Thread: Trout,,where?

Default Trout,,where?

I moved here in Jan. and I still havn't even cast a line yet. I have to go fishing this weekend!! I know it's still early for salmon but has anybody starting catching trout yet. I just need a place to get started. I'm used to trout fishing (from southwest VA) small streams with bait so any tips for lakes or streams with no bait laws would help. I live in South Anchorage but I don't mind driving out if its a good chance I'll catch something. Thanks for the help in advance.

Thumbs up long way from VA

It's still early, but most of the lakes are open and any spinners and/or leech patterns should work. I've heard of some guys starting to catch fish later in the evening on dry flies. After the streams get some salmon spawning then you can start wading with some egg patterns and have a blast. I'm from south central VA myself (south hill, va) and it was a huge change in fishing when I moved here. Typically for a good time on a lake I just get some popcorn shrimp and pull up a chair.. But definately prefer wading the creeks later in the season..... my best advise for AK is to make sure you read the regulations because the differ so much even on the same stream.
    good luck fishing...
    Travis

Default trouts

Stop by Mountain View Sports and talk to one of the guys there. They have a wealth of information.
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Learn to fly fish Go to May Su stocked lakes.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I need to learn how to fly fish!!

Thanks for the help. I ended up going to a lake on Ft Richardson. I caught 4 decent rainbows! Nothing to get too excited over but better than sitting at home. I couldn't get a hit on any spinners so I had to result to worms. (laugh but it worked). Anybody know where I should go to learn how to fly fish?

I'd go to Mt. Veiw sports, also Alaska Fly FIshers does a seminar every year but I think it might be over, you could also just buy a walmart combo with the instructional video and flail around for a while, thats how I learned. Once they get the stocking truck rolling cast dry flies to rising fish and you'll be hooked. With a class the learning curve is much steeper but flailing around you can figure it out (only took me two years to learn the double haul )
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Go to the Base Exchange on Elmendorf AFB for a fly combo. They are less expensive for one and have a variety of selections to choose from. Best thing to get the hang of it is (1) Get a combo and just hit one of the base/post lakes and practice (2) Find someone you work with who knows the trade and see if they wouldn't mind giving a few pointers. (3) Just practice learning how to cast. You can just tie a piece of yarn at the leader tip and practice hittin' a plate or something. You could also just go to one of the base or post lakes and practice that way.

I'm relatively new to fly fishin' myself and learned the basics of casting. Now it is just a matter of practicing. Here is a website I discovered that is good for the beginner fly fisherman.

http://www.hooked-on-flies.com/