Thread: Aniak

Default Aniak

I am going to be in Aniak the last 2 weeks of may. Will there be much to fish for that time of year? I doubt I will have acess to a boat but should have a truck. I am trying to figure out what equipment I will want to take.

We had a bit of an early break up out here this year so the fish might be running then, but usually they start mid june arriving here.

If you don't have a boat, the only shore fishing is available. A truck will get you around town but that is all. You can't drive anywhere else to find a fishing spot. The guides are back in town and starting to get ramped up for the summer. I don't know how much they charge but there is pike and trout up the Aniak River.

Where are you staying in town?

Maybe buy or rent an inflatable kayak.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I am not sure exactly where but I know that housing will be provided. the trip is work related and I was hoping to find some fishing in the evenings and on sundays.

If you are only going to be around Anaik, the fishing will be sparse. There are sheefish out but they need a set net to catch them. You may see the beginning of the salmon runs, but it will be chums, kings, and a few reds. They don't really hit bait. When the silvers come up, that is when the rod and reel action heats up on the beach.

Sorry to disapoint you, but there probably won't be much for quick fishing this time of year. Now if you hunt ducks or geese, they are just starting to show up at the gravel pit.

thank you
    I guess I need to make friends with someone out there.