Thread: Knik River

Default Knik River

Where do you launch on the Knik. Glenn Highway access , or is there a better place off the Old Glen? Any fishing in there? Got the SportJon now and I want to get familiar with the streams close to the house.

I've always launched at the Glenn Hwy access. It is the best spot I have found for consistently decent water depth. Don't launch too close to the hwy though, it drops off like a cliff! Best bet is to drop in about 50 yds or so downstream of the guardrail that is there. The further downstream you launch, the more gentle the slope is (much easier on the boat/trailer!).

As far as fishing... I haven't done any. You might send Water_Gremlin a PM. He has fished the area quite a bit.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Eklutna

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Where do you launch on the Knik. Glenn Highway access , or is there a better place off the Old Glen? Any fishing in there? Got the SportJon now and I want to get familiar with the streams close to the house.
    There is also a launch at the Eklutna tailrace off the Old Glenn.

I saw on a different thread about a bunch of nails at the Knik access off the Glenn. Does anyone have an update on that?

That brings up another question: How safe is it to leave the truck at any of these launch sites? I know there are a lot of punks who get their jollies vandalizing vehicles and such, and I really don't feel like going through the trouble of tracking them down and whooping their arses (or, filing insurance claims and police reports--which is more likely what would actually happen--getting older and less inclined to physical violence these days). So I kinda want to reasonable sure my truck and trailer will be in the same condition when I return as it was when I left.

Wasn't the launch at the Eklutna Tailrace closed off and blocked by rocks?

Mud is spot on with launching instructions. I park by the Glenn Highway access unless I plan to run the upper stretches of Knik, then I park by Bodenberg.

I am contemplating running up to Knik on Saturday mourning to play around and possibly fish a bit. The wife has given me a go as long as I have someone to go with, but right now it's just me, myself, and I. Any takers? I may not have a speed demon of a boat but I am willing to run with another boat too.

i cleaned up the nails a couple of days ago....i put them in a pile right in the middle....hug the river side and you'll be fine....only picked up enough to make a clean path to launch but got 1000's of 'em....

...another access up the old glenn...at the 90deg turn...don't cross the bridge...just keep going straight....just over a mile on your left you'll see a drive going to the river bank....

the trailrace is no longer launchable....big rocks in the way....

tjm thanks for cleaning up those nails. I was going to take a shovel next time I went up there to try and get as many out of the parking lot as possible. Were you there on Wednesday night?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Wasn't the launch at the Eklutna Tailrace closed off and blocked by rocks?

Mud is spot on with launching instructions. I park by the Glenn Highway access unless I plan to run the upper stretches of Knik, then I park by Bodenberg.

I am contemplating running up to Knik on Saturday mourning to play around and possibly fish a bit. The wife has given me a go as long as I have someone to go with, but right now it's just me, myself, and I. Any takers? I may not have a speed demon of a boat but I am willing to run with another boat too.
    What you fishin' for Gremlin? I'll probably take the boat there, or maybe down to the Little Su this afternoon, just to get more familiar with driving it. Might want to stop and fish a bit though. I've heard there are probably a few early kings in the little Su, they come in a few weeks ahead of the main run. Is the Knik fishable for Kings also? Any special regs (single hook, etc.)?

Regs say you can only keep kings caught in the Tailrace since those are stocked. There are some good sized dollies, some bows, and the occasional king going up to the Tailrace. The water is kind of low right now for fishing but I could always show you a few holes. Jim Creek holds some monster dollies this time of year. I was going to attempt Jim Creek but it looked like a trickle running through the flats.

Is the KNik and Jim Creek open to fishing this time of year, or are they in the Palmer/Wasilla area that's closed until 14 June? Ain't got my regs handy.

Thanks for getting those nails. I am going to try and run in the Inlet out of Anchorage for a test run but it the water is rough I will head to the Knik. I think we have one of those 3ft wide magnet on wheels designed to clean up shops and stuff here at work. If I head up there I will see if I can borrow it for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    tjm thanks for cleaning up those nails. I was going to take a shovel next time I went up there to try and get as many out of the parking lot as possible. Were you there on Wednesday night?
    yep, i was there wednesday...
    ...It was pretty nutty how many nails there were....even using a magnet it seemed like it would never end...be carefull though...I only cleaned up a path to the launch...if you go too far to the right you'll hear an awful hisssing sound.....lol

LOL, ya, I saw the lil path and stuck to it. I was going to stop and say Hi, nice boat, and all that good stuff but after you were yanked out you were gone like a fart in the wind.

It looks like I am going to be able to test run in the Inlet tomorrow. I did pick up the magnet at work. It is huge, it is 6 feet long and 6 inches wide. It does have some power. The only problem is it is no longer on wheels and it would take two guys to operate. It has a large eye bold on each side and you could easily tie a robe to each and walk it around the launch. If anyone is heading that way shoot me a PM and you are more than welcome to borrow it.

I am hoping to be at knik tomorrow mourning, but the wife doesn't want me to go by myself. We'll see what happens.