Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your shrimp opener????

Default How was your shrimp opener????

Just curouis how everyone did if they made it out on shrimp opener? The weather was awsome and dolphins(or porpusis im not sure what they are) where everywhere. I was able to get around 2.5 gallons of shrimp for about half a day of shrimping which isnt bad considering i had a really late start. Took the wife and kid out and enjoyed the time as a family. Didnt see many other people out. P4150157.jpgP4150162.jpg

Great !! I was going to head down this morning until I checked the weather 1 more time

TODAY...W WIND 20 KT. GUSTS TO 40 KT NEAR WHITTIER. SEAS 2 FT.
    .TONIGHT...W WIND 20 KT. GUSTS TO 40 KT NEAR WHITTIER. SEAS 3 FT.
    FREEZING SPRAY AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    .WED...W WIND 20 KT. GUSTS TO 40 KT NEAR WHITTIER. SEAS 3 FT.
    FREEZING SPRAY IN THE MORNING

Is the boat yard cleared yet ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Joe, I passed you leaving. I was the one slow moving going in. Long story, but I was down to one motor and it won't get me on step. We dropped back there and slept at the island. Did really good on our overnight soak and limped back in this morning.

Roger, go for it. Passage was a little lumpy 3' or so but once you hit port wells, it's flat smooth and no wind. Just Whittier area.
    And they haven't even started clearing that yard. Decent amount of parking in the ramp lot though. Good luck
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

[QUOTE=Rob B;1272529]Joe, I passed you leaving. I was the one slow moving going in. Long story, but I was down to one motor and it won't get me on step. We dropped back there and slept at the island. Did really good on our overnight soak and limped back in this morning.

Yeah i seen you coming in and I was going to swing by and interduce myself but i thought you where videoing the dolphins that where swiming with your boat. Sorry to hear about your motor issues, hopefully that all works out for you. We did prospect soaks on about 1hr apeice. Where going up this weekend leaving friday afternoon and coming back sunday night. Will be up next to pakenham

Nicely done, Joe! I wish I was out there now, but won't likely be able to make it happen until late May. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

As for what you saw, they are Dall Porpoises. Pretty cool to watch they swarm the boat, isn't it?

Yeah, we were watching them but trying to get settled for the night. I'll get it all sorted out. Just hope it's sooner than later.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Just curouis how everyone did if they made it out on shrimp opener? The weather was awsome and dolphins(or porpusis im not sure what they are) where everywhere. I was able to get around 2.5 gallons of shrimp for about half a day of shrimping which isnt bad considering i had a really late start. Took the wife and kid out and enjoyed the time as a family. Didnt see many other people out. P4150157.jpgP4150162.jpg

Really Nice, great picts, thanks for sharing.

wow, looks like summer's just right around the corner

You're killing me! Looks like a great time!

We pulled quite a bit, but not nearly what it used to be. Sent the GoPro down when the Dall Porpoises (Killer Dolphins as I call them) surrounded the boat. Got some great video! Sunburn in Apr....good times I tell ya, good times.

Is this an earlier start than normal up your way for shrimping?

Weather rocked, a little windy Sunday night on the way out but only close to town. We sent down a Sponge Bob toy (my 2 year old nephew's toy) and that pot had twice as much shrimp as the other four on our string! Awesome to get some sun this early. We boated over to Unakwik and visited with some family shrimping commercially and the ride was great (on Monday) a pond the whole way, and Porpusis were out in force although i think you just see a whole lot more when its flat calm like that pretty sure they are always there just not as easy to spot! Here is a few pictures!

150.jpg011.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    Is this an earlier start than normal up your way for shrimping?
    Nope, the April 15th opener is standard. Not many people make it out this early, but there are always a few brave souls.

Blood Vessel, How busy was that bay as far as commercial guys?
    MMSI# 338232859

I've got an Ace Pot Puller for sale. Here's the link.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?t=130728

we did pretty good... out on opening day and got back yesterday afternoon... all said and done, about 15 gallons of shrimp for 5 guys to split! Did some prospecting to try and find better spots. But you could not beat the weather! Sunny every day, and even tho the wind was whipping at Whittier a couple of days, it was better elsewhere - altho we did watch the snow getting ripped off the mountain tops around us...

Attachment 70009Attachment 70010
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    we did pretty good... out on opening day and got back yesterday afternoon... all said and done, about 15 gallons of shrimp for 5 guys to split! Did some prospecting to try and find better spots. But you could not beat the weather! Sunny every day, and even tho the wind was whipping at Whittier a couple of days, it was better elsewhere - altho we did watch the snow getting ripped off the mountain tops around us...

Your photos did not work ,Please try again love looking at the photos Plan on heading out on the 29th (Fingers crossed)
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post

15 gallons of tails or whole shrimp? Glad you had nice weather, and I am jealous of your early departure!

Dang Swissy. That's a great haul. Wish I knew you guys were out there. I would have motored over to ya. I was over at your training center last week too. ISO class.
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast