Thread: No Bears Yet

Default No Bears Yet

Hunted the South Side of Knik river (nope, ain't tellin anyone how I got there) around Hunter Creek and not a single bear print that is this years'. Saw a couple of fox and momma moose with new baby and a porcupine. Used a rabbit call and nothing came out; saw the fox when I was driving by the Old Glenn bridge...

What's more; is that the snow is only melted a little; the mountains are still 3/4's snow. Plan on heading up towards Sutton tonight... will report tomorrow if we see anything.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default No bears in the air

Last Friday evening, flew the length of the Little Su to the Inlet, back up the Big Su to the Alexander and up to the Lake. Jumped across to the Yentna and up to Shell Lake, Hewitt Lake and on to the Kachatna.
    Summary:
    19 Moose, no bears, not even tracks (we were low enough) and the Pike in Alexander Lake are huge! The word seems to be out that 16B is a Predator Control Unit as the bears have split!
    Talking to a friend though who has a cabin on the Yentna, he found a few blacky tracks and one set of very large Browny tracks Sunday evening.

I have a good-sized brown bear in my area, plus a bunch of black bears according to all the tracks. Making a run up there tomorrow and hope I'll have something in the bait. If not, then I'll just travel further up where the brownie is hanging out and try and call him in with my Foxpro FX3 caller for a friend of mine.

Default Finally

There out, but still at the higher elevations and not coming down to the green stuff. I'm a little confused; I thought they came down asap to eat green grass chutes and water up to help "unplug". I was around hunter creek again and some burly hiker type guys came down and said that they glassed about 12 bears in one day last weekend but you had to be up at the snow line to see them. Anyone have any ideas on when they start coming down?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

this week they should be in the lowlands in the willow area if they follow their traditional routine. Usually memorial weekend is pretty busy at the bait.

Man I hope so I have not had anything hit my bait yet.