Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Choose a Combo Trip Aboard Crackerjack, Seward 8/20

Default Help Choose a Combo Trip Aboard Crackerjack, Seward 8/20

Hello Everybody-

I just booked a combo trip aboard Crackerjack out of Seward for August 20th and am torn between a halibut/ling or halibut/salmon trip. (since we are the first to book the boat that day they let us choose)

After some deliberation, I decided on halibut/ling since we generally catch a lot of silvers in the Kenai during the rest of our trip but I would also love to learn to catch silvers in the saltwater...so, for those of you with experience doing both, if given the choice, what would you choose and why

Salmon/Halibut since fishing for salmon in the salt is a blast and you can catch more fish (=more fun). Ling fishing is one in the boat for you and your done. I did a Salmon/Halibut trip out of Seward and we (group of 14) got worn out on salmon. Must of caught 15 pinks each that day plus a limit of slivers and I got a 30 lb King at the same time. We then went Halibut fishing and pulled in a limit of butt and a couple of ling cod.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

My choice would be Lings for the same reason you described.
    Almost every single day I go out fishing here in AK, I am fishing for salmon. Whether its reds, kings or silvers.
    Without a boat, there is no way I could get to Lings. Also, I prefer eating rockfish/yellow etc. to silvers and I think you have a very good chance of getting into those while Ling fishing.

Have fun!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

if you are "on the harvest" and seeking meat, go for the salmon option; learning to catch silvers in salt-water is a no brainer
    if you are not chasing poundage and your scheduled day gives you optimum slack at tide change, fish the pinnacles and go for the ling

both options are good ones; your outfitter is excellent...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

PM Sent...

I'm agreeing with the logic that JR2 described.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I would pick the halibut/ling combo if I were in Homer, but in Seward I would like the halibut/salmon combo.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Halibut/ling is a solid choice, the salmon can be hit or miss but if the salmon fishing is hot I would forget about lings.

Ask Andy! Lol. I went on a ling/halibut charter (not crackerjack unfortunately since his reputation is stellar) and also caught salmon when done waiting for the other limits. Of course that means working hard or keeping say a 25 pound halibuts instead of waiting for 50 pounders so you have time.

By Aug 20 you can rent a skiff from Millers landing and should be able to catch silvers just about anywhere they allow. If the fish are in, it typically is easy. They hit almost anything.

We caught halibut and lings in a similar location so the question maybe to Andy is where he fishes halibut will you have a shot at lings if you choose the Halibut/salmon combo? Then ask will he have salmon gear available if there are any indications salmon are around if you choose halibut/ling.

I don't think I've ever fished on a charter in late July or August in Seward where we didn't run into silvers no matter what we were fishing for (maybe 5 times over the years).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Ask Andy! Lol. I went on a ling/halibut charter (not crackerjack unfortunately since his reputation is stellar) and also caught salmon when done waiting for the other limits. Of course that means working hard or keeping say a 25 pound halibuts instead of waiting for 50 pounders so you have time.

By Aug 20 you can rent a skiff from Millers landing and should be able to catch silvers just about anywhere they allow. If the fish are in, it typically is easy. They hit almost anything.

We caught halibut and lings in a similar location so the question maybe to Andy is where he fishes halibut will you have a shot at lings if you choose the Halibut/salmon combo? Then ask will he have salmon gear available if there are any indications salmon are around if you choose halibut/ling.

I don't think I've ever fished on a charter in late July or August in Seward where we didn't run into silvers no matter what we were fishing for (maybe 5 times over the years).

This was pretty much exactly my reasoning. I figured that if the silvers were around we may well be able to catch some in the same areas as the halibut and lings. (I did send AKCAPT a PM, hopefully I will hear back)

Regarding renting a skiff from Millers, we have a 17' Alumaweld Stryker with a 50 hp on it that we use to fish the Kenai. We may trailer it down to seward to try some silver fishing on our own in the bay if the weather cooperates and if the fish are within reach of that boat. (We will be staying at our home on the Kenai for 2 weeks. Should have plenty of silvers by the end of the trip anyway)

A a side note, at this point it sounds like there are only two of us booked aboard the Crackerjack for 8/20 halibut/ling combo trip so if anybody here is interested in coming along give Crackerjack charters a call and get on board! We'd love to fill the boat with like-minded fishermen ready to get out and have a great time!

Of course it's weather dependent but your boat is fine for silvers in the bay. If you can't go out, the bigger boats may still go out but it's probably not going to be "comfortable" even in a big boat.

I'd seriously consider planning to use your boat in Resurrection Bay. I grew up in Kenai (Kenai Kardinals, class of 84) and the Kenai River holds a huge place in my heart. But we just don't fish it as much anymore.

We've graduated to different platforms...friends with 26 ft hews crafts with dual 150's & me to a kayak. But before we did, we had a blast running our Kenai boats in Seward.

