Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water restriction for boat

Default water restriction for boat

Looking to find what rivers/lakes have a restriction on engine size.
    I can not find it on the Fish and game site.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The Kenai is limited to 50hp and I believe the Swanson river is limited to 16hp. Don't know if that helps

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I called Fish and Game and troopers and neither of them heard of restriction on Maud and Duck lake.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I called Fish and Game and troopers and neither of them heard of restriction on Maud and Duck lake.
    Don't know about Maud (i think you mean Mud Lake) but it's in the regs for Duck Lake, It' called all other waters. 20 HP

The Knik River Public Use Area has a seasonal HP restriction on Jim Lake at the very end of Maud Road. Its lifted at the end of August.

There are no other HP restricted waters at KRPUA.

The lakes that are part of the Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department have HP restrictions. These are not part of a F&G regulation. A year or two ago there was a pike fishing thread that went into the boat use at Fire Lake and there was a thread on Anchorage lakes that could be used to test a boat without having to drive to the Valley. Both threads provided links to the ANC Parks and Rec motorized boat rules website.

Ray, I don't know about or have not heard of hp restriction on the Lakes joining into Jim Creek. Swan, Grass, Mud etc. I've used my airboat extensively on these lakes in spring and summer. Where did this info come from. The primaryrestriction I am aware of concerns the hayflats and the 20 hp rerstriction there. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Ray, I don't know about or have not heard of hp restriction on the Lakes joining into Jim Creek. Swan, Grass, Mud etc. I've used my airboat extensively on these lakes in spring and summer. Where did this info come from. The primaryrestriction I am aware of concerns the hayflats and the 20 hp rerstriction there. Bud
    Bud, its been discussed since 2008 in numerous posts when the Knik River Public Use Area started to become a reality. I know that in several threads on here I have posted links to the resources that contain this into.

A map from the management plan showing the two water bodies that have seasonal restrictions. The title contains the word "proposed" in the final plan. The final plan is based on all the public comments. The interesting thing is that the list of fines for the various violations in the KRPUA does not include one for over HP on the two water bodies that are seasonally restricted. Maybe that is under "harassing fish and wildlife" since the restriction is for nesting season only.

The KRPUA management plan.

The KRPUA website.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Don't know about Maud (i think you mean Mud Lake) but it's in the regs for Duck Lake, It' called all other waters. 20 HP

You have a link?
    DNR said same thing, no restriction on Duck lake .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 20 HP restrictions

Waterfowl Hunting regulations
    Page 11

States the following:
    Under Palmer Hayflats State Game Refuge

On all other refuge waters you may use an outboard motor of 20hp or less. Aug 16-March 31st.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Waterfowl Hunting regulations
    Page 11

States the following:
    Under Palmer Hayflats State Game Refuge

On all other refuge waters you may use an outboard motor of 20hp or less. Aug 16-March 31st.
    thanks for the info. Weird though on fish and game page it list rabbit slough 3hp tell 1 sept
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thats because they dont want all the yeh-whoos in there tearing up the salmon run. I think the restriction is until August 15th..not Sept 1. Seems after that we are running it on a regualar basis.

thanks for the info. Weird though on fish and game page it list rabbit slough 3hp tell 1 sept
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks again. I called everyone and got the answer I posted before.
    glad I got this cleared up
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

There are a few of us that camp out there a day or two before opening morning and have for years. What you have to watch out for is the fishing regs for this area trump the regs for the weekend use 6am-6pm. Many after the 15th will be running up to brush blinds and set up spots before season opens during the weeekdays.

See ya out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    There are a few of us that camp out there a day or two before opening morning and have for years. What you have to watch out for is the fishing regs for this area trump the regs for the weekend use 6am-6pm. Many after the 15th will be running up to brush blinds and set up spots before season opens during the weeekdays.

See ya out there.
    Aug 15 people go up and set up spots?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Aug 15 people go up and set up spots?
    We still have the problem of some going out and leaving deks the day before to "hold" their spot. Problem is,its illegal and can really cause problems opening day, some even go out, set up, and sleep in their blind, which would be legal. Any particular spot is first come, first served hunting. Opening day in most areas is a zoo. According to F&G, its illegal to build a blind out there, but there is no deffinition of the word build, anything from a pile of brush to a tarp to a fully wood constructed blind. Most blinds have been burned or removed by F&G. Bud
    Wasilla

Im totally against going out and setting decoys couple days before just to save a spot.
    One thing to camp out there and it's another to put decoys and leave. This chap my ass in the worst way.
    as for building blinds, no clue on that one.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Most agree with you on this subject. I t hs been an issue in the past in some areas out there..but for the most part and the guys I hang around out there we just enjoy the evening before. The setting of being out there...campfire and telling stories etc. We talk a strategy and work the marsh. Just enough to keep the birds moving. Always works out pretty good.

There are few that move out there and do as Bud described...and they usually go about their way...most are inexperienced or just don't care about the regs..if we see it, they get an earfull or an education regardless iftheywant it or not..

Im totally against going out and setting decoys couple days before just to save a spot.
    One thing to camp out there and it's another to put decoys and leave. This chap my ass in the worst way.
    as for building blinds, no clue on that one.

Nice that people hang out night before. That's what memories are made of.

Issue is leaving decoys few days ahead so they have there spot.
    Why they did this ? To many reasons why.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have not seen it done for a few days..mostly are going out to scout, see what the flight patterns are and just brush up an area to hunt in. I have heard the stories on this. I also have seen decoys during the season out there left by someone..not sure if they were just taking a break and coming back that afternoon to hunt ro what..but I just left them alone and never saw who did it. I do know that it is not common on the main lake..most guys that do it are tucked back into holes out there.

Nice that people hang out night before. That's what memories are made of.

Issue is leaving decoys few days ahead so they have there spot.
    Why they did this ? To many reasons why.

My point is everyone has a right to hunt any area. Once done hunting remove your gear. This give others a chance to experience some goos hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast