Help improve and make a difference in your community!
GREAT BOARD MEMBERS WANTED in the Valley: We're looking for a few talented and conscientious volunteer board members to lead and strengthen our programs on the Palmer Hay Flats State Game Refuge. If you can contribute your time, thoughtfulness, and leadership one evening a month and one event per year, and are interested in exploring this opportunity, email Kris Abshire at or the office at to find out whether this volunteer opportunity is right for you. We're especially looking for folks with interests in habitat restoration, hunting on the refuge, water-fowling, outdoor education, event coordination, volunteer recruiting, and fundraising. For questions about the organization or additional inquiries, please feel free to call 373‐7484 (Kris) or 357-8711 (Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats office). Visit our website: for in‐depth information about the Refuge and the organization. We look forward to hearing from you!

There has been a lot of criticism of the Alaskans for Palmer Hayflats and their projects. A lot of you, as well as myself have not been happy with some of what they have done and the direction they appear to be headed. I am considering volunteering to be on their board of directors, and I urge some of you to consider it also. Maybe working together on common goals is better then fighting. We, the hunters, I'm sure are the largest group of people who use the hayflats in the fall. However, there always seems to be people parked at reflection lake, the users of Reflection Lake itself, may even outnumber hunters if taken on a yearly basis.

I do pick up that the APH itself wants to work with us hunters and have more of us in their organization. I'm asking that some of you who do have the time and interest, consider being board members and maybe we can work together into improving the hunting opportunities and access problems. Bud