Thread: Bear hunting, tide, and boots

Default Bear hunting, tide, and boots

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot, and am beginning to post on here in preparation for a summer visit. So far, lots of good information.

I'm planning to try for a coastal blackie in mid-June. I'm going to research and study/get familiar with the tide chart data for the entire summer, but I'm wondering about general advice for the hunting part.

What have you found are the best times to hunt bear - morning, afternoon, or evening? I'm assuming this is done while the tide is receding and low - and they come out on the grassy flats? I've been to far northern Manitoba in early July. Close to 20 hours of daylight! I'm pretty stoked about having that kind of daylight to play with!

Is it super mucky as a general rule, or does it vary a lot depending on the time of day, location, etc.?

What have you found are the best footwear? I need to invest in some new boots for this. I've had a pair of LaCrosse Burly's for a number of years, but they are shot. I would probably buy a pair of these again, unless someone has a strong opinion otherwise. The good feature of them is, they were tight around the ankle, so they don't come off in muck. The bad thing is, they are tight around the ankle, so when you come home after overdoing it and you are sore and stiff, they don't come off :-)

Thanks,

Tim

Xtratuffs, evening, and tide won't change where the grass is good. By June the grass game is dwindling down. Where ya gonna be hunting?

As for footwear, I have a pair of NEOS hipboots. They are overshoes. You wear your hunting boots with the NEOS. Works great. You have the support of your hunting boots with being able to wade across creeks, tide marsh, etc. "Fast bullets & sharp knives". Good luck. MET

Don't go with Burlys (unless they have the snow-bob soles). I tried them my first year here and they just aren't built for the slick beach grass or slime covered rocks - busted my butt frequently. I bear hunt in Cabelas waist-high "breathable" stocking foot waders. Agree that xtratuffs work well and afternoons/evenings are best. BTW - if you're planning on hunting SE, June is pretty late.

I'm considering the Homer area, but realize that I might need to go higher...

Open to suggestions too...