Thread: Elfin cove kings

Default Elfin cove kings

Just wondering if any of you old salt dogs could give me some tips on what kind of bait/ lures tend to work around elfin cove area? Have a trip planned for the end of may/ first week in June . Any tips would be great as it will be my first time fishing salmon in the salt unless you count Skagway/hains a few times a year with out a single bite lol

A red sided flasher, about 6 feet of leader, and a small herring with 2 hooks in it. slow spin, hope you have down riggers, set one at about 80 to 90 feet. and the other one at 40 to 50 feet. go in and out of the little inlets, over by Soapstone, then go up Lazanskie inlet towards Miners Island, we even caught one going across the Inlet. You also might even pick up a Halibut or two. Watch your depth finder so you do not get hung up in the rocks.

Thanks for the info , I wonder if those places you named would show on my gps/alaska chip card? I am fully set with down riggers (4) , GPS/chart plotter / radar.... I have fished for halibut around hoonha to about the inian islands but I'm really hoping to get into the salmon so I hope there around at that time....and ill try my best to stay off the rocks.!!

Pay attention to the Elfin Cove charter operators - they will be trolling for Kings in the area and know where to be pulling herring around that time of the year. Gerberman gave you good gear and depth advice, herring work the best in the general Cross Sound area in late May until at least July. I preferred thin herring strips (fillets) in a Scotty "easy baiter" clip with a 4-foot tail leader behind a Hotspot flasher and 5/0 Gamakatsu octopus or Matsuo sickle hooks. You want your hooks "sticky" sharp.

For a change, if you see herring on the surface up in the shallows, try a 4 oz. banana sinker and a 6-foot leader with no flasher and slowly let your [whole herring, cut-plug, or strip] bait down approx. 25 feet while trolling ahead. Keep your speed at about 2.0 to 2.25 knots and you should produce some action with a slow-roll bait. I would think Lisianski Inlet, Soapstone, Mite Cove and etc. will all be easy to find on your GPS chip. Have fun and good luck.

If you don't see any of the charters around they are likely all on the outside, fishing off of Yakobi Rock down to Deer Harbor. Flasher/hoochie combos are more popular out there because there are so many hungry black rockfish around if you fish with herring you will spend more time changing out baits than fishing.

I have good luck with flashers and hootchies trolled between 90 - 160 feet. Also had good success with cut plug herring,coyote spoons, & batrix rubber baits. Might see you out there have a trip plnned about the same time.

Just an update here ... We ended up having an awesome trip . Went out to surge bay/deer harbour and had a king on every 5 - 10 minutes for 4 hours strait .... Also came back with our limits in Hali ,4 100 pounders a 206 pounder and lots of 30-60 pounders, ling cod , 1 yellow eye... Trip of a lifetime so much so I'm going again on the 28th again , thanks again for the tips

was going to say head to deer harbor area!

Congratulations on the great fishing! I'm going to be in the same area end of July and can't wait to get a line down! Where did you find the hali's and lings this year. We did really well in Fern Cove last year on the halibut, but could not find any lings. Planning to fish Yakobi Rock this year.

JWL, try either Soapstone or YaKobi rock areas for lings. Are you fishing with Kelly? I will be there first week of Aug.

I will be fishing with Kelly the last week of July, can't wait! Counting the days and studying the map! This is my second year, learned a lot last year, ready to try some new things this year.

Thanks Torpedo. We'll give those spots a try. We anchored off a pinnacle outside Soapstone last year but got into all yellow-eye. We quit pretty quickly since we were not very proficient at returning them to depth.

We're doing a bare-boat charter out of Juneau.

Jeff

We drifted from one pinnacle to another. Also I finally figured out the current and wind and had the boat drifting right along the edge of the shelf. Initially we also got into yelloweye but at some point switched over to lingcod when we started using jigs. Matter of fact we landed a hitchhiker 57 inch ling cod at soapstone 2 years ago.