Thread: Looking for a good dog

Default Looking for a good dog

Hello everyone,
    I am fairly sure this is the wrong place to post this, as it has nothing to do with Mushing (for now at least).
    I am new to Fairbanks, just moved up here last summer, and am interested in getting a dog. I am eventually (in the next 10 years) interested in getting into dog mushing, but at the moment don't have the finances or space. I am interested in getting a sled dog type dog such as a Husky or Malamute, I have quite a lot of experience with dog ownership and have owned an Akita in the past, so I am quite sure I can work with this type of dog. I am not set on a pure blood Husky or Malamute, but I really enjoy the look of those breeds. I have looked quite extensively online for something in the Fairbanks area but have not found anything that I can afford. I was interested to know if anyone on this forum would be able to point me in the right direction for finding a dog. I am only interested in finding a puppy, as this dog will be a pet, and I want to build a good relationship with it from early on. If anyone on here knows of someone who is selling Husky/Malamute or Husky/Malamute mix puppies I would appreciate any information you can give me. The most I would be able to pay for such a dog is $500 or less (less would be very nice).
    Thank you all again for your help.

Check out the Second Chance Leauge. Here is a blurb I just clipped from their website.....

"The Second Chance League is a group of Fairbanks mushers focused on finding permanent homes for sled dogs. SCL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. We work with dogs exclusively from the municipal animal shelter in Fairbanks, evaluate them, foster them, and train them with our own dog teams. Many of these dogs have excellent bloodlines. Our goal is for the dogs to be successful. We strive to match the right dog to the right owner."

I think that you should have no problem finding an absolutely wonderful husky puppy here in Fairbanks. You definitely don't need to pay hundreds of dollars for it, especially since it is going to be more of a pet dog than a competitive racing dog. There are too many accidental breedings that happen and it seems that the shelter frequently has husky/lab or husky/sheperd mix puppies available for adoption.

Down the road, when you do start to build a dog team, don't discount older semi-retired dogs from racing kennels. Many of these dogs have many many miles left to run and many years of life yet to live, but they just can't keep up with the race team. They are often in very good health for their age because as racing dogs they've been fed high quality food, had lots of training and at least some sort of regular vet care. The right dog can add experience and maturity to your team and will teach you many things as well.

For now get ahold of the SCL folks and see if they have any leads on a pup. You might be surprised with what they or the borough animal shelter might have available.

If you're really thinking about getting into mushing, do not get a puppy. Get an experienced, trained-up dog. This time of year a lot of people are getting rid of their dogs (sad but true) and you should be able to find one that's seen a harness before. The rescue suggestion is a good one, and definitely check out the bulletin board at Cold Spot. Also, you can try posting to the Two Rivers Dog Mushers Association Facebook page, and check out the ads at sleddogcentral.com.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Thank you for the information, I will contact the Second Chance League and see if they might know anything. And in the future when I do decide to put together a team, I am quite certain that I will be looking into picking up an older experienced sled dog.

You might want to do a bit of research first. Working with an Akita is way different than Huskys or Malamutes, especially Malamutes. These dogs even as pets need special attention. JMO
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    You might want to do a bit of research first. Working with an Akita is way different than Huskys or Malamutes, especially Malamutes. These dogs even as pets need special attention. JMO

General malamute behavior:
    Can catch and eat rabbits whole
    Likes to fight other dogs for no good reason at all
    food aggressive
    Hates bears
    Eats lots of food
    Shed's lots of fur
    Always looking for a tummy rub
    Shows teeth at anyone other than the owner if hollered at or told what to do.
    Digs holes everywhere, to bury unfinished treats.
    When they "break wind"....it will swamp out a large room, must evacuate.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    food aggressive
    Hates bears
    Eats lots of food
    Shed's lots of fur
    I agree but, they make **** good wheel dogs, got the strength
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    food aggressive
    Hates bears
    Eats lots of food
    Shed's lots of fur
    We have a malamute/Sheppard mix, great with the kids and does not fight but everything else on the list is true. The shedding is terrible, bags of hair a day off the beast and the gas can clear a room for sure. Great dog otherwise.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    We have a malamute/Sheppard mix, great with the kids and does not fight but everything else on the list is true. The shedding is terrible, bags of hair a day off the beast and the gas can clear a room for sure. Great dog otherwise.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    must be nice. most folks i talk to about their malamutes, often have stories of their malamutes almost killing other dogs, and ending up with heavy vet bills. just the other day, my female saw a large black lab over 100 yds away. she went on a dead-run and attacked the dog seconds later. after she had puppies, she's a dominant, grumpy girl with other dogs. I can't even go to the dog parks, or hike where other dogs might be with her off leash.
    there was a big male malamute that I almost kept, but he too was unpredictable. he would growl if you so much as looked at him while he ate, and he'd darn-near break the fence down to attack my neighbors if they came to visit and knocked on the fence. he bit his owner so bad, that his entire arm turned black n blue from the bit-force. needless to say, the owner of that dog didn't convince me to keep him. I only take him for walks occasionally because my female loves him, it's her big dumb buddy. when malamutes get together......they want to fight and kill. they are not house pets.

I have some half husky half lab pups I would let you have one if you like................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

I Have a malamute, and my in-laws have two of them. they are great with kids and people. when my malamute was a puppy I would work with him when it came to food and there has been no aggression at all when it comes to food. I will have to agree with the dog aggression, some dogs he loves like my lab or my parents 10 pound mini Australian shepherd but other dogs he is not the best with. he does dig a lot and he is very good at digging out of the yard, he has killed a few chickens and got a snowshoe hare but did not have time to eat it whole lol. In the end if you take the time and train your dog (my malamute has his novice rally title so lots of time training him) then you should have half way decent dog.