Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are felt soles out for the KP?

Default are felt soles out for the KP?

just wondered...thanks

Yes, they are.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

AKHIPPIE you are such a downer Man! Nice Quotes! That being said the entire state has a restriction and this year lucky us Hunters can't have them either. Miners, Biologist, Feds, Rec Rafting and anyone else can wear them. Just not people who fish and people who hunt. SAD SAD SAD

Gotta say that my felts wore out a couple of years ago, and in anticipation of the ban I went to rubber soles with metal cleats. Best thing that ever happened to me. They're so much better than felt that it's zero contest. Zip. Nada. If they legalized felt again tomorrow, I wouldn't go back to it on a bet. Pure rubber soles are an accident waiting to happen, but with the cleats..... Wow.

Thanks guys....ordered a pair today.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    AKHIPPIE you are such a downer Man! Nice Quotes! That being said the entire state has a restriction and this year lucky us Hunters can't have them either. Miners, Biologist, Feds, Rec Rafting and anyone else can wear them. Just not people who fish and people who hunt. SAD SAD SAD

Aw, I love you too Moose...Almost as much as I love my non-felt waders!

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Felt is out for everyone...not sure where you read exceptions? call F&G if you think they still wear them... 746-6300

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Thanks guys....ordered a pair today.
    Of non felt? Felt waders aren't allowed anywhere in the state.

To the OP: What kinda waders didja get?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

To the OP: What kinda waders didja get?
    More to the point: what kinda cleats? I'm guessing these aren't just sheet metal screws.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Felt is out for everyone...not sure where you read exceptions? call F&G if you think they still wear them... 746-6300

Of non felt? Felt waders aren't allowed anywhere in the state.
    Can you post a link where you read that? Curious as to when and how that was passed.

Board of Fisheries originally banned felt for fishing in freshwater statewide effective January 2012.
    Board of Game followed and banned it for hunting in freshwater statewide effective January 2013.

I never saw anything that prohibited any other activity (mining, rafting, granola crunching) or for any use in saltwater.
    Just trying to stay accurately informed. Thanks.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

:-) thanks Hippie Don't know if I need that kinda of loven :=) Just sayen. AK Cowboy I have been in contact with the ADF&G and as of two months ago only Fisherman and Hunters are banned from using them. There is a policy letter that was put out to State employees telling them not to use felt however that were not implicated by the ban legally just policy letter. If you have different information please share the report would love to read it however please note to the best of my knowledge unless something has recently changed on fisher type people and hunters are currently banned from utilizing felt soles. For giggles I will contact them again on Tues and confirm the previously provide information. What chaps my behind " that is besides the wind" there are documented studies by the state and the feds stating is the the particular issues concerning Rock Snaught are not applicable to most watershed above certain areas in the state "YET"

I tried everything under the sun last year and busted by ars several times with my spanking new rubber soles and cleats. Spent a lot of money and purchased three types wanted to give them a fair shake. Nope no way shape or form in any situation are they even close and or applicable to felt in regards to the rivers I fish. Sorry gents and ladies I have a bum knee to prove it. I can also provide at least three other people who took nose dives this summer who normally sport felt on the watersheds I normally fish all have the same results. NOPE NO WAY IN Sam H heck do they compare. That and cleats are not kind to rafts. I actually called the ADF&G told them were I was and if they would like to come ticket me meet me on the river with time and date because I was sporting felts soles.

Sorry for stealing the thread!

I have said to much!

Regards

RMM

:-) thanks Hippie Don't know if I need that kinda of loven :=) Just sayen. AK Cowboy I have been in contact with the ADF&G and as of two months ago only Fisherman and Hunters are banned from using them. There is a policy letter that was put out to State employees telling them not to use felt however that were not implicated by the ban legally just policy letter. If you have different information please share the report would love to read it however please note to the best of my knowledge unless something has recently changed on fisher type people and hunters are currently banned from utilizing felt soles. For giggles I will contact them again on Tues and confirm the previously provide information. What chaps my behind " that is besides the wind" there are documented studies by the state and the feds stating is the the particular issues concerning Rock Snaught are not applicable to most watershed above certain areas in the state "YET"

I tried everything under the sun last year and busted by ars several times with my spanking new rubber soles and cleats. Spent a lot of money and purchased three types wanted to give them a fair shake. Nope no way shape or form in any situation are they even close and or applicable to felt in regards to the rivers I fish. Sorry gents and ladies I have a bum knee to prove it. I can also provide at least three other people who took nose dives this summer who normally sport felt on the watersheds I normally fish all have the same results. NOPE NO WAY IN Sam H heck do they compare. That and cleats are not kind to rafts. I actually called the ADF&G told them were I was and if they would like to come ticket me meet me on the river with time and date because I was sporting felts soles.

Sorry for stealing the thread!

I have said to much!

Regards

RMM
    For those fishing the Russian and Kenai, my group has gone to korkers with changeable soles, studs when were hiking and all rubber from a boat, none of us (4) would go back to felt even if we could. .02 cents...

Yeah I kinda agree with you moose, I think felt is better, but the ban gave me a reason to buy more gear, so I bought Korkiers. I have to admit they aren't half bad with the kleats. To each there own I guess, but I will be following the rules, good luck on not getting caught.

I have a couple pair of breathables, just needed new boots as mine are both felt soled.
    I've got a buddy with a fly shop so he ordered me a pair of Simms freestone non-felt, then we'll put some studs in them. He said that was the best, most econ way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    More to the point: what kinda cleats? I'm guessing these aren't just sheet metal screws.
    There are lots out there. The Korkers I have are nothing more than tire studs for cars. My wife's Simms are oversize "stars" imbedded with chunks of tungsten carbide. Simms also sells sets of hex head screws with imbedded tungsten carbide chunks you can screw into any rubber sole. We've used those too. I keep hearing about some aluminum studs someone has, but haven't hunted them down.

One very good thing I discovered. Felt on ice in winter is worse than bad. The studs on ice are as good as studs on car tires. Studs in mud are infinitely better than felt too, because the rubber tread is still there to keep you from sliding. Been landed on my head waaaay too many times with felts on ice and mud. Dunno if it's brain damage from all those felt sole falls or fact, but I sure prefer the studs.

Sorry about the rant last night! Very long day and I have stolen the thread knowing I should have not. My bad 100% should not have done that. For the record I have the SIMS, Korkers with changable soles and the Caddis I spend about 50 days a year in rubber boats I know a sick person eh! I will be sporting Felt :-)

Felt was never meant for mud or ice so of course studs are better for hiking. That was never the question. The question was what is best for gripping slippery rocks while WADING.

I've got some kind of fancy top of the line Simms guide boot with star studs and they do not even begin to compare with felt. The soles are so stiff you can't feel the bottom properly and the 'slips then sort of grips' (slips on rubber portion then grips to some degree when the carbides hit the rock) nature of their performance is half azzed at best.

I too took my first ever face first full plunge last season and it was because of no felt.

Glad you know what works for you. I know what works for me, too.

If anyone has some felt soled waders in size 9.5 to 10, I'll take them off your hands if you are just gonna toss em. Please pm me if they're in good shape and they need a new home. Thanks.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

There are occassions where I do miss my felt soles, and like others here I've had more slips than in the past, but in general I've liked the non-felts in the day to day uses (trails, brush, cutbanks etc.). I just have to go a little slower now, which actually ain't a bad thing at my age.

As to the Korkers with interchangeable soles. Man, I guess if you're road based and can get to a store to exchange em when they fail, that'd be great, but I've had too many clients over the years have those things go tits up on a remote float and wound up slipping and sliding with duct taped soles the reast of the trip.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast