the wolf.

Post some pics when you get that rust bucket of a Mosin of mine up there. Wow. Really, I mean it, Wow.

Spent some time in Deering, eh?
    I wouldn't get too happy about those arctic hare head shots. You lost 40 or 50 bucks on the skull sale. Arctic hare skulls are hard to come by for skull collectors.
    Get your wolves while the season is open!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mosins are cheap, rugged, and lethal. Ammo plentiful. They are the SKS's of the decade.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Shuks, MT, if only .....a couple hundred bucks would have made lowering the sights a bit more easy on the trigger puller....though the one pictured, may be OK, with his neck bone no longer connected to the head bone......

Shes useing the same M-39 Mosin for the last 10 or so years, but the PU scoped Mosin is a new endevor, as its her only scoped rifle. Shes getting used to it, very well allright, but her skills with open sights have always been equal to or better than mine, since I ever met her.

The sun makes for some fun times and some long hard days,enjoy both.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I had the Finnish version in 7.62x54R but the sucker weighed 10 pounds. It could drive tacks and lineage was from the Sakko family. Regret selling the 50 dollar rifle for 100 dollars fifteen years ago.

Love the pictures and story stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    neck bone no longer connected to the head bone
    Awwww, now you're going to restart the debate about neck shots being ethical..... ;-) Good way to do so though, at 300 yards at a hare. Pretty incredible shooting, almost like you up there do it "for a living". (hehe, couldn't help it)

Well, you have the coolest wife ever stranger!

Shooting out the neck bone is the most ethical way, 'cept through the head bone and brains might be same same......same difference , anyway........

The wife's Finn M-39Mosin is Valmet made, and the weight is a big help in dampening recoil and the sights are near perfect. As long as its a spot on shooter, she'll lump the extra weight, no problemo. Besides being cool, that woman is strong. Im sure you caught on to that as well, Roust.
    You'll get to see the Wolf hunt soon enough

Hats off... I love my mosins to.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Good stuff Chip! Glad to see the bearcat getting some use this winter. Sure wish I was riding it with ya.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Great to see you all out and about, Chip. Favorite time of the year with the daylight and warmer temps and no bugs. Good stuff indeed!

You've inspired me to get mine out and let my fiance shoot it. I picked up some Winchester 180gr. soft points, we'll see what she thinks. If she likes it she's going to go sit in a stand in a few weeks! Thanks!!!

I think everyone on this site envies you and your family!! Miss you dude!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Nice to see someone else who enjoys hunting with milsurps. For anyone interested smith-sights makes a rigby style peepsight for mosin nagants if you prefer open sights and it doesn't alter the rifle either.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................