Thread: Varget...

Default Varget...

... anywhere? My .308 and .303 just love Varget and they hate TAC!

If I had some Varget, I'd gladly trade you for some TAC!! My 308 loves TAC with 130 grain bullets...

If you can't find Varget but can find RL15 I've found RL15 is a grain for grain replacement and I've used it in over 1/2 dozen different chamberings from the .243 to the .458 lott and many in between.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If you can't find Varget but can find RL15 I've found RL15 is a grain for grain replacement and I've used it in over 1/2 dozen different chamberings from the .243 to the .458 lott and many in between.
    Thanks Paul. I did not know that... and I do have some RL15.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    If I had some Varget, I'd gladly trade you for some TAC!! My 308 loves TAC with 130 grain bullets...
    My .308 loves Varget with 165 gr. Sierra Game king HPBTs (which are very hard to get now days as well).

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My .308 loves Varget with 165 gr. Sierra Game king HPBTs (which are very hard to get now days as well).
    Funny you mention those, I had two boxes of those very same bullets in my hands (at two different stores) and walked out empty handed for some reason...I wasnt sure, based on what I've read, that the SGK's were that great of a hunting bullet. Sounds like alot of you guys like them though...

I think there are a lot of us looking for Varget. It is my go to powder for the 30-06 and my 22-250.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Definately work up loads but off the top of my head I've gotten excellent accuracy and near identical velocity with Varget and RL15 in the .223, 6.5 gr, .243, .308, 35 whelen AI, 350 rigby, 350 rem mag, and the 458 lott.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

That Reloader 15 is really some nice powder. I tested some with some 125 noslers the other night and they were phenominal. No chrono, but the groups were really nice.

Have any of you guys shot 150 gr Scirocco II's in your 308's?

Accuracy???...terminal effects???? I picked up a few to try and maybe use as caribou or sheep ammo, but after doing some internet sleuthing, I'm wondering if I should stick with partitions...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I agree with Paul in the similarity of Varget and RL-15, and they are both extruded powders that are both temperature tolerant, although I've not swapped powders grain for grain in a load (I'm too conservative to do that so I stick with published loads, but I'm glad Paul has shared his experience with us). Looking at powder burn rate tables can be helpful when comparing powders and looking for alternates powders and then seeking load data for them. Here's one I use, but it is a bit dated and doesn't have some of the newer powders.
    http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Great northern guns had varget on Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Great northern guns had varget on Thursday
    Hey man dont be telling them where my stash is, now I have to go buy all of it
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson