Thread: Kodiak 2015 brown bear hunt

Default Kodiak 2015 brown bear hunt

On February 26th, after much research and discussions, I booked my dream hunt for brown bear on Kodiak for Spring 2015 with a very reputable and legendary outfitter in a very quality area.

Today, I was informed that he cannot fulfill the contract and my deposit was returned. I was told: "The primary problem unfolding is an Indian village is making moves to take some or all of my bear permits in one of my areas."

Any ideas on what's happening in Kodiak?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

That sucks! I too have had my hopes dashed on Kodiak hunt, was pulled for a permit, only to be notified four days later that the state had a "do over" and my hunting partner and I were the only ones not redrawn! While the local ADGF official was very sorry, and tried to explain why the state had to draw again, it didn't pass the smell test. I know the feeling! Planning a Kodiak bb hunt is a lot of money, time , and effort, state officials and land owners need to respect the process they're involved in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    On February 26th, after much research and discussions, I booked my dream hunt for brown bear on Kodiak for Spring 2015 with a very reputable and legendary outfitter in a very quality area.

Today, I was informed that he cannot fulfill the contract and my deposit was returned. I was told: "The primary problem unfolding is an Indian village is making moves to take some or all of my bear permits in one of my areas."

very sad and soory to hear. can you say what area?
    wes

there is a few areas that are majority native land owned, and they control the land use permits that allow guides to use the area. so if they are unhappy with the guide there, they could bring in their own guide and more or less take over the area...or decide to allow another guide to use the area instead....and whoever is guiding the area has the best shot at getting the tags...
    usually the south end of the island.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Any idea on the areas in question? I have a permit on the south end for the Fall of 2013.

Thanks for any info. Rastus

Jake, I sent you a PM
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    Any idea on the areas in question? I have a permit on the south end for the Fall of 2013.

Thanks for any info. Rastus
    Southwestern part of Kodiak

Here’s what I found just from researching on the internet. There is some private land ownership on Kodiak. Some surface area is owned by some native villages, and some subsurface areas of all native lands are owned by Koniag, Inc. Apparently, Koniag is 1 of 13 regional native corporations established by Congress in 1971 under the terms of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.

The outfitter/guide I'm speaking of operates in 3 areas: The surface of two of the areas is owned by US Fish and Wildlife; and, a portion of the third area is owned by native corporation. This is according to Koniag’s maps. See http://www.koniag.com/our-lands/maps/

According to AF&G some private lands around an old village site is not managed by the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. I presume that's the area in dispute.

In 1971 12 Regional Corp (the 13th does not own land) were allowed to select a certain amount of land in Ak. The Regionals own surface and subsurface rights to their selected lands. Also in 1971, each town or village that was recognized as a Native village in the ANCSA act was allowed to select a certain amount of land. The villages got surface rights but the Regional Corp for each village got the subsurface rights. I am not aware of a regional corp. being able to control access to land they ONLY have subsurface rights to.
    There are village sites in Ak. that are abandoned and considered "historical" and access to that small area may be controlled by a Regional, or by a Govt agency.

Likely Brwnbr is correct and it is the land use permits that Romo's guide is losing. ADF&G controls the actual Bear permit.

Can't you get a better answer from the Guide you originally contracted, Romo?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

He's in bear camp right now and is supposed to be calling me upon his return around May 17th.

Southwestern part of Kodiak
    Thanks.
    I'll look into it a bit further and see what I can find out.
    Rastus

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    Thanks.
    I'll look into it a bit further and see what I can find out.
    Rastus
    Contact Kent Sundseth, Refuge Manager at Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. Kent gave me a lot of info today and was helpful as they come.
    http://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147501545