Thread: lack of "normal" rimfire ammo results in...

Default lack of "normal" rimfire ammo results in...

So I've been pretty bored lately, having been unable to enjoy affordable rimfire plinking since folks are hoarding ammo.

What then, does a firearms aficionado do with himself to pass the time until someone with common sense once again fills the seat in the oval office?

I searched the shelves at many gun stores, and found only .22 LR shot shells, so I moved on..... wait... Hmm... Those might be fun! So I bought a couple of boxes, and here are the results.

The first pic is the two weapons used in this comparison, complete with the ammo used and targets. The second pic is the tightest pattern, awarded to the Marlin rifle. The third shot is is a bit fuzzy, but shows the pattern produced by the NAA mini - revolver.

Hide your pet bull frogs and butterflies folks, this ammo will revolutionize the sub - compact game industry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Only two files per post, so here's the third. They are all out of order now. The tightest group is obviously from the rifle. Don't fire an NAA mini with shot - shells if someone you care about is standing next to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Shoot too much of that stuff in a rifled barrel and it well wreak havoc with the rifling. It's okay as an occasional thing (snakes and such) but not as regular fodder.

I've heard that before. Makes me wonder why they still make .22 shot shells. Unless I'm mistaken, nobody makes a smooth - bore .22 anymore. Not to worry - this was a novelty and my guns won't be worn out with shotshells.

Ammo Can on spenard has/had aquila .22 with no powder, just primer fired, $30 I think they were for a box of maybe 500? Not sure any more, was last week, thought I was gonna score, but noooooooooooooooooooooo!

I use them in my Single Six on carpenter bees flying around wreaking havoc on my deck. Just don't shoot them at close range ON the deck unless you don't mind looking at a 1.5" circle of splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I use them in my Single Six on carpenter bees flying around wreaking havoc on my deck. Just don't shoot them at close range ON the deck unless you don't mind looking at a 1.5" circle of splinters.
    LOL, I'm guessing that warning is the result of personal experience. I hope you got the deck repaired.

Shoot as many as you want to in your rimfires, soft lead #12 shot isn't going to damage the rifling. Think lead hacksaw versus steel pipe.

My 81 yr old grandmother uses those .22 shotshells to deadly effect on bird feed raiding red squirrels. She lies in wait for them in the back yard and takes them out one at at time. .22 revolver at about 20 ft and she never needs a second shot.

As for me, the .22 hoarding has caused me to dig through my stash of stuff until I found a bulk box of cast .38 bullets and a lb of Red Dot, both bought WAY back in the day (Bush's second term ) when such things were affordable. Was given an older 3" barrel S&W 60 .38 spl with target sights, so I've been burning .38 loads for my plinking.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    My 81 yr old grandmother uses those .22 shotshells to deadly effect on bird feed raiding red squirrels. She lies in wait for them in the back yard and takes them out one at at time. .22 revolver at about 20 ft and she never needs a second shot.

As for me, the .22 hoarding has caused me to dig through my stash of stuff until I found a bulk box of cast .38 bullets and a lb of Red Dot, both bought WAY back in the day (Bush's second term ) when such things were affordable. Was given an older 3" barrel S&W 60 .38 spl with target sights, so I've been burning .38 loads for my plinking.

Yk
    Unfortunately for me, I have to drive quite a ways to get to a place where I can get away with shooting anything other than an air gun or .22 shotshells, so I haven't done a lot of shooting lately. My priority for my next home purchase will be that I can walk out my back door and shoot the biggest gun I own without making the neighbors nervous.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Shoot as many as you want to in your rimfires, soft lead #12 shot isn't going to damage the rifling. Think lead hacksaw versus steel pipe.
    agreed... cant imagine how dead soft 12 shot is going to have any effect on a steel barrel..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    agreed... cant imagine how dead soft 12 shot is going to have any effect on a steel barrel..
    I agree that lead shot wouldn't stand a chance against a steel barrel, but the fact that I've seen the warning in print so many times suggests there may be something to it.

Here's my two possible theories:

1 - Maybe ammo manufacturers used (or possibly still use) steel shot for rimfire shotshells, because it is lighter and it's easier to push to acceptable velocities in such a small cartridge.

2 - Maybe the "barrel damage" is actually lead fouling, from tiny lead pellets, causing a noticeable drop in accuracy when switching from shotshells to conventional .22 ammo.

Aksoldier got it right in number two. The barrel damage is to the accuracy degredation due to lead build up in the rifling. Some have equated that to a damaged unrepairable barrel, which is not the case, just takes a cleaning.