Oh to the point...you can catch anything from your Kenai river boat in Resurrection Bay that you could by taking longer range charters EXCEPT for ling cod. Yah, the halibut might not be as big, but the variety is there. But yes, safety first and weather needs to be good. But I get plenty of days off my kayak so the weather is usually cooperative.

So if you go that route, it's another consideration for what combo to take.

As I read it, it seems you have access to Salmon just about any time considering you have your own boat. Crackerjack usually runs toward Montague Island for his combo Ling/Halibut charters and in that area you have a 2 lingcod limit per day. Knowing that it is very difficult to get your boat to good Ling fishing I would say hit the Lings on your charter. Andy has some awesome spots for Lings/Halibut and you'll likely get to pick through several to keep the ones you want. You also run a high likelihood of having Silvers come to the boat as well while you are on anchor or drifting some off the pinnacles. The Rockfish on some of the pinnacles will be great as well. Lings/Halibut all the way if it were me.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I'm waiting for Andy to jump in here... But I don't think it will be on his boat if KenaiKeys' party is booked on the six pack. It will more than likely be Nik...

I just thought of something else... The combo trips I have been on are usually larger boats (10-14 people) so we stayed closer to the mouth of Res Bay. With six or less, you have fewer fish to bag for the whole boat, smaller boat less fuel to run to the Montague areas... I would put my bet on a Ling/Halibut trip.

Regardless I think either trip will be phenomenal!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    As I read it, it seems you have access to Salmon just about any time considering you have your own boat. Crackerjack usually runs toward Montague Island for his combo Ling/Halibut charters and in that area you have a 2 lingcod limit per day. Knowing that it is very difficult to get your boat to good Ling fishing I would say hit the Lings on your charter. Andy has some awesome spots for Lings/Halibut and you'll likely get to pick through several to keep the ones you want. You also run a high likelihood of having Silvers come to the boat as well while you are on anchor or drifting some off the pinnacles. The Rockfish on some of the pinnacles will be great as well. Lings/Halibut all the way if it were me.
    This was pretty much my thinking which is why I decided on the halibut/ling trip. We spend the majority of 2 weeks fishing on the middle Kenai out of our own boat and catch plenty of slivers during that time. And, weather permitting we plan on trailering our boat down to Seward for some silver fishing in the bay. It sounds like late August is as good a time as any to catch them close to the harbor.

I'm hoping the weather allows our charter to get out toward Montague (or other distant fishing grounds) and target some bigger fish. I'm really excited to get to fish with the Crackerjack crew, August can't get here soon enough!!

did the same trip with them 2 years ago, just a week earlier in August. 2 lings was the limit but they do encourage only 1 to protect the stocks. If you make it out to the usual grounds, you will more than likely also up up salmon as you halibut fish. Nik throw out a herring plug on sinker and who ever was not hooked up reeled in the silvers. 2 halibut, 2 ling and 3 silvers was the norm

So you've done all the right things -
    1. PM'ed Andy. I'm sure he's busy as heck right now but he'll reply.
    2. Kind of mentioned, but really when your fishing for halibut, your fishing for lings or you're real close to catching lings so you'll fish for them too.
    3. By 8/20, weather permitted, your going to run to Montegue then fish the 3 or 4 spots on the way back to limit on Salmon (3).

That time of year - it's not fish in the barrel but with Crackerjack, but they don't like boat rides... they all fish and compete against themselves so they'll put you on the fish, if they can.

Good luck
    Tony

Did you ask for other dates at Crackerjack or was this your intended time to visit Seward? Do you know by any chance how their bookings are going this summer? I'm thinking about a May trip to that area.

Intended time...Good luck, if you can get a seat on one of their boats in May I'm sure you will not regret it

I always chose the ling/halibut combo, and many times would pick up a limit of silvers as well since they often are in the same areas. If you go halibut/silvers, I'd suggest using a jig when halibut fishing - you're much more likely to pick up lings as "bycatch" when using a jig, along with all the rockfish. I've had plenty of combo trips with Crackerjack and ProfishNsea on which I got limits of halibut, black & yelloweye rockfish, lingcod and silvers. One reason I love Seward combos....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Wow, sorry i missed this discussion. I have been wrapped up in the SERVS oil spill training for the last four days. I did respond to the PM and what I told him was regardless of the second species, we fish for quality halibut first, then finish up with Chickens and can go for either lings or salmon at the end of the day with likely success for either being very high. Lings are more difficult if the there is wind and rough water. sometimes we will opt for salmon instead of lings if that is the case anyway.
    both Saltwater silvers and lings offer unique and different experiences. There is a good chance we pick lings up while halibut fishing and may even get some salmon while halibut fishing.
    The days of just renting a skiff in the bay and catching a bunch of silvers in late August, after the derby, have come and gone in Seward. You have to get lucky to find them willing to bite in the Bay or it has to be an exceptional year. in the open ocean we can and do find them at that time of year.

Either way fishing should be good and it is a matter of what you want to do for your day of fishing.

Look forward to seeing many of you in Seward this summer!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast