Thread: Anchor line , 3/8 or 1/2 ?

Default Anchor line , 3/8 or 1/2 ?

Hey guys just wondering if 3/8 rode is to light for my boat or not . I have a 22ft thunderjet ob offshore I'm guessing its under 5000lbs. Just anchoring while fishing around elfin cove / hoohna area . Thanks for the info in advance

I doubt 3/8 is too small strength-wise, but if you're pulling anchor my hand you'll be lots happier with something bigger. I'd go with the half and be happy both for the extra strength and larger diameter in your hands.

Agreed ...... 1/2" is the better choice. I you get an anchor stuck on the bottom .... and have to tie it off to a cleat and pull it free .... you're going to feel better about towing on it with 1/2".

agree, 3/8" would be no fun to pull by hand, Yale makes a "Eight Brait" that takes up 1/2 the space of 3 strand.

http://www.yalecordage.com/pleasure-...lon-brait.html
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I didn't see a price, but really like how much less space the eight brait takes up compared to 3 strand.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I didn't see a price, but really like how much less space the eight brait takes up compared to 3 strand.
    .87 per foot for 1/2" at Defender
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

The thing to remember when sizing a rode is not just it's strength when new and in pristine condition, but it's strength after a few years with some UV degradation, abrasion and other wear and tear and in less than ideal situations. My boat is 1/2 the weight of yours and I went with 1/2" rode, and also 30' of 1/4" chain which both protects the rode from abrasion and effectively makes the anchor heavier.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My boat is 20000lbs fully loaded , I pull and anchor over 600 times a season, I use a drum type easy anchor puller, I use 3/8" braded anchor line with a 33 pound anchor with 30ft of 3/8 chain. If the anchor puller can not free the anchor I use a float to pull it. You should not have any problem using 3/8" on a 5000 pound boat.

I plan on just using a buoy and ring to pull it to surface ..... Captaindd pretty much sealed the deal for me on the 3/8 ..... I only get to Alaska about 3 trips a year for halibut fishing so I was hoping to save a couple pennies by going with 3/8